Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Household items turned quilting notions? >

Household items turned quilting notions?

Household items turned quilting notions?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 AM

My favorite old coffee mug recently cracked, now it holds small rulers, marking pencils and my turner which happens to be a small aluminum knitting needle.

I use the spice rubs that come in tins and when labels are removed and they are cleaned they make great holders for bobbins, machine feet.

A thrift store find was a silver plate bread basket (wire type) Holds small scraps next to machine on sewing table, bottom is nice so doesn't scratch cabinet, and colors showing through wires are pretty.

Bamboo cutting board to raise portable up to right level in machine table, also doubles as pressing surface with an old t shirt cover for iron on transfers.

Nylon netting strip sewn down thru center and gathered and tied off makes a great tool for grabbing loose threads off floors, carpet.

Zip loks for small templates storage

Vintage small china saucers to hold pins, bobbins, presser foot when using walking foot, etc' right at the side of the machine.

The metal mesh pencil and stuff holders holders used for office stuff, are narrow enough to sit on my window sill, holds scissors, more rulers, ball points etc.

Old tea tin for holding pkgs of machine needles. Mine is tall enough to hold those packs that are about 5 inches high

Those little silica packets used to absorb moisture are great when storing anything that might rust like machine feet, needles, pins etc, I never toss those out.

My DH says Iam a packrat, but I love to re-purpose stuff and am always looking for ways.

LOVED all your suggestions!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 AM

I use:
- a sliverware try in the drawers to organize small supplies
- a 2"x3" ziplock bag I found first at the candy-making store and then in jewelry supplies that I put the spool of thread and matching bobbin in, so I don't have to guess which bobbin goes with which thread!
- a soft artist's paintbrush to clean the bobbin area
- zip lock freezer bags (gallon size are great) for WIP
- painter's tape (all widths) for quilting lines
- sandpaper to hold fabric steady when I trace templates, or write a label
- pop top vitamin bottle to hold old needles
- frezzer paper as a stabilizer for applique and machine embroidery
- pipe cleaner to put through the cone of large thread to attach its correct bobbin
- dryer sheets to clean the iron
Old 10-14-2010, 05:00 AM

I am working on a quilt with 9 different block designs. I precut all the fabric, and put the fabric for each block in a zipperlock freezer bag, then labeled the bag with masking tape "Block 1", etc. for whatever block it was for. When I've sewn the blocks, I remove the tape and the bag is reusable. I hang finished blocks with pant hangers from the department store, and cover them with a plastic grocery bag (with the open end on the bottom, cut a small hole in the top to slip over the hanger) to keep them from the dust, light, etc.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:02 AM

Great info as usual
Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 AM

I use a hanging shoe storage panel,purchased at a discount store for 3 bucks, to store gizmos and gadgets. The pockets are clear, the backing is lightweight and it has grommets at the top for hanging.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 AM

I also b uy the makeup brush kits from the dollar store for sewing. These allot me enough brushes to put some in my travel bag for sewing group and have soem a tthe two different sewing stations. And, they come in a variety of sizes.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
My LQS sells re-sharpened rotary blades for $2 when you turn your old one in. They are done on a special machine and not by them. I got one recently but have not used it yet, but figured it was worth a try. I will use it next.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAlice
My sewing room is in my basement, so when I needed a second pincushion, I went over to the the kids toy area and grabbed a Furby. Makes a great pin cushion,stands on the table and is small.(the kids are older, they don't mind)

I discovered that my sewing machine with the expanded base fits perfectly on the keyboard shelf of an old corner computer desk I dont use anymore. Its like having a custom sewing table.

I use a glass next to my machine to hold cut threads, and squares of batting to hold threads by the longarm. When they are covered, I chuck them. (can you tell I have a thread problem!!)
I saw an idea for thread and small scraps for bird lovers. Put in a hanging basket and the birds take them for nests. I have been putting mine in a plastic bag hanging by the cutting table to remind me and will do that in the spring.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 AM

Another paper that is really all purpose is that awful paper you sit on on the Dr.'s table. If you know the staff at the office ask them if they have any short rolls or maybe one that was soiled when they got it. It is thin enought to use for tracing and stiff enough to hold up for designing and patterns. Helps if the nurse is a quilter too.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 AM

I use the very small pony tail holders that are purchased at Family Dollar for $1.00 for 300 to put around my bobbins to hold the thread. I also purchase my rotary blades at Harbor Freight. They are $1.99 for 2 blades and work great. They are in the carpet department.