Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores? >

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Homemade (handcrafted) vs department stores?

Old 12-07-2010, 03:34 AM

Homemade is soo different and part of your heart is in a HM gift!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 AM

this is a very expensive craft even with being a spend thrift quilts can cost 100 and up to make.

i only give my work to people who will appreciate the time, money, and effort.

you see posts here on a regular basis from people who are heart broken because the quilt they made wasn't/isn't being used in a way that makes them happy.

these are the kind of people it might be better to buy them a gift that they would want vs. giving them something that you made.

just because we enjoy sewing and making handcrafted gifts doesn't mean everyone wants to receive them as a gift - the gift should be what that person wants.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:46 AM

When my oldest child was a baby we received some bibs from a very high end department store. Had days of the week on them. They fell apart after a few washings. About the same time I bought some bibs from a store where handicapped people sold items they had made. They lived at the facility and this was how they made spending money. My son is 42 and my grandchildren are now using the bibs. I have 6 children and 7 grandchildren so you know they have gotten a lot of use.
Homemade is always better.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 AM

I, hardly, think that homemade items are better than department store items. For instance, I made my granddaughter five outfits for school. All were pant outfits. She has grown an inch and a half. The hem I put on those pants were three inches. So, I have bought rick rack to put on the now hems and have enough fabric to make them longer. Sure beats buying five new school outfits!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 AM

Nothing says I love you like something hand made! Keep on quillting!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 AM

I always put on the accompanying card. Every stitch is a little I LOVE YOU, When the stores will start writing that on their label, I'll stop making gifts
Old 12-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Debbie, that is such a nice story! I know store bought may be cheaper but it lacks what handmade has :)
Handmade is usually better quality and most of us have the fabric on hand. I love handmade gifts 'cause I know the giver was thinking of me while they were making it. That applies to many things in addition to sewing projects.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM

Most people know that when it comes to home made gifts, That person is thinking of them and doing it with love. So keep making the home made gifts. The cost is not what is important but the thought, time and care you put into each project. I am always excited about receiving a homemade gift no matter what it is.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 AM

The satisfaction of making something yourself and using your talents to help others is your reward. I figure my time is my own, either I use it or waste it and I would rather use it wisely and show my love for family and others by making them happy. In so doing, I am happy too.
When asked why are you doing that? I have often replied,
"I could spend my time watching soap operas and eating chocolates but what do I have to show for that time?"
Nothing.

Carol J.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 AM

Ever since I was a teenager, I have had boobies that went into a room before I did. I sewed to make my clothes fit. Then it became my favorite hobby and when I was raising my 4 kids and my DH's business was in a slowdown, I sewed to make money. Also, there's the glow you get when someone says, "Oh, you made that? You are so talented and you can't buy THAT in a store."