Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!! >

HELP!!!!

HELP!!!!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM

When I was just starting, I had a real problem getting the whole working. So I took it back to the store, and they told me I had the neddle in backwards. How embarrassing!
Hope you figure it out soon.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM

How do you know which threads are put on the spool the horizontal way?

I have a Janome 3160, which has the spool spindle laying sideways. I've always used Gutermann thread, but after reading your post, I'm wondering which brands are appropriate.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM

I have had an Elna for 10 years and before that had a Necchi for 45 years. The Elna is horizontal and the Necchi was vertical. Have never had a problem with thread on either one. Used the thread I still had from the Necchi on the Elna. When I got the Elna from a sewing machine store, they had to show me some pointers about the machine and nothing was told to me about the type of thread to buy. Have been sewing for many years and never heard of this thread theary before.
Rita
Old 11-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
How do you know which threads are put on the spool the horizontal way?

I have a Janome 3160, which has the spool spindle laying sideways. I've always used Gutermann thread, but after reading your post, I'm wondering which brands are appropriate.
I am a Gutermann thread user too--mainly for piecing. But I imagine any Brand is okay for the horizontal position as long as that particular spool is wound zigzag (See my post just above). Perhaps watching the video link below could help you define the way threads are wound.

http://video.about.com/quilting/Quilting-Thread-101.htm

Gutermanns have threads wound both ways depending upon which spool you purchase. Sometime ago I wrote the Gutermann factory wanting to clarify where their threads are made. They wrote back with the following information

Polyester Germany
Bulky Nylon Italy
Cotton Greece
Toldi-Lock Thailand
Upholstery Mexico

The country of origin for each type of thread is listed upon the ends of their spools. Gutermanns were speedy and kind in answering all my questions and, in my opinion, they are a good medium priced thread for piecing. Presently, I am using American-Efird poly wrap for machine quilting a quilt and am having no difficulty with it.

Again, I point out I use one kind for piecing and another kind for machine quilting. Hope this info is helpful.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM

It is helpful. I use the Gutermann for piecing only. I had been told it was the best thread for piecing.

I don't do machine quilting. Not quite there yet. I've only been quilting for 18 months since I retired from teaching. It's a huge learning curve with so much to learn!! However, I've joined the local guild, been going to workshops and learning like crazy!

Still want to learn how to hand quilt. Have the oval frame, understand the concepts, have the needles and thread, now I just need to practice.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:08 PM

The thread tutorial is excellent! I had no idea...so glad you wrote and shared this.

I love www.about.com Janet (the editor of the quilting part) has become an online friend. She's very helpful!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Make sure you have your bobbin threaded the correct way . Does your manual tell you to insert the bobbin clock wise or counterclockwise. It can act up if it is in there wrong.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
This is why my new Brother machine stays under the counter and my vintage Singers and Morse machine get used ALL the time. They are simple, they sew a beautiful seam, and I can open them up anytime I want and see what's going on inside. Good luck, and hang in there. Sewing is a wonderful skill to have.
Ditto! :)
Old 11-27-2010, 01:55 PM

I had this problem with a Singer machine Then discovered using my Janome that they use different types of bobbins I had no clue there were different styles. Really messed up my sewing. I thought something was wrong with my machine. Check that first!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

Check to make sure the bobbin thread was in the correct direction on the bobbin holder and that it was snapped in all the way.