Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help--Stash just grew LARGER----Longer >

Help--Stash just grew LARGER----Longer

Help--Stash just grew LARGER----Longer

Old 08-30-2022, 07:40 PM

Default Help--Stash just grew LARGER----Longer

The saying goes "Best laid plans of mice and men..." It should also say of STASH builders with a plan.

Much of my stash was going to be used for 1) Children's Clothing up to size 10-girls and size 3-boys NOT making flys. I have always hated making them. 2) 18-inch doll clothes. 3) quilts.

Yesterday I felt Great about calling to see how many (approx) dolly outfit packs I would need as last year my church gave away Christmas items to over 700 children. So I knew I would need a number for the amount of Christmas packs to make as every little girl needs beautiful clothes for their brand new dolly. bum-- they are only giving about 1/2 dozen dolls this year. So all those wonderful girls getting dollyand clothing for their new baby will be 12 at the most.

They will still be doing Christmas but not the same as last year. It will be an entirely different program this year. They are going to be putting together packages of an entire different theme. The Pastor said they have not received any requests this year for dolls and oddly enough none for tablets/cell phones or other electronic devices.

So all my Reduce the Stash Plans went bottoms down and out. Will be making the doll clothes for the Salvation Army and Something for Toys 4 Tots--My brother is a former Marine.

Anybody got any extra ideas? Will take All under consideration. Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by MaryKa; 08-30-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:08 AM

Yes bummer about the change in plans. Have you considered charity quilting/sewing? I sew for Project Linus. I sew. They distribute to sick hospitalized children. Pillow cases for same "community". Police and fire departments like to have small quilts when they need to remove young chilren. These charities are not seasonal. They would appreciate donations all year long.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:37 AM

I am a Project Linus quilter also. Look for the name of the local PL coordinator in your area. He or she can let you know what is needed in your area. In my area there are between 500 and 700 requests per month. The quilts go to foster care children, fire/police departments, homeless children, hospitals and other agencies that assist families. I remind myself often that not all children are babies. Therefore, most of my donation quilts are made for older children, adolescents. If you donate locally there is no cost except your materials and time. I ask for and receive a receipt of donation so I can deduct the material cost as a donation on Income Tax.

I like to try new patterns I stumble across and those become donation quilts. I also have three or four simple leader/ender or easy peasy patterns that I use. PL satisfies my need to create and helps keep someone warm and snuggled when they need a hug.......and it reduces my stash.

I am also part of a group that makes fabric items for one of our local hospitals: chemo bags, heart pillows for breast cancer after care, walker bags and fleece hats and mittens. Snoop around your area, MaryKa, I just bet there are organizations that would love your help and productivity.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:51 AM

One thing I would suggest, is to check with the organizations that want quilts and bags and such. When checking around, we have found that some places are saturated with donated quilts and don't have the place to store anymore for a while. You can always check back with them at a later date to see if more are needed. Another thing that is happening is folks are just randomly placing mittens, hats, small quilts in a public area with a note indicating the item is not lost but is yours if you need it! Gotta make sure it is OK with whoever is in charge of the property and also that you return to pick up unclaimed items although that so far has not been a real problem.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:58 AM

I've been making placemats for Meals on Wheels....hasn't made a huge dent in my stash but helps.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:55 AM

I didn't ask the question, but I sure enjoyed all the answers. So many good ideas to help others. Especially kids who don't have much of anything. I hear stories of kids being picked up and everything they have is in a Wal Mart bag. That's so sad. Another thread suggested making some type of tote bag with a small quilt or doll in it so that they have something to use to move around with. I know these aren't near as fun as doll clothes, but a soft doll that a child can hold onto can be such a comfort, when all else seems to be gone.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I just make quilts for foster kids in my county. I usually make 43 x 58". This year I am making smaller for the little kids. I use everything from my stash. I buy batting and backing fabrics.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:09 PM

Not certain were to post this so I'll put it here as it came from my quilt guild. Might be moved and that's fine.

OK folks this is a question about crocheting plastic bags into mats for the homeless. Have any of you multi-talented folks every done these and if so does it work for them? Just received the pattern today and it would put a lot of bags to good use if it works.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:59 PM

When I posted the above for some reason half the message was deleated.

I have place a call to our Community Police--those who have gone thru our Citizen's Police Academy, which I have in multiple states. If I had the ability to run I would be pinning the badge in a heartbeat. (side track)

I will be calling project Linus as I know I have plenty of fabric for quilts for little and medium sized kids. Our FD gives the job to the Police of placing the kids or the Red Cross if it involves a family such as a home burning to the ground.

I will also be contacting the foster kid division of our welfare agency.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be checking into all of the groups in my area.