Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hit the jackpot! But have an issue Hope you Help? >

Hit the jackpot! But have an issue Hope you Help?

Hit the jackpot! But have an issue Hope you Help?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 AM

I always felt that wherever there was cigarette/any kind of smoke smell, there is residue. Do I want to work with fabric with residue on it? I know, some of us don't wash new fabric and there is the sizing, etc but knowing there is smoke residue....I would rather not, but that is just my personal preference.

Last edited by Jean45; 06-09-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 AM

I always use plain old charcoal, the kind for a BBQ. I had a basement flood once and everything smelled terrible afterward. We used about 3 big bags of charcoal sealed in the room for about 1 week and the odor came right out of the wood furniture. Put the fabric laying around the room and put the charcoal in there and seal up the room for a week or so, the odors should be gone.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM

If you put it in bags, be sure to unfold everything and lay it in loosely. Otherwise you may not reach the center of the pieces. Try one of those new stick on Fabreeze pods stuck to the plastic bag. And good luck to you with it
Old 06-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Washing in hot soapy water will be only fast solution. One the tar settles on the fabric it is the only way to get it out, the smell will linger for months. Any scent you use to mask it will go away and leave the smoke scent. My guild will not take donated fabric from a smoker's home. We learned our lesson about that.
Totally with BellaBoo here... The tar has permeated the fibers and the only way to truly rid it of the smoke is washing. Unfortunately you've purchased in essence dirty fabric and it may take more than one wash to get the fabric cleaned, vinegar, oxy clean are going to be your best friends in your quest to get the fabric clean.

I still think you probably have gotten a GREAT deal but it's going to take effort on your part before you want to put it with your stash.

Our guild stopped accepting donations from smokers too.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM

A friend of mine opens the fabric and hangs in a closet with open containers of vodka. She says it works great.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Some wonderful advice already given you.

Hanging washed fabrics (or even perhaps unwashed?) on a clothes in the sunshine would help too. I am a believer in fresh air and sunshine.

Let us know how you fare with this challenge.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:35 PM

Johnny Cat litter is supposed to work if you can store the fabric in a sealed box with it. Deactivated charcoal, baking soda, newspaper, etc. They are all supposed to work, but I've bought fabric at an estate sale that I regretted because it just would not get the odor out. The same with a whole box of crochet cotton I bought. Now, I'm going to sell it at my own yard sale!

I soak cloth in vinegar and baking soda mix with a drop of dish soap, then rinse and air dry.

I used my new washer to soak new charm packs and a layer cake, vinegar in the soak, then seperated each piece before I put it in the dryer. Hours of work, and ended up having to press 165 pieces of fabric. I will not buy charm packs again.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM

I have read that you can spritz the fabric with Vodka too.

Originally Posted by bhanes View Post
A friend of mine opens the fabric and hangs in a closet with open containers of vodka. She says it works great.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 PM

Default wash with vinegar

I have a friend that said she washes away odors with vinegar.

Originally Posted by Candlenana View Post
I was fortunate to buy a quilter's stash. Completewith tools, books, patterns, fabric and more! All for $500. There was over 1400 fat quarters and lots of yardage. Small containers with blocks cut and some put together. Quilt tops and some to bind also.
The problem is all this came from a smoker's house. How do I get the smoke smell out without washing???
I am laying it out now in single layers in the garage and airing out and spraying febreze. What can I do that might be faster??
Can I use bowls of vinegar setting around???

Thanks for all your help
Candlenana
Old 06-09-2013, 05:58 PM

I think washing it all is probably your best bet but it might never come out completely. I never ever buy anything unless it comes from a smoke-free home (that includes cars and furniture); I have a very sensitive nose and smell smoke residue even after it has been cleaned.