Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP ME TEACH >
  • HELP ME TEACH

• HELP ME TEACH

Old 12-15-2010, 08:09 AM

I would teach a small project so she has instant gratification and won't be disappointed with too many facts and suggestions. Try a doll blanket or pincushion or small purse.
    Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Several years ago - okay, 38 years ago - I taught beginner sewing classes at our local Singer Sewing Centers (remember those?!?!?). The first thing I did was to teach them how the machine works ("DON'T SNAP THE PRESSER FOOT DOWN!!!"). Then to practice stitching, I had them practice sewing using only a used/dull needle on paper. I had straight lines, angles, curves (gentle and not-so-gentle to gauge mechanical skills), circles of three sizes, and stitching a 5/8" seam allowance from a highlighed line drawn (it was a garment sewing program). The important thing was to get them used to coordinating foot pedal pressure for consistent speed (regardless how fast it was) and coordinating the position of the needle in relationship to the line. After looking at the papers, I could see exactly where they needed help and attention in the actual mechanics of sewing with a machine. In addition to sewing charm squares together (for potholders, table runners, wall hangings - maybe with fusible appliques!), I'd also suggest a tote/gift bag project, or buying a ready-made panel and sewing on borders. I suggest the panel because sometimes it's more important to the kid to make/complete something "big" like the person who teaches her does all the time; then, since they finished something "big" and I have their attention, we work on refinement skills and incremental challenges and skill-building. Hope this helps, and thanks for listening!
    Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 AM

My first project when a little girl was an apron. Then I started on clothes. I was making a lot of my clothes by 10. When I got to high school, I had to take home ec even though I didn't want to. First project - an apron!!!
    Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Strip blocks, sewn onto paper squares, then sashed and sewn together. Be sure to show her how to press each seam with either iron or handheld presser.
    Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Whatever you decide to do and how to teach her HAVE FUN!

My daughter, now 16, has always loved it when my mom comes and they spend time sewing together. What precious memories my daughter will have with her Granny. That to me is (and hopefully to her someday)more important than anything!
    Old 12-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Putting the thread on the bobbin is the coolest thing to watch for those who have never done it.
    My opinion, Basic Machine, how to change stitch lengths, create zig zag, how to thread, make a bobbin :) sew a straight seam, even if using a light stripe to follow, I wouldn't get too hung up on the 1/4 seam as long as they are all the same, can teach that later and why. Mark and cut, some adults don't like rotary cutters, I'd be a wreck to let a little one loose with one:) can make a pattern out of news print, freezer paper, etc. How to use a tape measure, what the markings mean.
    Apron, Pillow case, Pillow, Drawstring bag, easy and quickly done.
    Good Luck and have Fun !!

Oh goodness have a 9 year old in my world, will be watching for all the good advise here :)
    Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

This worked well with my children and makes a very nice quilt that they themselves can make. I would recommend rotary cutting the strips for her but besides that she can do the whole quilt herself.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...ilt&i=635&pg=4
    Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM

Your grandaughter is a lucky girl.
    A pillowcase (hot dog method) would be easy, and she could pick out the perfect fabric!
    A mini quilt for her favorite doll.
    A little tote bag for her things.
    A little purse for her.
    An apron, so she could help you in the kitchen.
    A special birthday placemat.
    Some of those coasters made with the four pieces of overlapping fabric (sorry, can't recall their name).

Oh, there are so many things...the hard part will be choosing which one.

p.s Little felt ornaments in the shape of mittens, stockings, snowmen, stars, bells...etc. She would learn careful cutting, and could stitch around the edges, and then decorate them with glued on sequins, beads, cording, etc.
    Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM

I still have my first project - a potholder. I learned sewing including pivoting at corners when it was quilted and embroidery when I decorated it with a jack-o-lantern. It was also finished with a blanket stitch. I was 9 years old when I made it and at 61, I'm still proudly using it.
    Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 PM

My thanks to everyone for the suggestions and encouragement in making this new experience a fabulous one for me and my 10 yr old GD. I really like the idea of taking first things first, so I'll be teaching her about operating her machine safely, then threading it and winding the bobbin. After she masters those things, I have her practice on sewing on the lines of coloring book pages. When those steps have been completed, I'll have her choose a project (pillowcase, draw-string purse, doll quilt, etc) and allow her to shop from my stash. Really looking forward to this, can hardly wait for Santa to bring her new machine.