Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help - wet and moldy.

The pieces with visible mildew, I would chunk, the rest I would try washing with one or more of the products the other posters are suggesting.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Personally, I'd throw it ALL away, along with the bin. Here's why.

Mold spores cannot all be seen so you really can't judge what LOOKS mold free to actually BE mold free.
    There is no way to know how long it's been sitting in that condition or whether the bagged fabrics were bagged up only for the yard sale because they looked cleaner than the others.
    It clearly came from a source that had very low standards of care.
    There is a risk of spreading spores to other areas of your stash, house, etc.
    Someone who is extremely mold sensitive may wind up with a quilt made from these fabrics.

The risk, work, and worry are not worth it to me. I'm just not that desperate for fabric.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I would serger all the end and then wash it all (FQ and all) but that's me.
    From the heart
    Nancy

Thank you all for your input. I decided that I would not take any chances with the fabric and I threw everything, including the plastic tote, in the trash.

I hated to see so much fabric thrown away, but I would always wonder if there was mold in the fabric.

Thank you all.

A very wise decision. I'm sure you won't regret it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Here is a website that may help youhttp://blacktoxicmolds.com/borax-kill-mold.php

Good luck Caroline

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    My DD is an avid fan of Lysol and that Oxiclean .. maybe try that wash it twice (once in Lysol and the 2nd time in Oxiclean). That is what she uses to clean almost everything in the wash and around her house (besides vinegar in the kitchen and bathrooms-x 4 bathrooms-they have a big house !LOL).
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I would definitely be careful breathing around the fabric and handling it if it is moldy. A surgical mask and gloves might be beneficial to you. That being said, I would try to salvage what I could. Oxi-clean is a great remover of odors and discoloration. I would give it a try with detergent in very hot water and dry the fabrics in the sun, if possible. Also, the use of color catchers in the washer might be helpful in case some of the fabrics' colors run. Good luck, whatever you deccide to do.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I would also try washing everything first - in hot water - LIKE COLORS TOGETHER - so if in case you had a bleeder, it wouldn't do much noticeable damage.

(Depending on how moldy things were - if it was just 'a touch' - I would give it a try - if the fabrics are the color of charcoal - I would also toss them)

I think I would consider wearing rubber gloves while handling the fabrics, though.

This is another 'it depends' situation -
    If there's quite a bit of mildew, I'd also seriously consider wearing a mask before you start unfolding the fabrics. Mildew is a pernicious thing - the little spores go everywhere, and they absolutely LOVE the inside of your lungs. I'm pretty frugal myself, but I won't deal with mildewed stuff for any reason. Some things just aren't worth the risk! But if you are determined to salvage them, Neesie's advice is sound... a separate container OUTSIDE. Remember, your a/c picks up those spores and spreads them around your house. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. This is a good example of being penny-wise and pound foolish.

One last thought... if you do try to save them, dry them flat on the grass in the morning, when the nascent chlorine from the dew being evaporated by the sunlight will help kill any remaining spores (which you can count on being there... mildew doesn't go away easily).
    Last edited by Alondra; 07-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol W View Post
    Thank you all for your input. I decided that I would not take any chances with the fabric and I threw everything, including the plastic tote, in the trash.

I hated to see so much fabric thrown away, but I would always wonder if there was mold in the fabric.

Thank you all.
    Whew! Good choice... wise lady. I don't care what wonderful fabrics you may have tossed... the danger from the mold was far more than it was worth, in terms of your health and that of your family. Excellent choice!

I agree with your decision to throw it away, also. No way would I want to handle it enough to even try to save, just not worth it!

I think you made a wise, though sad, decision. You certainly don't want mold spores flying all around! They're there, whether you can see them or not.

I understand your reasons for tossing it all, but I'm a rescuer at heart and would not be able to do so...just saying...I'd only toss what still had stains after washing in oxyclean.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I have no advice, but thanks to everyone for the tips...you learn everything on this board!

If you are able to reclaim some of this fabric, I would not use it for quilts etc that will be used by babies or children.
    Mold spores are tough to get rid of and some people (like my daughter) are very allergic to mold. Good Luck
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Transplanted from West Branch Iowa; now Wichita Kansas
    soak in vinegar water overnight in washer then wash as usual and if still smewlls repeat
    Rose Mary Phelps

I am with BeeBee on this Carol....too much trouble to deal with

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Beebee View Post
    Hi Carol...I would pitch it all. We spend too much of our time and effort in putting together a nice gift for someone or for ourselves and we want it to last. You cannot be sure where this fabric even came from. It may not be quality fabric to begin with.

The only thing that will kill the mold spores for good is bleach - you will have to add some bleach - read the direction on how much to the laundry - and if you do't do that then you will need to run a load of water through your machine with bleach to get that out of your machine as well. Mold is not something to play around with, as some molds are toxic. I would toss the entire mess in the garbage and forget about it. Not worth the potential harm. I work in a library and we have to know our mold. Bbrrr.....

I, personally, would never throw any fabric away unless it was black mold. I would wash everything in hot water in the washing machine. The sun also is a great way to dry it and give it a good odor.

with mold and mildew, they stain really really really bad. I have washcloths that ended up hidden under my washer hamper and I have washed them with whites in bleach and they still have the stains on them. and i have washed them a few times this way. ended up throwing them out.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    What a shame when your sister thought she was doing something nice for you. I'm one of those who couldn't just throw it away .
    There was a quilt shop just north of Brisbane that went under in the floods. They asked their regular customers to take a bolt home and wash it. It was then sold at a reduced price. Flood waters can have all manner of things.
    If you should decide to try a rescue bid, add some Oil of Cloves to the water or better still spray the fabric before you wash it. In a spray bottle you only need 3 drops and it will kill all mold. This has been tried and tested (not by me) and proved that it works.
    If you still didn't want to use it perhaps you could donate it to a charity but let them know what has happened.

Banned
    I agree with Nessie - vinegar and hot water will kill the mold. Vinegar is as good as bleach at killing mold. The vinegar will also neutralize any odor.

You have to be very careful washing any kind of mold in your washer and the reason is that some of the water with the mold spores in it may be left sitting in the pump in your washer and cause a major unknown problem to you and your family. I personally would not take a chance with molded fabrics as you have no idea how long they have been that way or what type of mold you're exposing yourself and others too. jmho

Throw out possibly usable fabric, never. Several possible solutions have been given Try them all until you find one that works. As a last resort, there is bleach.
    Happy quilting Grandma

I had a leaking water heater yrs ago & had a problem with my fabric. I found a university website that gave me excellent advice. I mean it really worked. Used borax & vinegar in the washer with hot water. Then you don't put it in the dryer you hang it on the clothesline in the sun. Both the borax & the sun will kill it dead. I still have a few of those pcs of fabric left & they are still in good condition. I can laugh about it now, picturing me & my sister laying YARDS of fabric on my lawn & on my clothesline.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast