Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How badly >

How badly

How badly

Old 12-17-2010, 05:33 AM

LOL The first thing I do when I finish a quilt is take pictures of it. Post them here, on Facebook, send them to my mom and mother in law...I just HAVE to show it off - it has been SO HARD to not share the ones I've made for Mom and MIL!! My hubby is the first to see it too, though...because he usually has to hold it for the pictures! haha He never criticizes...but I can always tell by the tone of his non-committal "Oh...nice..." whether he really likes it or not. He's only ever had a "real" reaction to a test block appliqué that I did for the quilt I'm planning for HIM. LOL
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 AM

I loved showing things I 'd made, and hubby usually has something nice to say. My biggest disappointment was when I showed my brother the GF quilt, I was so proud of it, and I thought he would be proud of me for making it. Instead, he said," What good is it?" I felt like bawling! Then he said, "you put all that work making something too fancy to sleep under", so for him, it was useless. I never showed him anything else!! And, I am hesitant to show any of my sewing anymore.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Maybe you can start a blog. I think we all should have one. Maybe someone can give you some help with that. I know I need help.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

OMG, I can't wait to show off my quilts, especially here! I love how everyone is so encouraging and supportive here. And if we ask, we can also get constructive criticism.

I also love to put my quilts in my local un-juried quilt show. Unfortunately because it is un-judged (only peoples choice awards and vendors choice) I never have gotten a judged critique so I know what needs improvement. I'm not sure if my county fair gives a critique, I have never entered a quilt.

I also have to show my friends and relatives my WIPS and such when they come over to visit.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
I loved showing things I 'd made, and hubby usually has something nice to say. My biggest disappointment was when I showed my brother the GF quilt, I was so proud of it, and I thought he would be proud of me for making it. Instead, he said," What good is it?" I felt like bawling! Then he said, "you put all that work making something too fancy to sleep under", so for him, it was useless. I never showed him anything else!! And, I am hesitant to show any of my sewing anymore.
I understand how a comment like that would hurt you so. But chalk it up to ignorance about our creative process and art. Many many people just don't get it. Please do not let this one insensitive remark keep you from showing any of your work. You know we love to see it and I bet you have other friends and relatives who do as well!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 PM

I absolutely agree. I don't think I'd quilt at all if I felt that I had to keep everything to myself. The best part for me is talking about the process and showing my quilts. I love when one of my sisters comes for a visit and asks to see one of my quilts. Please always feel like you can share with us! I personally want to see everything!

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by clem55
I understand how a comment like that would hurt you so. But chalk it up to ignorance about our creative process and art. Many many people just don't get it. Please do not let this one insensitive remark keep you from showing any of your work. You know we love to see it and I bet you have other friends and relatives who do as well!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks Kay. I do have a blog. I just started one not so long ago. I don't have very many posts but I plan to add more photos of my older quilts in time.

Originally Posted by KayT
Maybe you can start a blog. I think we all should have one. Maybe someone can give you some help with that. I know I need help.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks Kay. I do have a blog. I just started one not so long ago. I don't have very many posts but I plan to add more photos of my older quilts in time.

Originally Posted by KayT
Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 PM

I love to share and look!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM

I would love to show off my quilts here but I don't know how to post the pictures yet.