Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns... >

HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns...

HELP trying to repair quilts with large cigarette burns...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Just have to put my three cents in here. How come everyone can assassinate a smoker but no one says anything to someone who drinks too much or eats way too much and is fat? That can kill you, too. I always wondered why everyone picks on smokers only. I can't stand drunks and very obese people. Does that mean that I can make fun of them? Kind of like you all are making fun of this woman and her addiction? What about the drug addicts? Can I make fun of them? Laugh at them?
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
I agree, Irishrose. Let's just hope she doesn't burn more than just a hole in the quilt.
QuilterMomof3, don't let your kids stay at her house without any other adult supervision. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
My kids don't stay with anyone other then my mom & stepdad or mom-in-law if my husband or myself is also there...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by lap quilter View Post
I agree with adding batting to the areas and then appliquéing and doing some patchwork on the back. However, consider using fabric that doesn't readily blend or complement the existing fabric...may take a while, but eventually she might start to see the number of obvious patches and maybe realize that her habits need to change.
I really like that idea!! I forgot to mention that almost all the quilts are her living mother's...not her's.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I love the idea of yo-yos. It would cover the hole and wouldn't even have to match the surrounding fabric while at the same time adding a design element. One on each side would probably be enough padding that no additional batting would be needed. And if you wanted to add more yo-yos randomly placed over the top you probably couldn't tell it was covering a hole.
Sad part is, there'd be NO need to add extra yoyos...there are PLENTY of holes to cover...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
I understand she's not a seamstress or quilter. That's why I said show her how to do it. Then who knows,you might start something Sometimes all it takes is someone showing them something and helping them to get them started on the quilting road.PLUS if she KNOWS what it takes to repair it then perhaps she will understand the time involved. If you are willing and have the time you could make this a 'together thing' if she isn't to far away.
She's one of those people that means well, and "tries" to help or remember to show up, but is a real flake...

She lives 45 miles away, I have 3 small children, and am the sole driver in our home.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Just an update: The quilts belong to my Grandma, not the aunt who burnt them...

Also, someone asked for pics...I only have one quilt right now...And I used a quarter for hole-size comparison...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365986[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365988[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365990[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]365991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365992[/ATTACH]

Most of the quilt top...I had to drape it over an wardrobe, so you can't see all of it, but you can see most of it...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365993[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_3166.jpg   100_3167.jpg   100_3169.jpg   100_3170.jpg   100_3171.jpg  

100_3173.jpg   100_3174.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 03:49 AM

Another option might be to make a coverlet for the quilt. That could be done with sheets. I realize she wouldn't be able to see the pretty design in the quilt BUT, it might be easier/faster/simpler to do that. Just a thought.

At some point, it becomes fruitless to do repairs on some things. IMHO
Old 09-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures. How sad to see such a beautiful quilt so damaged. I'm trying to repair an antique applique quilt that is getting holes, just from wearing out. The quilt label is off. The binding is worn through. I think someone washed it carelessly. I inherited it, and don't know it's history. I'm not having good luck with appliqueing patches or using a fusible. The fusible makes the patch so thick, stiff, and noticable. The applique is pulling already thin threads. Maybe I need an even thinner needle and thread.

Anymore suggestions for repairing quilts? Let's get off the smoking rant. (Don't smoke, never smoked, but would really like to repair this quilt as well as possible.)
[HR][/HR]Brenda
Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=brendapm;5546911]Thanks for posting the pictures. How sad to see such a beautiful quilt so damaged. I'm trying to repair an antique applique quilt that is getting holes, just from wearing out. The quilt label is off. The binding is worn through. I think someone washed it carelessly. I inherited it, and don't know it's history. I'm not having good luck with appliqueing patches or using a fusible. The fusible makes the patch so thick, stiff, and noticable. The applique is pulling already thin threads. Maybe I need an even thinner needle and thread.

Anymore suggestions for repairing quilts? Let's get off the smoking rant. (Don't smoke, never smoked, but would really like to repair this quilt as well as possible.)

I should have added that someone else tried to repair this quilt before. There are several appliqued patches on the back (muslin) that have a stiff dark tan line down the middle (I'm assuming some kind of fray stopper) there are now holes beyond/outside the applique stitching of these patches. I'm thinking of finding fabric (all the appliques are solid) and tracing patterns from the quilt top to add to the backing and the quilt top where the muslin is torn. There are 2 leaves fraying off the front. If I can find suitable fabric I may replace the whole leaf.

Mother of 3 and I would appreciate any more ideas for repairing there quilts.

[HR][/HR]Brenda[When all else fails, go to pieces.]
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 PM

Brenda, are you repairing it by hand? When I was repairing bridal gowns and prom dresses - it's amazing what heels can do a dress - I put tulle behind to stabilize it and used a small zigzag stitch on the machine. A ZZ stitch distributes the tension on the fabric more than a straight stitch. It sounds like you have your hands full.

Mom, my post from last night isn't here. I'll repeat - that is a lovely Dahlia quilt. You, too, will have your hands full if you decide to repair it.