Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns... >

HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns...

HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Okay, I am going to be the dissenter. I wouldn't touch them unless she has quit smoking. Then I agree with MattiMae, just put a patch on the back, lay in batting and put a same size patch on the front.
I agree, Irishrose. Let's just hope she doesn't burn more than just a hole in the quilt.
QuilterMomof3, don't let your kids stay at her house without any other adult supervision. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 AM

So the question really is: do you want to repair these quilts? I have relatives who are smokers, and I still love them. If one of my smoking relatives were having this problem, I think what I'd do is make sure there was a smoke detector in the room for a real fire. And then I'd find some kind of material that doesn't burn through, and I'd make a blanket for her out of that material to put over her bedding, so the bedding doesn't catch on fire or make holes in the quilts. And then I'd patch the quilts as nicely as possible. And I'd do it because I loved her.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Has she not heard the horror stories of what can happen when you smoke in bed? I would tell her a few and offer to repair the quilts only if she stops smoking in bed. Maybe you could scatter a few yoyos around to cover the holes.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
I would applique a "No Smoking " symbol over the holes.
Great idea! My daughter was a heavy smoker, and her furniture and bedding were covered with cigarette burns. She is lucky she didn't burn the house down! By appliquéing a "no smoking" sy
mbol, not only have you repaired the quilts, but have let her know of your concern.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
I stopped smoking in bed years ago. Never fell asleep with one but did have some 'pops'. When we moved to our house now we both decided not to smoke in the house. I have yet to do so.Sometimes it gets Very cold and I REALLY think if I want one. Cuts down on it LOL You are very nice to do this for her. I wouldn't ask my daughter to do this even if she was a quilter.I would do it myself. BTW if she can smoke she can put applique patches on. Why not prepare some and show her how to do it and let her do it herself? I am assuming she isn't blind when I suggest that.
I would take the quilts back to her and show HER how to fix them (applique patches over the burned areas). If she wants them fixed, she will fix them. Then, when she burns the next one, she can fix it herself.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Dee

Appliques come to mind. Smoking in bed is a dangerous habit. I agree with purple passion.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 PM

I agree with adding batting to the areas and then appliquéing and doing some patchwork on the back. However, consider using fabric that doesn't readily blend or complement the existing fabric...may take a while, but eventually she might start to see the number of obvious patches and maybe realize that her habits need to change.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomOf3 View Post
She really is NOT a seamstress or quilter. She patched some of the holes with Patch Attach...made them into HARD squares over the holes, and they started coming off...
I understand she's not a seamstress or quilter. That's why I said show her how to do it. Then who knows,you might start something Sometimes all it takes is someone showing them something and helping them to get them started on the quilting road.PLUS if she KNOWS what it takes to repair it then perhaps she will understand the time involved. If you are willing and have the time you could make this a 'together thing' if she isn't to far away.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM

This may be the "line in the sand" to make her realize that what she is doing is dangerous to her, in many ways.
Those quilts are going to reek of old stale smoke. I would tell her that I don't want to have them in my house, it is all but
impossible to get rid of the smell. Sorry I can't be more sympathetic to you and to her.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 AM

I love the idea of yo-yos. It would cover the hole and wouldn't even have to match the surrounding fabric while at the same time adding a design element. One on each side would probably be enough padding that no additional batting would be needed. And if you wanted to add more yo-yos randomly placed over the top you probably couldn't tell it was covering a hole.