Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hobby Lobby >

Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby

Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Some good fabrics there and generally nice employees in THAT dept. Other depts, well, no so much.

Just be really careful on what you buy at HL. Their return policy is really strict.

I purchased over 20 skeins of yarn for an afghan. Took me about 3 weeks to complete the afghan and I had 2 left-over skeins. they refused to take them back for a refund because I was "past the limit" and pointed to the return policy sign. No way anyone could complete this project sooner. Joann's and Michael's never ever gave me a problem returning yarn.
So BEWARE!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 AM

You can use your 40% off coupons for fabric that is marked down. They just use the non-sale price and take 40% off. I ususally do that if I have a 40% coupon with me as it will come out cheaper that way.[/quote]

From personal experience not all Hobby Lobbys will do this.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by snicktrain
Originally Posted by amma
Lucky you!! I wish they would come to the west coast :D:D:D
I do too.
Amma and Snicktrain, there one in the Tri-Cities (Kennewick) and also one in Spokane Valley. :-D :-D
I am on the opposite side of the state - on the other side of the snow covered, icy cross hi ways. We are in the far north - like 50 miles so of Canada - west side. Where our only quilt shop just retired and no one took over. Maybe a summer rode trip. I love Hobby Lobby.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by kathome
Some good fabrics there and generally nice employees in THAT dept. Other depts, well, no so much.

Just be really careful on what you buy at HL. Their return policy is really strict.

I purchased over 20 skeins of yarn for an afghan. Took me about 3 weeks to complete the afghan and I had 2 left-over skeins. they refused to take them back for a refund because I was "past the limit" and pointed to the return policy sign. No way anyone could complete this project sooner. Joann's and Michael's never ever gave me a problem returning yarn.
So BEWARE!
Don't despair! If there is a retirement home (read assisted living) near you, they might have residents that crochet or knit and could use the yarn!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by nannyquilts
I am so excited that Hobby Lobby is coming to my town in florida. A new craft and fabric store. I don't know when it opens,I hope it's worth the wait.
IT IS MY FAVORITE STORE....you can 'window shop' forever. They have fabric and decor with Bible verses and inspirational things. look for the 40% off weekly coupons!!! :)
Old 01-28-2011, 04:38 PM

To add to my reply, I wonder if Wal Mart stores around Hobby Lobby are taking a second look at their decision to close down their fabric departments. It's also good competition for JoAnns who seem to have a monopoly in this area. Their pricing is competitive to say the least.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TX GMimi
Originally Posted by kathome

So BEWARE!
Don't despair! If there is a retirement home (read assisted living) near you, they might have residents that crochet or knit and could use the yarn!
I just added to my stash of yarn and eventually used it all up so it never went to waste.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 PM

I purchased over 20 skeins of yarn for an afghan. Took me about 3 weeks to complete the afghan and I had 2 left-over skeins. they refused to take them back for a refund because I was "past the limit" and pointed to the return policy sign. No way anyone could complete this project sooner

They will do a return with out a receipt but they will give you the lowest price the item has been in the last 3 mths. The way they cycle things on sale you can bet what ever you bought had been on sale during that time period. I can't remember if they make you get the refund on a gift card or not.
Robin in TX
Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 PM

Lucky you!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM

I had one open here last fall and I went. Picked up an item that should have been 50% off so when I went to the cashier, I asked her to scan it and tell me before I decided to purchase it. If not 50% off, I didn't want it.

Their cash registers don't use scanning technology. She couldn't tell me if there was a discount of any kind until she (manually) keyed the code into the register and then would have to do a return.

Because the store was new, it was crowded and she had to locate a store manager to go an check on the product. The line behind me continued to get longer and then the manager came back and said he wasn't sure so he would give it to me with the discount.

Just know that they aren't as technically advanced as other places. I haven't been back since they don't carry much fabric, as others have said. I remember at the time they had a great price on Kona cotton, but then so do others on occasion.