Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!! >

HELP!!!!

HELP!!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sweets6181
I am not sure on that one Nursie76.....like I said almost brand new machine and have only used it to hem my daughter's jeans until i started researching quilting and got bit by the bug :) But he said be two or three days so hopefully I have it before Turkey Day!!
I used to have a Singer that absolutely hated jeans. It would sew other fabrics, no problems, even heavy ones, but every time I tried jeans it threw off the timing.

Then the next one I had didn't mind them a bit. I think they each have their own "personality" just like the rest of us.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 AM

I have a Janome 6600 which I now love. But the first six months of sewing with it made me crazy. The tension was terrible most of the time but sometimes okay. The store where I bought it couldn't figure out what was wrong. Every time they tried it out, it was fine.

I've been sewing for years without trouble on my inexpensive mchines and was broken hearted that I had paid so much for this machine & it didn't work. I tried everything ...different threads, pre-wound bobbins, etc.

As it turned out, the fix was embarassingly simple. I was not always putting the bobbin in correctly. It has to go in with the bobbin thread unwinding counter-clockwise - just like the drawing on the bobbin cover plate. Such a simple thing, but it corrected the problem.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by sweets6181
I stepped away and found my informational disc so I watched that and follwed it word for ford but for some reason the top thread will tangle to the right of the bobbin and cause a big mess. i have decided to take it to the dealer tomorrow and hope that he can tell me what happened...I was almost done :( that is what is so gut wrenching it is a fairly new machine and has not been used much at all. Again thank you all so much for your input. ;)
Sorry you are having so much trouble. I hate when that happens. They (whoever they is) always told me when the thread was messing up on top of what you were sewing it is an issue with the bobbin, when the thread is messing up on the bottom it is the upper thread. Hope that helps.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:19 AM

After you have read the manual, rethreaded the machine and replaced the bobbin, be sure the hook is in the up position before you sew. Hold the threads in your left hand, drop the foot and start sewing slowly. After a few stitches, release the threads. It is important to start any seam with the thread hook on top, where it is when you can easily pull the threads. That is the first thing I tell any new sewer. If you don't you will have a snarl of threads and a problem getting the needle up and a mess to clean up. This happens to the best of us.

Carol J.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I don't mess with tension until I check EVERYthing else out. I've NEVER, in 5 yrs, changed the tension on my bobbin thread. My guess -- did you put the bobbin thread in backwards???
Did you use the correct size bobbin? Sometimes we purchase bobbins at a big box store not realizng they don't exactly fit, and that will affect your stitch.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 AM

I think you are on the right track. Take it to the dealer, have them check it out and while they are doing that, maybe ask about the correct way to wind and seat the bobbin. Maybe they can order you a new manual too. don't get disheartened, ALL of us have problems now and then..Good Luck!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 AM

I have janome machines and I was told by dealer that these machines are touchy about the bobbins. You have to buy janome bobbins only.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 AM

I have a Janome 9700--LOVE IT... I take it to the hospital (repair shop) annually--costs about $100.00 but she gets a good cleaning and I have never had any problem with the machine, except for the ones I cause.
I buy prewound bobbins, but rewind them onto Janome bobbins. Again, no problems.
Also, I have never tried to change the tension on the bobbin housing and keep the top tension on AUTO.
Good luck,
Barbara
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I'm sorry for the machine frustrations. Tell yourself it is a learning experience AFTER you take it to the dealer. You will feel a lot better when everything is checked over. They will also be able to give you one-on-one information. It is so much harder to troubleshoot a new machine when you are new to sewing as well.

Just so you know, my first machine was a Singer Touch and Sew. We've decided it should have been renamed a Touch and Throw. My Mother-in-Law informed my husband it was enough to make a person lose their religion and to get me one that worked right. :lol: I spent years thinking it was ME when I actually had a machine that would not be timed correctly no matter who did the repair.
What a great MIL!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:31 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by alica1367
I have janome machines and I was told by dealer that these machines are touchy about the bobbins. You have to buy janome bobbins only.
Wow...I have a MC4900QC and have never had any trouble with just buying a box of regular bobbins.