Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with sashing please! >

Help with sashing please!

Help with sashing please!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:31 AM

Default Help with sashing please!

Hello Quilting Board Members,
My name is Kim and I am a new board member. I am currently making my 3rd quilt, but the first one with sashing and borders. I do not have a pattern for the quilt I am making as I saw it on Pinterest and made up my own blocks composed of squares and rectangles with sashing between the pieces to compose the blocks. Then I sewed 7 across with sashing between them. I have made 8 rows of these block and sashing rows. Then I happened to read that sashing should be cut with the grain of the material instead of across the grain. My question is, since everything seems to be accurately sized, do I take out 96 seams or cut the horizontal sashing with the grain and hope for the best with the vertical sashing being across the grain and the horizontal sashing being with the grain? Next time, more research first before proceeding. I get it.
Thanks for your anticipated help!
Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

You do Not need to take apart your sashing strips! Many of us cut our fabrics lengthwise when the length is a better use of yardage and crosswise when that suits our needs. Bias edges are the only ones that need special care, since they are stretchy and easily distorted
Old 02-17-2015, 11:14 AM

Hi Kim,

You have a lot of replies to your earlier post of this same question here http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t261380.html
Are you having trouble finding your old posts? Go to "Quick Links" -> "subscribed threads" in the bar near the top of this page, and you should be able to quickly find your old posts there.

Short answer - you are FINE! Not everyone cuts sashing with the lengthwise grain. Cross grain sashing will be fine and your quilt will look great.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Kim, there were lots of answers to your first post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post7093534
was there a specific question that you still have?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies and help. Yes, I was not able to locate my first post and thought it didn't go through. Thank you for being so sharing and so informative and kind. I really appreciate the support I received with my first post. It feels great to know all of you are "there".
Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kim B View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies and help. Yes, I was not able to locate my first post and thought it didn't go through. Thank you for being so sharing and so informative and kind. I really appreciate the support I received with my first post. It feels great to know all of you are "there".
Kim
If you click on your name in any post, it will take you to your Profile Page. You can click on "Find Latest Posts" or "Find Latest Started threads" to find your posts, HOWEVER, the indexing sometimes is a couple hours behind, so things don't always show up immediately when you click on these links. The post is out in the forum, but might be way way down on the list.
Another way to locate recent stuff is click on the "Archive" link at the very bottom of the page. This will take you to views that will list started posts in the reverse order that they were created, not by the time & date of the last post. I find it easier to use this option.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:48 PM

Thank you PaperPrincess for all your kindness and the tips on how to find things. Now, I just need to do them dozens of times to remember how, lol. So far, so good. I've sewn the first strip of sashing onto the first row of blocks and marked all the seams so I can match the next row to it. Then I need to take a break. It isn't a quick process, making a quilt; but nothing gives me more satisfaction! I love creating something and I revel in the visual of it. So far, I've only worked in bright, bold batiks, but my next quilt; for my sister-in-law will be more of a traditional quilter's cotton quilt. I'm not the quickest sewer/quilter, but I try to do my very best possible work each time. Thanks again for all the help. Joining the quilt board has been an awesome experience!
Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Hi ckcowl,
Thank you for responding to my thread! I appreciate all the shared knowledge I can acquire. I have already found so many quilts that I would like to make and just like everyone else, with limited time; it sure does help to have all the knowledge to go ahead and quilt like the pros! It means so much to me to have such an overwhelming response. I was so touched and thankful! When I acquire enough knowledge, I'll pass along the tradition of assistance. Thank you again! Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 06:00 PM

Thank you Kristakz for coming to my rescue! I thought I'd have to wait days for a response, but everyone was "there" for me so quickly. I loved your short answer, to the point and so encouraging! Thanks again, Kim