Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it.  Should I quit while I am ahead? >

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Don't quit!! Keep learning. It is an expensive hobby, but it sounds as if you are a smart shopper. I look for sales at fabric & quilt shops. I also look for fabrics & quilting tools at garage sales & thrift stores. I've gotten lucky & found some really good garage sales where quilters were getting rid of some of their stash. And with quilting if you don't feel like quilting on a certain day...you don't have to, it will be there waiting for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM

I sent you a PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM

Don't quit! Take another free BOM class from Craftsy. This year's 2013 BOM started. That will give you a boost to continue!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM

Don't give it up, you have the basics and that is all you really need. You can add things as you can afford them. Marshall Dry Goods have great fabrics from $3.99/yard and their service is great. Keep on going you won't regret it.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Okay ladies and gentlemen! Where are all the offers of free fabric for this gal? We all have big stashes and I know if we dig through them, we can come up with 3 or 4 pieces that we can part with. How about helping out a "newbie" in a big way. Make her day! Almost 3,000 people have read this thread and I saw 2 offers. We're better than that!!! What about an old line that you don't like anymore? Take a few pieces out and let's get her address and send it to her. Make her a big time quilter!!! I am doing my part!! I can help! So can you!!!!!
YOU KNOW, YOU'RE RIGHT. I HAVE 2 OR 3 PIECES. Get me your address.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM

I'm sending her some today, was glad she was willing to take it. Please don't assume others aren't either...I just emailed her and didn't post it here.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Sounds like you were "blessed to be a blessing." Thanks for the upbeat post. God bless you.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM

Quit Quilting???!!!!?? No Way! If this is something that a) you enjoy, and b) you are able to do with your disability, don't quit. You can use old clothes that are still in good shape for fabric, or get some good deals at goodwill/thrift shops. You can check out Freecycle. You can let other family members know to buy sewing items/fabric/gadgets for any gift giving occasions. The cost may seem expensive, but quilts provide joy to both the giver and receiver, and usually last for many years. For me, there is immense enjoyment in watching it all "come together", and the end product is always better than I imagined. It would be a shame to give up something you enjoy.
BTW, tell your nephew the 95% for him will be ideal when HE does all the work and pays for the material!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM

IMHO - don't quit. You sound as if you love what you're doing so keep on doing what you love! All the gadgets are neat and some are useful but I persoanlly don't own many (due to $$). I get a lot of my tools for birthdays and Christmas! When family ask what I want, it's almost always quilting goodies...and gift cards are never returned! LOL I have found that this board has many many generous people, almost all willing to contribute to the delinquency of a quilter in order to keep him/her quilting. I have more fabric than I'll probably ever use and keep buying more cause I just have to have____ and it's on sale!! Momma gives me a lot whenever she decides to clean out her stash and friends know I'll always give a good home to any fabric they care to share or get rid of. I keep my church well supplied with fabric for projects soooo....my long winded way of saying, if you need a certain color or print or something, give me a holler! I can't say I'll have it but I'll certainly look.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Oh please....do not quit. You have all the basic tools you need....really.....Garage sales, thrift stores etc are great places to find fabric. Also I found that when my friends found out I was into quilting, I often got fabric from them. One gave me a box of beautiful print sheets. I know sheeting is a bit harder toquilt, but I do tie a lot of mine too and folks love them just as much. Hundreds of free patterns on line too. All you could possibly need. Let family know that gift cards to fabric stores are great b'day and xmas presents. My boys have finallly figured that one out..smile. And please post pictures of your work.