Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Helping a Quilting Wife >

Helping a Quilting Wife

Helping a Quilting Wife

Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm sure technologically they're outdated, so substitue with something more modern, but I have a CD player and some CD's in my sewing room. I love haing it there
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Take her out for a really nice lunch, while there present her with a single flower and a sizeable gift certificate to a local fabric store. AFter lunch take her to said fabric store and let her do her thing. You can sit at the pattern table (where they have chairs) and hold her purse while she does her thing. Take a book to read, this could take some time. Play your cards right, hubby dearest, and you might "get lucky" when you get home.
There should be more like you.
Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 AM

My hubby (who also backs me in any form of quilting) made me a thread cabinet....I had thread all over the place and now it is all contained in one wall cabinet......I love it.....and I can always
find any color or type of thread at a moment's notice.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Storage space for fabric, a rectangular ironing board, a pegboard for hoops and tools, a flannel design board, paint the room, lighting, TV in the corner, or just listen when she says "i wish I had..."
Of course there is the sewing machine that makes quilt labels and fancy stitches that I have my eye on...:)
My wonderful husband took me a quilt auction at the county fairgrounds. We didn't buy, but it was a terrific day.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Hop in your vehicle and take a road trip down to Marietta, Ga. There are 3 quilt shops there , Little Quilts, Red Hen Fabrics, and Tiny stitches. If she hasn't dropped after that and loves brights come on in to Decatur and take her to Intown Quilters. If you need more info PM me. Bring her down to our Ga get together 5/29
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-121247-1.htm
If you do this, just please let me know to expect you!

Needless to say providing some money for the trip would be nice.
You are so sweet to think this way and I hope we've given you a ton of new ideas. Please let us know what you decide to do even if after.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 AM

A gift certificate to go on a weekend quilting retreat would be wonderful! As well as some cash for the purchase of some of the great deals that are often available for participators!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM

How about a gift certificate to buy more fabric, presented over a dinner you fix, on a day you know she will be busy with lots of things? That would be my idea of the perfect gift.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Somewhere on the board, there's a suggestion for a design wall made out of lightweight insulation foam board covered with flannel and hinged with duct tape. That could be a real treat. You, by the way, are a sweetheart to be looking for a way to surprise her. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM

She is a quilter. She may go after what she needs for quilting. If you have done all this for her, you will not step in her way when she needs/wants something pertaining to her passion.
So, the gift could be something that has nothing to do with sewing (except the gift card to her favorite LQS-we would all love that!). Dinner, picnic, etc. are all excellent ideas.
My suggestion is (if she doesn't already have one) a 3-stone diamond ring. For your past, for your present, and for your future. Hopefully size won't matter to her. (More money for fabric...) With us, it is the meaning of the gift.
And always surprise her with your support in her quilting.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM

I love the idea of a TV tray pressing table....I can't wait to get mine assembled. If she enjoys shopping at Good Will stores or garage sales, you can find one cheap. To view what I'm referring to, go to the same newsletter (May 17th ) that you posted here, and scroll down to Links and click on Video Small pressing ironing table. How much handier can one get, then to have a table next to your sewing machine. Another nice idea is a gift certificate, to buy your own thing for the sewing room.