Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - wet and moldy. >

Help - wet and moldy.

Help - wet and moldy.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 AM

Here is a website that may help youhttp://blacktoxicmolds.com/borax-kill-mold.php

Good luck Caroline
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

My DD is an avid fan of Lysol and that Oxiclean .. maybe try that wash it twice (once in Lysol and the 2nd time in Oxiclean). That is what she uses to clean almost everything in the wash and around her house (besides vinegar in the kitchen and bathrooms-x 4 bathrooms-they have a big house !LOL).
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 AM

I would definitely be careful breathing around the fabric and handling it if it is moldy. A surgical mask and gloves might be beneficial to you. That being said, I would try to salvage what I could. Oxi-clean is a great remover of odors and discoloration. I would give it a try with detergent in very hot water and dry the fabrics in the sun, if possible. Also, the use of color catchers in the washer might be helpful in case some of the fabrics' colors run. Good luck, whatever you deccide to do.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would also try washing everything first - in hot water - LIKE COLORS TOGETHER - so if in case you had a bleeder, it wouldn't do much noticeable damage.

(Depending on how moldy things were - if it was just 'a touch' - I would give it a try - if the fabrics are the color of charcoal - I would also toss them)

I think I would consider wearing rubber gloves while handling the fabrics, though.

This is another 'it depends' situation -
If there's quite a bit of mildew, I'd also seriously consider wearing a mask before you start unfolding the fabrics. Mildew is a pernicious thing - the little spores go everywhere, and they absolutely LOVE the inside of your lungs. I'm pretty frugal myself, but I won't deal with mildewed stuff for any reason. Some things just aren't worth the risk! But if you are determined to salvage them, Neesie's advice is sound... a separate container OUTSIDE. Remember, your a/c picks up those spores and spreads them around your house. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. This is a good example of being penny-wise and pound foolish.

One last thought... if you do try to save them, dry them flat on the grass in the morning, when the nascent chlorine from the dew being evaporated by the sunlight will help kill any remaining spores (which you can count on being there... mildew doesn't go away easily).

Last edited by Alondra; 07-03-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Carol W View Post
Thank you all for your input. I decided that I would not take any chances with the fabric and I threw everything, including the plastic tote, in the trash.

I hated to see so much fabric thrown away, but I would always wonder if there was mold in the fabric.

Thank you all.
Whew! Good choice... wise lady. I don't care what wonderful fabrics you may have tossed... the danger from the mold was far more than it was worth, in terms of your health and that of your family. Excellent choice!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM

I agree with your decision to throw it away, also. No way would I want to handle it enough to even try to save, just not worth it!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM

I think you made a wise, though sad, decision. You certainly don't want mold spores flying all around! They're there, whether you can see them or not.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM

I understand your reasons for tossing it all, but I'm a rescuer at heart and would not be able to do so...just saying...I'd only toss what still had stains after washing in oxyclean.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:19 PM

I have no advice, but thanks to everyone for the tips...you learn everything on this board!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM

If you are able to reclaim some of this fabric, I would not use it for quilts etc that will be used by babies or children.
Mold spores are tough to get rid of and some people (like my daughter) are very allergic to mold. Good Luck