Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:07 AM

I have 3 DDs. One says that she wants nothing handmade, so I make things for her sons. They like them and the older one even sews with me. Another daughter says she likes what I make for her, but she lives far away so I really can't see if she uses what I make. Maybe she just loves the idea that I spend time making something for her. The youngest will take anything I make for her and display it proudly in her house. She and her fiance like "country" and they are in their 20s.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 AM

I don't sew and quilt to save money. I do these projects because it is my hobby and I love doing them. I for one would rather have HM gifts anytime regardless of what the cost is. Most of my family and friends like the thought that I made this gift because I love them and love doing it for them!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:18 AM

I wonder about the costs too, but store bought stuff always seems "cold" compared to what I make.

Also, many store bought stuff falls apart after a few washings.

I love my craft, so I will keep on making stuff with a glad heart and become frugal when it comes to buying fabric. Hey, I have a good sized stash and there are always sales! LOL
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Everyone else's hobby seems like an expensive waste of time. I quilt. It's expensive and time consuming, but I love it so I do it. I'd do it even if the quilts just sat in my closet.

A friend of mine travels all over creation collecting toy tractors. He has thousands of dollars in them. It sure looks like a waste of time and money (better spent on fabric) to me, but he loves it.

I've quit trying to justify it. I do it because I love it and I try not to comment on other hobbies that I don't understand.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 AM

I too wonder about this at times then I think of all the joy I see in the faces of my family when they open a present that I have HM. yes it can be more costly to hand make. I found a person that was giving up her stash for one dollar a yard!!! BOY did I go nuts!!! try going to yard sales/tag sales/ garage sales/ estate sales I have gotten many a yard of fabric from em. also sad to say if a store is closing I haunt em... buying as much as I can afford.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM

I make things (quilts) because I enjoy it. They are gifted to people who I either know would appreciate the effort or who have drooled over something I am working on. I know I am not saving money, but it is my hobby and a useful one at that.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Most people spend money on a hobby... mine is quilting. So even if a gift costs more than store bought, this is my thought. Cost of quilt/gift divided by hours of enjoyment making it and hours of enjoyment the recipient will have with it... priceless :D:D:D
Old 12-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I will admit sewing/quilting is getting to be expensive. I got to thinking instead of making it myself just buy it instead. But all of that thinking went out the window when I went to visit my nephew and his family.

I had made quilts for the two great nieces and one quilt for nephew and wife's bed.

As I was visiting some friends had come over. Yvonne, niece in law, was showing friends the house. "What a gorgeous bedspread!" My niece replied, "My Aunt Debbie made that for us. Come let me show you everything she has made for the family. My Aunt Debbie is so amazing!" I had tears in my eyes because of all the pride she had in her voice. I know it was genuine because she had no idea I was anywhere close enough to hear her.

Later, during the visit, we had all went to the dragstrip. My nephew and brother (his dad) built a racecar together. My brother is small in stature. Since he is the "pitboss" he has to carry several things with him. Once he gets everything together he suffers from "plumbers pants". I made a special vest for all his stuff. On the back of the vest I embroidered PIT BOSS and an outline of their car. At the strip, my brother put on his vest, got it all loaded up. During the races, I saw my brother talking to someone and showing them all the features of the vest. Then they came over to where I was setting. My brother put his arm around my shoulders and said, "This is my sister, the brains behind the vest." The man shook my hand and said, "I would love to have someone like you in my family." My brother said, "Nope, God only made one and I was the lucky one to get her!"

Needless to say, now I make everything I can, and try to figure out how to make the things I can't.
How nice to be loved and apreciated!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:00 PM

I prefer to make and receive homemade items. They mean more...it's not about the cost.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Most people spend money on a hobby... mine is quilting. So even if a gift costs more than store bought, this is my thought. Cost of quilt/gift divided by hours of enjoyment making it and hours of enjoyment the recipient will have with it... priceless :D:D:D
Amma, I ditto that!!!