Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
in the hoop quilts >

in the hoop quilts

in the hoop quilts

Old 10-05-2014, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

I have a good embroidery machine but perhaps I am not using it to it's fullest potential.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 AM

ck hoopsisters.com or smithstreetdesigns, have done both. Emb library has great designs for quilting including Japenese ones
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 AM

These quilt books come with a CD/DVD with designs. Install and enjoy.
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...e+hoop+book.do

The projects are simple and easy to do. Good way to see if you like quilting in the hoop. Hoop Sisters and Queen of Stitching are expensive. (worth it)

I just mentioned digitizing, since I see how the flip and fold works, I can do my own if I feel like it.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by sept97 View Post
I recently came across in the hoop quilting while searching on the net. Where do you get patterns for it and what is battilizer? I would lover to try this

Try looking at the quilts by HOOP SISTERS...The battilizer is normally used with similar quilts - where the fabric is a solid color (much like a whole cloth quilt) and the actual "quilt" or the pretty stuff is the actual quilting, which is very dense, and is normally done on a block by block quilt as you go basis.........Hope this helps you some.................
Old 10-05-2014, 03:16 PM

Hoopsisters, Kenny's creations and a few more I would have to look up have great "in the hoop" quilts..I like Kenny's creations, they have some really pretty designs Storm at sea, pineapple etc...Eliminates a lot of rotary cutting not all but a lot...the battilizer is a Hoopsister's product, it is a batting and stabilizer combination..
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM

Battilizer is a "Hoop Sisters" product. They use the battilizer instead of regular batting. It is quite stiff. I have completed two Hoop Sisters projects. In the first one I used the battilizer. I realized that it is not necessary to use it so in the second one I used 80/20 batting and it stitched up just fine and I actually preferred it as it wasn't so stiff.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:24 PM

I have no clue how to use digitiing software. I was hoping I could get a design, put it on my flash drive and just put it in my embroidering machine.
You "kind of" can do that....for instance...get yourself an outline...say of a dresden plate...then you have to decide if you are going to applique it, or stitch it out as a quilting motif. As a quilting motif, it's pretty straight forward..just practice on some scraps first so you can get an idea of how different battings work with the design..(good idea to label them and save for future reference)...experiment with different decorative stitches, etc..,.
for applique..just go on you tube and do a search for applique with machine embroidery...tons of tutorials on there..
Either method is not hard, I just think you're intimidated...so go for it! Especially if you're using sample blocks at first, you have nothing to lose!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:31 PM

do you HAVE to use battilizer or can you use a batting like warm and natural?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:51 PM

lol sorry I read this AFTER I asked my last question about having to use battilizer.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:43 AM

I have no clue how to use digitiing software. I was hoping I could get a design, put it on my flash drive and just put it in my embroidering machine.
you can do that sept97. That is what I do with all my designs, well mostly anyway. There are lots of in the hoop quilting designs out there, you can but them on a cd or order them off Embroidery Library. I have beautiful Quilt Block designs. Just look around you will find them, no stabilizer needed for me either.