Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Household items turned quilting notions?

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    The paper you mentioned is parchment paper and it can be used for anything for which you need an ironingsheet. Because it's non-stick, it's especially good for any fusible applications, - applique as you mentioned is one.

lots of folks use a spoon, especially a grapefruit spoon as the tool to help put in quilting safety pins...holds the fabric down as you push the pin thru - the serrations on the graprfruit spoon can help keep the pointed end of the pin from moving around when you try to close it.
    I use an old spark plug for the safety pin lever - inbuilt with its own groove.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I use bamboo skewers as a "stilleto". I cut one in half and taped the cut end. Works great and is CHEAP!

I use freezer paper for appliqueing

I have a wire "tray" thing that our flatware came in to hold my rulers.

I bought old plastic flatware trays at thrift stores to hold my individual pieces.

I haven't got it finished yet, but I was able to find a 6 foot roller shade at a thrift store for $10.00. I bought some flannel and will glue the flannel to it. VOILA - a designer wall!!!!
    I use two thing for my rules. One is a thing for cutting sliced bread that I got for a birthday present but never used and the other is the stand up tray holder that my kitchen cutting boards came in.

Quote Originally Posted by FabricHappy
    Wow, I love all the tips being shared here. Here's my "2cents" to add(haha): 1.a pencil box to store my rotary cutter in 2.Gerber plastic tubs to store pins,beads,embellishments,etc in. 3.bamboo skewer poke corners out. 4.antique school desk for my sewing machine. 5.terrycloth ponytail holders on my bobbins. 6.shoe boxes & gift shirt boxes for storing fabric scraps & strips. 7.flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth from dollar store for quilt layouts. 8.empty Hershey's cocoa powder container/coffeemug/coffee can for pens,pencils,markers,etc..9.large empty cereal boxes, trimmed, to hold quilt magazines. 10.Love to use heart-shaped candy boxes from Valentine's Day for heart templates.............Well, there you have it...some of my uses of nonquilting items, put to use for my quilting habit:)...:)
    I also have been loving this thread! Don't know if it will help anyone but I use a large soda bottle to fill my iron--no spills. On a thread the other day it was mentioned that some were waiting for DH to make larger board ironing surface---like ME. I have been turning my board around and using it (backwards), get a larger surface and can still use small end to hold iron--or use table next to it. I also have a rectangular board that turns and my large cutting mat fits on it, by putting it on the ironing board it is just the right height to cut and I can cut all around it without moving my material.
    Have fun and take care Imak

Dryer sheets are also good for cleaning your iron when you get fusible glue on it. Just run your warm iron over a new sheet several times & Wa!La! a clean sole plate!

Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Haven't read all the posts yet so probably already mentioned but I love the press n' seal wrap for machine quilting. What a great product!
    I like this one too, but unfortunately can't seem to find it here any more...maybe if enough quilters demand it....

Quote Originally Posted by quilterfly
    Dryer sheets are also good for cleaning your iron when you get fusible glue on it. Just run your warm iron over a new sheet several times & Wa!La! a clean sole plate!
    I have 2 tissue boxes full of USED dryer sheets as I have found that you do not need to use new ones!! I use one side--fold in half and use use the up side. I don't turn it over as I am not sure where I have used it won't stick to board cover.

Imak

I use old computer disc holders to hold cords, string and yarn as dispensers. I cut a hole in the lid that goes over the spindle thing that the discs ar stacked on and I poke the cord.thread through the hole, and the ball of yarn or beads etc onto the spindle and put the lid on. I can see what is in there and stuff can be stacked without tangling.

wow lots of great tips
    HUGS Dora

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    My hubby uses Copenhagen(snuff in a little round box) YUCK!! BUT,they are the pefect size for used rotary blades. When its full I tape the box and toss it all.
    This reminds me that I do use my empty blood strip container (I'm diabetic) to put broken or old needles. When it is full, I can safely put the sharps in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    These aren't earth-shattering but almost everything in my sewing room is not specifically for sewing. I use a dish-drying rack for a ruler stand. And I'm a container nut. Everything is in a container-within a container - all re-purposed. I covered a liquor box with fabric to use as a scrap basket. I use an old stereo cabinet for a rolling shelf unit, with great shelves! I use front-loading in-out boxes and slip in old candy boxes for seperate marking/cutting tool containers ... beside a silverware tray with lots of compartments. I use a kitchen turntable for all kinds of things, and pizza boxes for blocks-in-progress. Everything is labeled.
    Love the pizza box idea, although not practical for an RV.

Beth the blue featherweight in your avatar picture is lovely!
    I would like a purple one someday.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Quote Originally Posted by katied772
    Haven't read all the posts yet so probably already mentioned but I love the press n' seal wrap for machine quilting. What a great product!
    I like this one too, but unfortunately can't seem to find it here any more...maybe if enough quilters demand it....
    Assuming you are in the U.S., it is available in most grocery stores as well as Wal-Mart, etc.

One of my favorites is to take a double sided magnet and attach it to my Ott light fixture, while hanging prethreaded needles on the side for quick quilting. Don't have to stop and rethread every time. If they seem to tangle (I've found 4-5 is plenty), use small post-it pieces to hold the ends together.

HI: It is freezer paper and it makes applique easy. YOu make the pattern iron on to fabric, cut 1/4 around pattern then use a small iron with a brush and brush on liquid starch to the quarter inch and use a pointed tool to start turning edge and press with iron all around the edge, then remove paper and using fabric glue put a small drop on the seam and glue to background fabric. I usually glue the pieces together, such as the leaves of a flower and then lay on the fabric. I will show you one of my original patterns Louise

First project of applique
    Name:  Attachment-105915.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  58.6 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

HI: It is freezer paper and it makes applique easy. YOu cut out the pattern then iron on to fabric, cut 1/4 around pattern then use a small iron with a brush and brush on liquid starch to the quarter inch and use a pointed tool to start turning edge and press with iron all around the edge, then remove paper and using fabric glue put a small drop on the seam and glue to background fabric. I usually glue the pieces together, such as the leaves of a flower and then lay on the fabric. I will show you my first project.

First project of applique
    Name:  Attachment-105917.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  58.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    Check out this blog...she has it down to almost a science!

Makes a trip to Lowe's ALOT more fun! LoL!

sewmanyways.blogspot.com
    OMG!!! I have been on that site for 45 minutes. Thanks that is awesome!!!
    I just did the same thing for about an hour. Needless to say I bookmarked the site. I will certainly use some of her ideas...I have no vision when it comes to repurposing. :|

Slow2Sew, can you please elaborate on your suggestion of a magnesium (concrete) floater to hold a long ruler in place for rotary cutting? Sounds like something I'd like to know more about but I'm clueless on what a magnesium floater is. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by imak
    Quote Originally Posted by FabricHappy
    Wow, I love all the tips being shared here. Here's my "2cents" to add(haha): 1.a pencil box to store my rotary cutter in 2.Gerber plastic tubs to store pins,beads,embellishments,etc in. 3.bamboo skewer poke corners out. 4.antique school desk for my sewing machine. 5.terrycloth ponytail holders on my bobbins. 6.shoe boxes & gift shirt boxes for storing fabric scraps & strips. 7.flannel-backed vinyl tablecloth from dollar store for quilt layouts. 8.empty Hershey's cocoa powder container/coffeemug/coffee can for pens,pencils,markers,etc..9.large empty cereal boxes, trimmed, to hold quilt magazines. 10.Love to use heart-shaped candy boxes from Valentine's Day for heart templates.............Well, there you have it...some of my uses of nonquilting items, put to use for my quilting habit:)...:)
    I also have been loving this thread! Don't know if it will help anyone but I use a large soda bottle to fill my iron--no spills. On a thread the other day it was mentioned that some were waiting for DH to make larger board ironing surface---like ME. I have been turning my board around and using it (backwards), get a larger surface and can still use small end to hold iron--or use table next to it. I also have a rectangular board that turns and my large cutting mat fits on it, by putting it on the ironing board it is just the right height to cut and I can cut all around it without moving my material.
    Have fun and take care Imak

I use the bottle from liquid Coffee-Mate coffee creamer for dispensing water into my iron, works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan
    HI: It is freezer paper and it makes applique easy. YOu make the pattern iron on to fabric, cut 1/4 around pattern then use a small iron with a brush and brush on liquid starch to the quarter inch and use a pointed tool to start turning edge and press with iron all around the edge, then remove paper and using fabric glue put a small drop on the seam and glue to background fabric. I usually glue the pieces together, such as the leaves of a flower and then lay on the fabric. I will show you one of my original patterns Louise
    I use this method also...Beautiful quilt!

What great ideas.. thank you Jan

I use the clear plastic containers with zippers and the plastic hook that curtains, etc., come in for storing various supplies. I hang them on my wire stand shelves in my sewing room and can easily see what I have (and where it's at). Maybe somebody has already had this. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Thanks for all the great ideas! There are some great ones, and very helpful too!

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Beth the blue featherweight in your avatar picture is lovely!
    I would like a purple one someday.
    Sharon
    Thank you Sharon. I posted all my singer machines on the 12th. This is the one I redid several years ago. I love that "Blueberry". Beth

Quote Originally Posted by labbyrobinson
    Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    These aren't earth-shattering but almost everything in my sewing room is not specifically for sewing. I use a dish-drying rack for a ruler stand. And I'm a container nut. Everything is in a container-within a container - all re-purposed. I covered a liquor box with fabric to use as a scrap basket. I use an old stereo cabinet for a rolling shelf unit, with great shelves! I use front-loading in-out boxes and slip in old candy boxes for seperate marking/cutting tool containers ... beside a silverware tray with lots of compartments. I use a kitchen turntable for all kinds of things, and pizza boxes for blocks-in-progress. Everything is labeled.
    Love the pizza box idea, although not practical for an RV.
    I had several in our RV, I just slid them under the sofa. Room for at least 6...

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast