Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Need advice on how to fix a quilt top

I think it is very subtle and I didn't notice it at first probably wouldn't have if you wouldn't have told me and obviously some of the previous posters don't know what you are talking about because they don't see it. It's beautiful and I think I would leave it alone. Swastikas are red aren't they? These aren't.

Also, I'm German and not offended.
    Last edited by Zyngawf; 11-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    I was born and raised in Germany and for the life of me I see nothing wrong. That pattern inherently has "that" style. All I see is Roman Stripes.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    Please do a google of the pattern you are talking about . It is not just the symbol you are thinking about. I would not worry about it. This symbol is used in many cultures around the world through the centuries and One very bad apple should not own you or your thoughts and perceptions.

peace and love
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I would just applique flowers over the "offending" blocks and enjoy the beautiful results

Quote Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
    It's settled. I'm going to try to fix the quilt. I sent a photo to my mom and she saw "it" immediately. To some of us, it's not a big deal. But to someone like my mother that had to grow up witnessing the horrors of what that symbol stands for, well, it still scares her to this day. The quilt is actually for my husband for his TV room, but I don't want my mom (or anyone else) to be offended. Wish me luck as I start picking stitches.
    Good luck with fixing the quilt.
    Linda Lee

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110 View Post
    I would just applique flowers over the "offending" blocks and enjoy the beautiful results
    Definitely a safer road to travel! No one will know it was not intended that way.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Charming View Post
    OMG.....you brought out memories from last year. The kids kept picking on me all season last years after I made the same mistake and I still tease them and put this quilt every year on a different table. Here it is....and of course this year I have a small nativity on it
    Anyways back to the solution. I did that on few blocks last week just carefully removed the stitches and the took out the blocks fixed them and sewed them back....doable really but with attention.
    Good luck
    So glad to know that I'm not the only one who did this...and didn't see it in time. lol.

Honestly it took me a bit to find the mistake. Looking at the quilt as a whole, you really do not notice the blocks that are not correct. Its a very nice top, and I wish you much luck in fixing it.
    Amythyst

You are wise to ask your mother directly. If what to most people is a pleasing design instead for her brings back painful memories, then it would be very kind and thoughtful of you to make changes in the quilt. It would take a bit of work, but because of your respect and concern for your mother, it would be worth it.

Only God is perfect. Quilting is therapy and un-sewing takes too much time! Learn from your experience, your mother will love anything you made yourself. Life is too short and the projects too many to sweat the small stuff!

Blog Entries
    Leave it alone. Your mother should take the quilt and love it as it is since you made it for her. The mistakes shouldn't matter. Years from now you will be able to laugh at the mistakes. The quilt is still beautiful so leave it because taking it apart is not going to be easy and you might do more damage them good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
    I would follow the advice of MTS & Sandym and redo the blocks. You will be happy you took the extra time to fix the blocks. It won't take that long to do them & you will be really happy with the results.
    I agree with the above quote. It's a beautiful quilt, but the symbol of oppression during WW II would maybe not be noticeable to your Mom, but why take the chance? A couple more hours to fix this will make it the perfect quilt, and not one that you wonder about it bringing back sad/bad memories to your Mom.
    Last edited by coopah; 11-29-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

QM
    I would go with the applique solution, probably stars. I just finished picking 2 blocks out of a quilt because I did not like them there after all. We all have problems like this sooner or later, usually both sooner AND later. After almost 500 quilts, I find mistakes still happen, or places where I change my mind. Don't be so hard on yourself. Do be careful not to stretch the fabric if you go with frog stitching (ripit).

If it bothers you that much, fix it. Like your mother I was raised during WWII. While we should not forget the horrors of that area, don't you think it is time to move on an not look for things that aren't there? I do not find your quilt offensive at all. Are you over thinking it a bit? A good pattern is a good pattern and the swastika symbol has been around for thousand of years. 1945 my mother took apart such a flag and made me a beautiful dress.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebee View Post
    Wow that is a beautiful quilt. I don't think Mom will notice. I know what you mean about a German woman's perfection!! You can always tell her you wanted to test her. Just to make sure she was still as sharp as ever!
    You certainly can leave the blocks alone. I would not try to take it apart as you might mess up your measurements inserting a new block and find yourself in more of a pickle. You probably are a perfectionist just like your mom. At our "mom's knee"...that is where we learn. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    I now know where the perfectionism comes from, my German heritage. It just goes to show what you can learn from this board. And I personally like the test idea.

I see nothing wrong! It's perfect as is....and the love is too obvious!

It is nice I do understand why you would not wont to give that to your mom that way. But one person said it go but some thing in the middle it would still look good. love to see what you end up doing with it.

MOTHER WILL NOTICE ! And she did. My husband's family plays a lot of Mah Jongg. Once, when we were finished playing for the day, I pushed all the tiles to the center of the table and put the tile racks around them. (The racks are just long sticks that hold the tiles while you play.) To push in the tiles, I placed each rack so that it stuck out on the end, making a square in the middle. John's 12 year old Jewish grandson saw that and had a fit. He was just shaking as he changed it.

Don't tell me that the word "gay" will ever go back to being a "nice" word. When I was little, we were all happy and gay. You can't say that anymore. No matter who you are!

You will be so much happier after you change it. My thought would be to applique a square of a very light color in the center of each block, the same color for all, to hold everything together, but put the square on the bias. That would add interest.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I feel the same about the blocks.
    I guess if it were me I would take it apart and make a rail fence out of it. Big job.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

I am sitting here looking at the blocks and you know what, it looks like it is a positive and negative type of quilt, I actually kind of like it myself, but sit and look at it on the computer and think about it for a minute before you take the blocks out, it is kind of cool, the white and blue centers look like it is suppose to be that way, just my opinion.

Well I know what a swastika looks like and I do not see a problem with your quilt. But, if you do, there you probably will not be happy until you fix it. Don't think you Mother would notice unless you pointed it out, just like the majority of the comments said 'did not see a problem'.
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I'm German, like your Mom. If it really bothers you (it doesn't bother me) how about appliqueing something into the center of each of the offending designs? Maybe a star or a heart or just a simple square in another color.
    I agree with ArtsyOne. Just a simple applique in the center would fix it fast and no tearing out stitches.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I don't see the design anywhere except in the third block on the top row and the last block in the bottom row.. I think it's because the colors emphasize it. Because of their location, I don't think it will be much of a trick to take those blocks out and rearrange the colors. I didn't grow up in Germany, but was a little girl in the US during WWII and the design leaped out at me. I think you would have to stretch to see it anywhere else. The colors are lovely and the borders are wonderful. But I don't imagine that you will be happy with until you "fix" those two blocks. Please post a picture showing what you decided. And thanks for being sensitive enough to see the design and know it might have a negative effect on your mom. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
    This is only my third project...why I decided I could conquer a queen sized quilt without any problems is beyond me. Anyway, I pieced the quilt together and after having it on the floor for a few days, finally saw a big problem. I laid everything out before putting it together, how did I not see it then? There appears to be an "unfortunate" pattern in some of the blocks. Seeing how my Mom was born and raised in Germany during the War, I just cannot leave those blocks as is. How do I fix just three or four of the blocks without taking the entire quilt apart?

Blog Entries
    Haven't read all posts but my cousin made my mom the exact same pattern in a lap quilt. I have it on the wall now and there are a few blocks that show up the same way. They are all alike but it's just the darker color makes it more noticeable. I wouldn't change it.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I'm German, like your Mom. If it really bothers you (it doesn't bother me) how about appliqueing something into the center of each of the offending designs? Maybe a star or a heart or just a simple square in another color.
    j That is what I would do, remember a quilt label doesn't HAVE to be on the back so why not do a special label, possibly heart shape to put on the offending block?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast