Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it.  Should I quit while I am ahead? >

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Be Honest Please - Quilting: love it. Should I quit while I am ahead?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Okay ladies and gentlemen! Where are all the offers of free fabric for this gal? We all have big stashes and I know if we dig through them, we can come up with 3 or 4 pieces that we can part with. How about helping out a "newbie" in a big way. Make her day! Almost 3,000 people have read this thread and I saw 2 offers. We're better than that!!! What about an old line that you don't like anymore? Take a few pieces out and let's get her address and send it to her. Make her a big time quilter!!! I am doing my part!! I can help! So can you!!!!!
Probably because what's to stop 100 quilters to suddenly post that they are on disability and need fabric, etc. ? In fact, there are probably at least 10 other posters on this thread who could use fabric because they, too, are disabled, but have not put out a plea or request for help but of course, they could use it and would also love gifts of fabric.

I'd say if you want to to, go ahead, but most of us just learned to "make do" with what we could, when we could, at the beginning. Her real help is probably just in learning what is necessary and what is not--sort of like teaching someone how to handle their finances.

Last edited by justflyingin; 01-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM

Actually I got started thanks to a wonderful local lady who is also on the Board I believe. She put an ad on Freecycle that she had a trash bag full of scraps and I met her and she gave me two bags full actually. I started with that and sewed scrappy for awhile.
Try posting you needs to the Freecycle list in Boston and you may hit it lucky as well. You really don't need all the gadgets that we talk about on here. It sounds as if you're off to a good start.
BTW, I'm a Lynn native now living in Maine so we were almost neighbors at one time :-).
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 AM

A friend and I stopped in a local thrift store run by local school for mentally retarded and got fabrics, one plastic shopping bag we filled with fabric and each bag was a dollar, and I read all the time about people getting stuff cheap at yard sales, and try craigs list and free cycle for low cost fabrics. Lots of times people decide they don't like what they loved a few years ago, someone is moving to smaller living and have to thin out, or people pass away and watch for $1 days at thrift stores for used clothing, and look in larger sizes.. You can do it and don't need all the fancy gagets, remember out ansestors didn't have them and they made great quilts. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM

If you are as hooked as most of us. You will find a way. I have used old clothes and cut them up, jeans, whatever to get some scraps. Let all your friends know you are looking, and before you know it, you'll have plenty. It just happens.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Doing something that refreshes your soul and spirit is even more important for someone who is disabled. Don't rush through projects. Become a process quilter and enjoy the flow of the fabric through the machine. It's a zen thing for me. Enjoy the planning process and don't get hung up on how you will finish them. Start practicing fmq on scraps using suggestions listed here for supplies. Let your spirit soar even if your body can't.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM

Don't stop/give up I buy fabric at thrift stores and don't have alot of the expensive stuff. keep going
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM

I don't think you could quit if you tried!!! I know I couldn't...I've added items during sales etc, buy my fabric during sales, etc...when I was working I bought a lot of fabric so I do have a stash built up. Now that I'm retired my costs have to be kept down. I have located a longarmer that is very reasonable, try to do my baby quilts and table runners myself but the bed size quilts I can't. Arthritis in my hands and shoulder won't allow me to do the bigger quilts myself, I would ache for days and it's just not worth it. I don't use gloves, slider or bobbin washers (whatever those are) and I've been quilting for about 7 years now. Carry on and enjoy!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Dont' forget to check out thrift shops and estate/garage sales. Sometimes you can find a decent cotton quality fabric in curtains, bed skirts and pillow shams. It never hurts to ask for a discount, especially if you are buying a lot.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM

i am in the same boat,but i figure this is hours of entertainment for the fabric that i buy so i justify it that way. I would not be able to fmq without gloves, but i just use gardening gloves with rubber fingers/palms that i got on sale at winners. the machingers ones they sell look like they would be to big and moving around and these ones...well...they fit like a glove i actually feel UNCOMFORTABLE threading a needle without them. Good luck and have fun, improvise wear you need to. My first one i made with cardboard templates and an exacto knife!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Please don't stop quilting. Having too many tools can be a burden sometimes (ask how I know). Buy specialty rulers only if you intend to make more than 1 quilt using them. There is always a way to make a quilt without using additional tools. I hate using templates so I have lots of specialty rulers. I've been quilting about 2 years and have only used a fraction of them. I'm considering selling some of them, just need which ones can do double duty.