Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Home Quilting Frame and Machine advice

Hi all, I am just refreshing and updating my quilting skills and have decided to hunt around for a good home quilting frame setup. My budget is under $2500 or so.

I am strongly considering the HandiQuilter II plus a Juki TL98Q and a Quilter's Cruise Control.

I would appreciate advice and feedback from anyone with this setup or a similar one.

Thanks!
    Janet

About a month ago, we purchased a Juki 98qe and Little Gracie II frame with the Grace Sure Stitch (similar to the QCC), and I love it. I've quilted three quilts on it so far, and am constantly looking for excuses to use it. We paid $1700 including shipping, and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the market for one.
    I can't really help you with the HandiQuilter, as I have no experience with them.
    I have a friend who has the QCC and loves it.

I don't have a quilting frame, so can't help you there. Just wanted to tell you welcome from Southern California!!!

Thankyou both, for the welcome and advice!

Justquiltin', how do you like the Juki? Do you feel limited by the throat size?

Regards,
    Janet

Janet,
    I'd have to be a better quilter to feel limited by the throat size. Any limits currently are operator-based. :roll:

Good! I have another question....how is the comfort level of using your setup...is it hard to manipulate the machine? Do you sit or stand?

Regards,
    Janet

I stand. It is amazingly easy to manipulate.
    Edited to apologize for the brevity of the post. I started posting and realized what time it was! (Had to hurry to get supper on!)

I have a Hinterberg frame and a Viking Mega Quilter machine. I get along fine w/both but have never done a quilt larger than twin on it. I did quite a bit of research between it and the Gracie but since I have to take down the frame occasionally (when the DD's family comes - 4 boys) I like the Hinterberg for that reason. It is set up to be used sitting but I prefer to stand up - just feel I have more control and am more over the quilt that way. Of course I am also very height challenged compared to avg person!! I am able to quilt for quite a long time before taking a break so I would have to say it is comfortable for me to use.

Can't help you with your choice of quilting frames, I haven't learned to use mine yet lol, but welcome from the Texas Panhandle

Hi Janet, I just discovered your message on my blog. I love my HQ2 frame and my Juki. I do feel somewhat limited by the machine throat size. But it is so much nicer than trying to stuff and maneuver your quilt through a regular machine. I started out with the separately purchased Handi Handles on the back side of the machine, but recently bought a front mount conversion frame for them. You can see a photo on their website: http://www.handihandles.com/index.html

If you would like to, send me a pm and I'll give you my email address. Or we can continue to share here so everyone else can read about it too.

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    i have the janome 1600P and the GMQ quilting frame - it is currenlty being put together but I loved it when I demo'd it. The 1600P is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

there is another thread currently being discussed.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/l...44.page#213710

I purchased the GMQ Pro frame (by Grace) and a 13 inch Bailey quilting machine which will fit your budget. Why settle for a 9 inch when you can have a 13 inch? And for a little more, you can go with the 15 inch machine. The longer the machine, the more quilting space you will have.

Please research all these options that are being offered by members here.
    Don't be sorry later.

Thankyou June for that very helpful thread. I think it is quite clear that a conventional throat size is too limiting once the finished part of the quilt is taken up on the roller. I will switch my search to larger throat machines like the Bailey (I have never heard of those...how is their reputation?) and the Tin Lizzie or HQ16.

Let's hear it from those members who own these other machines.

My experience is limited to one year with the Bailey. I enjoy using it to finish my quilt.

June

A local fabric store I like has, like a few others, a Bernina dealership in it. I had a lesson yesterday in why I am not a big fan of the sewing machine industry's approach to marketing. I was chatting with another lady that I should join a quilting guild for a lot of reasons, but one of my aims was to get advice from experienced quilters on what dedicated frame and machine I should choose. The shop owner and dealership rep overheard and jumped in, loudly extolling the virtues of the Bernina 830, and exclaiming it would be PERFECT for me.

I patiently explained that the 830, while beautiful and a fine machine, was not an appropriate choice for the job...all I need is a great straight stitch and a generous throat. The 830, with its wonderful array of capabilities (and $12,000 price tag, which puts me into dedicated long arm territory) would be wasted on such a task.

They looked at me in shock, made some inane comments about not buying machines in WalMart, and how USA warranties are void in Canada, and the conversation halted. I don't know whether no one has ever passed up the idea of an 830 before, or whether I ticked them off in some way by having an informed opinion!

Anyway, rather than having anything substantive to offer to a regular fabric and notions customer, all I got was the "buy our shop TOL" cheerleading exhibition. Sigh.

I would call that Sales Pressure of the worst kind. The economy may be bad, but putting that kind of pressure on someone without really hearing what you were saying, is inexcusable! Shame on them!!!

You know exactly what you want and need, and how much you can afford. You do not need to spend that kind of money to make a few quilts! Or a lot of quilts and their comments about Wal-mart. Sour grapes! Not everyone can shop in their store and at least Wal-Mart offers something reasonable, if not great in quality. I know people who have bought their machines and they can put together a quilt with the best of the Bernina's and Vikings.

Keep your money and find what you need....elsewhere!