Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: House Hunters////

Blog Entries

Talking House Hunters////

I was watching an old rerun of house hunters and this young family were temporarily with his mom and dad while they hunted for a new house. His mom had quilts everywhere. I kept thinking that is what I want not a room that does not have at least a couple of quilts laying around for the family to use. I guess I better start making more for me and not so may to give away... It was kind of cool that I recognized so may of the patterns.

Blog Entries
    I was watching one of the house buying shows, not sure but I think it was Property Virgins and the most important priority was a sewing room!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Love that. Maybe that House Hunters episode is linked on the HGTV site? They have a lot of full episodes. If anyone finds the link, post it here! Would love to see it.
    Jenny in DC

House Hunters is my favorite show! and I don't remember this one...I'd love to see it!!!

LOL, that does sound like the perfect house, doesn't it?

I have quilts in every room except the kitchen. No wall space there.

Oh I have wall hanging quilts in my living room and hallways. They were made by my MIL who was a fantastic quilter. She did everything by hand and they are just wonderful. No one else in the family wanted them when she passed away, and I grabbed all of them!! And promptly hung them as soon as we returned home.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    One problem with open floor plans in a house is ...tadah...no walls to hang things on. My house isn't completely open but still not enough walls.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

I saw a house with an open floor plan, and the woman had covered the CEILING with quilts. I know that sounds strange, but it was just awesome! Plus she had taken a couple of room dividers, removed the fabric or whatever was in them, and replaced them with her own quilts. Each of the dividers had a "triptych" done in small quilts, or in other words, a series of 3 quilts that belonged together to make a whole scene. One was a series of natural settings, and you could see where the border went around the outside of the whole, not around each quilt. Flowers, butterflies, a garden path, trees -- all continues from one quilt to the next. It started with a meadow at one end, and finished with the beginnings of a forest at the other. It was just gorgeous! The other was more eclectic: the same quilt done in three very different color schemes, yet they all came together.

Can you tell this made an impression on me? I wish I had pictures!

Quilts make a house -- or condo or apartment -- into a home. They give color, warmth and personalization to the home. And you're right. I should be keeping more of my quilts instead of giving them all away! Thanks for the head's up!

Cheers!
    MacThayer

I love House Hunters and all those shows on HGTV. Would like to see Property Brothers get a hold of someone who wants a sewing room!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I give away all my quilts except maybe 7. And I've made so many quilts. I don't have any wall space to hang them. The ones I have are draped over my loveseat, couch, stuffed chair, bed and chair lounge. I only have small wall hangings in my sewing room. I have a tall piano, hutch, gun cabinet, giant mirror and pictures in my living room on the walls. No room for a quilt (even if I took down the pictures. The mirror has to stay and it's huge). My master bedroom is full of windows with nice curtains on them and two large dressers with mirrors, so no room there. My computer room has one wall that I have clips up to hang quilts to take pictures of them, but I guess I could hang a quilt there. I wish I had wall space. Draping them over furniture doesn't show the whole quilt, just a slice.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I've seen a few beautiful quilts on House Hunters. Mostly on the beds, but I think I may have seen the episode that you are talking about. If it is the same one she had a really gorgeous quilt hanging on the living room wall.

I think I saw that episode twice. She had very brightly colored quilts. A sewing room would be a priority for me too. I have a small room and share it with my 4 cats. I cut and quilt in the dining room also. HGTV and DIY stations is all I watch and not much. Our cable company is changing our channels and I didn't see DIY listed anywhere.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    I have have a small flag quiit above my refrigerator as there is a high ceiling and it fits there. I never thought about it before, but I have a quilt in every room. I still have room for more

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I give away all my quilts except maybe 7. And I've made so many quilts. I don't have any wall space to hang them. The ones I have are draped over my loveseat, couch, stuffed chair, bed and chair lounge. I only have small wall hangings in my sewing room. I have a tall piano, hutch, gun cabinet, giant mirror and pictures in my living room on the walls. No room for a quilt (even if I took down the pictures. The mirror has to stay and it's huge). My master bedroom is full of windows with nice curtains on them and two large dressers with mirrors, so no room there. My computer room has one wall that I have clips up to hang quilts to take pictures of them, but I guess I could hang a quilt there. I wish I had wall space. Draping them over furniture doesn't show the whole quilt, just a slice.
    If you have a door that remains open you could drape it over the door, I have one I like to change at least with every season.

I found a space on the wall behind our stove.

good ideamimiof4 thanks for the tip

My girlfriend has a PIZZA quilt in her kitchen! It looks delicious with all of the appliqued meats and cheese pieces on it. I want to replicate it and hang it in my kitchen!

Quote Originally Posted by Amythyst02 View Post
    Oh I have wall hanging quilts in my living room and hallways. They were made by my MIL who was a fantastic quilter. She did everything by hand and they are just wonderful. No one else in the family wanted them when she passed away, and I grabbed all of them!! And promptly hung them as soon as we returned home.
    Bless you for caring enough to take your MIL's quilts, I see so many in estate/yard/goodwills sales My heart hurts knowing some one cared so much to make them and no one in the family cares enough to keep them. I just hope my children caare more for mine.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    I went on a Home Tour this past weekend and saw a couple bedrooms with handmade quilts. One was an appliqued quilt made with silk fabrics. Simply beautiful.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    According to Kaye Wood, there are "kitchen quilts" which are pot holders that are never used for pot holders because you don't cook!
    quilting with my dogs