Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with pet hair, please! >

Help with pet hair, please!

Help with pet hair, please!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Did you put a softener sheet in the dryer when you fluffed it? I find that gets it so much better than just running it thru the dryer.
No, I didn't think of it. I will do that, too.

Between the dryer, glove, and sticky roller sheets, it is looking so much better.

Everyone has been so helpful.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lilrain
i have not tried this, but a friend says it works, get the "Press and Seal" that is like Saran wrap and press it down on the fabric and she ways when you remove it the pet hairs come with it
Well, that is an idea that I would never have thought of. That would be worth a try, too. Thanks.

A friend, who does long arm quilting, uses press and seal to trace patterns on and then quilts through it. She uses lots and lots of it.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
Originally Posted by BRenea
Have you tried the Pledge Fabric Sweeper? I recently bought one to "de-fur" my furniture and it worked well...a little expensive for something disposable, though.
I have three pomeranians, very hair little buggers. When I first saw the commercial for the Pledge Fabric Sweeper, I couldn't wait to get one. I now have one in the living room and one in my bedroom. I've even used it on my throw rug under my dining room table. It works great, and even though it's disposable. It holds a heck of a lot of hair.
Several people have commented on the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. I will have to check on this at WM.

My granddogs are both Shiz tzus (spelling?) and I am surprised at how little they shed. A couple of times a year their undercoats get really matted, if you don't keep them brushed well.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am so glad that I posted this. Tomorrow I am going to take the quilt outside and check out my progress. :)
Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 PM

My best conclusion would be the lint roller.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
I have a nice quilt that I just finished putting the binding on and it has lots of pet hair from a beautiful golden retreiver. It looks so much nicer on her than my quilt. Anyway, she is not my dog, but I love her, and I need to remove the hair from my quilt. The quilt is sashed in black kona cotton. I have put it in the dryer on fluff and it helped a little. I do have the sticky rollers if I have to resort to that and use bunches and bunches of sheets. Any other suggestions?
I started with the sticky rollers, then got tired of that mess, and looked around for something else that might work. I found the answer under the sink. You have all seen those little iron shaped scrub brushes they sell at most dollar stores? I use my new one to de-fur everything now. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, DH, and long hair. From desperation came the answer. Hope this helps. Brush in one direction.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

lint roller or the wide clear packaging tape you put around your hand.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Having two Saint Bernards , I am more than familiar with your problem. The best most complete is the sticky tape roller. I always just figure to have a full roll on hand to use at the end to de- fur the quilt.
In a pinch I have used a damp cloth, but it is not as complete as the sticky tape roller. I keep mine on the ironing board for fe-fuzzing as I go sometimes.
You could also start with the dogs. We recently got a Furminator on eBay, they run about $15 as opposed to $65 asked by some vets. They work great. We have a Lab & a Basset. It is amazing the amount of hair a few strokes pull out of them.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
I have a nice quilt that I just finished putting the binding on and it has lots of pet hair from a beautiful golden retreiver. It looks so much nicer on her than my quilt. Anyway, she is not my dog, but I love her, and I need to remove the hair from my quilt. The quilt is sashed in black kona cotton. I have put it in the dryer on fluff and it helped a little. I do have the sticky rollers if I have to resort to that and use bunches and bunches of sheets. Any other suggestions?
https://www.buymrsticky.com/?SRC=roller]https://www.buymrsticky.com/?SRC=roller[/url] - I bought one of these at an in-store promotion at Fred Meyer (Kroger) and so far it's amazing. I pick up snicks and threads (don't have a pet) and just rinse it off with water.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Power Poster

When I first read your title I was all excited because I have lots of pet hair I could send you. But, I see you already have enough. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Put a disposable latex glove on your hand and lightly wipe over the areas where there is hair. It will roll up in a ball very easily and just pick that off. Works great