Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I make shelves myself for my closet? >

How can I make shelves myself for my closet?

How can I make shelves myself for my closet?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Or you could look at industrial shelving.
The stuff I use is from the Tennsco line.

http://www.tennsco-shelving.com/

It has changed over the years - the last units I purchased have white laminate boards for the shelving and I have the lighter duty units.

The frames are pounded together with a rubber mallet/hammer. The shelves are adjustable in 1.5 inch increments (I think)

It's sturdy - The bigger units go together better with two people doing it - one to hold the piece in place and the other to pound - but no nails, screws, etc. are needed. The only other thing necessary might be shims to get them level and floor or carpet protectors.

Also - the shelves can be adjusted without dismantling the whole thing. And if you ever decided to move, they dismantle fairly easily. (My DH pounded the last ones together - and he wanted them to be SOLID - so it took me a bit of effort to get the shelf support loose - but I did do it) And there would probably be no problem in reselling them if you didn't care for them.

The cost - I thought reasonable - at least compared to building it ourselves - it is utilitarian, but is available in several colors.

The last time I looked, various widths and lengths of components were available. The vertical support posts can be cut to whatever length you need, but you would probably be charged for the nearest longer length that is 'standard'

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-10-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 AM

I put heavy plastic (resin maybe) shelves in my closet. Two 5 shelf units are just the perfect size for my former closet----------6' wide. The units I have are a decent depth. If I remember, I paid about $40 for each unit from Home Depot (maybe Lowes??)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Glass blocks make great shelf supports. When they are on sale they're about $.99 each. Boards and blocks is all you need.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM

I have an armoire and put the clear vinyl on the shelves to protect the fabric from the wood.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I bought the wire shelving from Home Depot and installed it in my sewing room closet. It comes in 12" & 18" deep and it's installed with brackets. There are clips that support it along the back wall. My advice is to be sure you install enough brackets to support the fabric or it will cause the shelf to bow in the center.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:36 PM

I'd just buy a bookshelf from the Goodwill.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM

You can even use small bookcases in your closet, look at yardsales, thriftstores, or any store. So what if they don't look pretty the fabric won't care