Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with RED Fabric >

Help with RED Fabric

Help with RED Fabric

Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 AM

You don't have to go out and purchase special products to fix this, although you are certainly welcome to do so if you choose.

I have found the easiest way to handle bleeding fabric is to fill my bathtub with very hot water (140°), add a dab of laundry detergent, and let the fabric sit for 12 hours (usually overnight). I've never had a fabric bleed after treatment. It doesn't need multiple washings, it needs time.

Not sure how this would work if you already have white fabric sewn into the quilt, though. I usually test my fabric for bleeding before I use it in a quilt. To do this, take a piece of white scrap fabric, dampen it, and rub it gently on the questionable fabric. If any dye rubs onto the scrap, you have a bleeder.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
What about trying Retayne? I've haven't tried it yet, but I've seen it mentioned in quilting forums lots. http://www.joann.com/retayne-color-f...e/2181311.html
Retayne works great, but it SETS the color, so you would use it before you cut the fabric. If it's already pieced, you use Synthrapol, which keeps the dye in the water so it doesn't redeposit it on your quilt.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 AM

Thanks everyone. The quilt is already completely peiced unfortunately. I thought the finger prints on the wall were from before I washed it not after. I didn't realize it was still rubbing off until I knelt on it came away with a pink knee. I bought the fabric at fabric. com should I contact them, the manufactorer or both? This is such a bummer. I have a few left over red and whit peices. I guess I will wash those, see what happens and go from there. Thanks again
Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM

http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_...read-this.html

i just came across this blog the other day. Have a read, it may help you and others.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:44 PM

try soaking in white vinegar in cold water for chemical dye. salt with vegetable dye. both as strong as you can afford. try on leftover scraps if you have any. a weaver told this in a blog i read. i don't remember which one but she dyes her own cotton and wool to weave into her fabric on the loom. hopr something works for you!