Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns... >

HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns...

HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns...

Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 AM

IMHO repair the quilt this time and if it happens again repair them again if you want too. It shouldn't matter if it is holes from smoking or stains or anything else as to whether you repair them. Just do it because you Love her if you have the time. Not every one can sew or knows where to get stuff repaired. Try to use fabric that matches and patch the front bad back. Apparently these are quilts that are used a lot not just to look at.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM

If it was me and it's a special aunt, repair the holes, beg her to smoke outside or to at least stand up when she smokes. And buy her a smoke detector.

Smoking is an addiction just like alcohol and overeating. Until they are ready to change they won't and you will just get frustrated.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

It's true - the original question is/was - "how to fix the holes"?

(I dislike doing repairs - especially for things that I think could/should have been avoided - so that bias does show in my answers)

But then, most accidents could have/should have been avoided.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 AM

I've been where you are...because I quilt others think I have nothing more to do than help them 'repair' a quilt. Sigh. What I would do in your place, is refill that hole with pieces of batting that can take the heat (what pot holders are filled with), then I'd use small scraps of material and hand patch the holes to as close to the original fabric as I can get. Remember, those places where the burn marks are, will burn again eventually in the same spot due to her falling asleep.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM

All I can say is wow, at the comments. And yes, the question was "how" to repair. I was very interested in the answers as I have some older quilts that are in need of repairs. The extra commentary about the Aunt did not seem necessary.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
I would applique a "No Smoking " symbol over the holes.

Haha...this has got to be my fave!!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Just have to put my three cents in here. How come everyone can assassinate a smoker but no one says anything to someone who drinks too much or eats way too much and is fat? That can kill you, too. I always wondered why everyone picks on smokers only. I can't stand drunks and very obese people. Does that mean that I can make fun of them? Kind of like you all are making fun of this woman and her addiction? What about the drug addicts? Can I make fun of them? Laugh at them?
Thank you for this.
I posted this thread while exhausted & didn't realize until today that I put the part about smoking in bed...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
I stopped smoking in bed years ago. Never fell asleep with one but did have some 'pops'. When we moved to our house now we both decided not to smoke in the house. I have yet to do so.Sometimes it gets Very cold and I REALLY think if I want one. Cuts down on it LOL You are very nice to do this for her. I wouldn't ask my daughter to do this even if she was a quilter.I would do it myself. BTW if she can smoke she can put applique patches on. Why not prepare some and show her how to do it and let her do it herself? I am assuming she isn't blind when I suggest that.

She really is NOT a seamstress or quilter. She patched some of the holes with Patch Attach...made them into HARD squares over the holes, and they started coming off...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I don't think that is an accurate statement -

Jay Leno has been making fun of overweight/fat people (or the habits that contribute to overweight) for a long time now.
There have been many 'jokes' about drunk people over the years.
I don't recall hearing any 'jokes' about drug addicts or smokers.

The over-all impression I had gotten from the posts was of concern that she was falling asleep in bed with a cigarette in her hand.

Bearisgray, she posted that because one woman had "jokingly" said to "Shoot the smoker."
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM

According to my grandma, these are all her quilts and my aunt has burned so many she has lost count...