Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How come?

How come when I post a topic, I only get one or two responses and it never ends up on the message board when we get our daily or every other day updates? Other people's topic end up on the main board and mine gets buried in the other topics. I have posted several topics and haven't ever seen them on the main page. Is it a timing issue or does someone decide what is deemed worthy of the other posting page? Just wondering?

Blog Entries
    My guess would be that it depends on how many posts are made on the topic, or it could be how many views. I am sure a moderator will come along and tell us. You could pm one of the moderators and ask if noone has the answer.

Hmmm... I dont know. Dont take it personally Ive posted several times too and mine never show either (on the newsletter) no biggie. As far as just getting a couple of responses, Im not sure what could be going on there. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have a question :) Im not a pro, but if I can I will most certainly help you :):) take care!

The reason I'm wondering is because yesterday's posting had some pictures that also showed up in todays message board. Many of these topics or show and tell pictures have 14-18 pages of responses. It's weird.

Maybe some subjects are just more interesting than others.

Blog Entries
    Not sure, was wondering the same thing...

but I looked at my topics and look at views and posting, getting a lot of views and not posting, so I'm sure it has to do with who all comments! But that's just my opinon..I'm fairly new to this board too!

Only the most active topics show up on that newsletter. I don't think I have had one there either.
    There is no discrimination or favorites. Though a lot of the folkes on here have made a lot of friends so their topics may get visited more.

Main Page??? always go to Unread topics and then to check on one's that I have answered I will check read topics.

I agree with Jim's Gem...I also think it has to do with the sheer volume of postings this board gets....I "check in" pretty much daily and I still miss heaps and if I keep spending an hour or so a day here, I'm never going to be able to finish my quilts. Don't forget we are international...so not everyone's up and about at the same times. You may not always get comments, but check out views....some people are shy, maybe can't be online much, or just can't keep up with "watched topics".

I always go to Unread topics and then check my inbox for watched topics. I don't think Main is any more special than any other area...In fact if you look at the view rate on Pictures - you would find it gets a bigger hit rate.
    Quilters are very visual/tactile people!

Anyway, there's my five cents worth (even with your currency today I believe). Keep posting and happy quilting.

Just so you know, I'm not upset or anything...I was just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by christinetindell
    Just so you know, I'm not upset or anything...I was just wondering.
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Keep posting! We want to see and hear from you!!

Blog Entries
    yes! absolutely please keep posting! we're tickled pink to have you here! :thumbup:

i'll tell you a secret. feel free to pass it along the grapevine.

the number of responses a topic gets doesn't necessarily indicate how good that topic is, or how much value it adds to our community.

the best topics are those that are posted to share our projects; to share useful information; to ask positive, constructive questions so we can learn from each other; or that otherwise contribute to the fun, sharing, learning, and happiness here.

one of those with only a few responses contributes oobledy goobledy buckets and boatloads more than a complaining topic that generates page after page of sympathy and anger. ;-)

keep up the good work. we all love you. cross my heart. even if we don't say it often enough. ;-)

Power Poster
    I think it depends on what time you post. If you post real early in the morning, and then everyone else posts, your message gets lost. Also, depending on what your post is about, people may not be able to or not want to answer.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I think it depends on the "title" or your post. Be specific about what you need help with. Or specific on what picture you are showing. Just like a magazine ad, the headline determines whether or not you would read the info below. I posted a topic "what notions are a waste of money?" that got 40 pages of responses and made the digest. If I had just said "notions," who would have bothered to click on it?

If you rely on your e-mail newsletter that used to be from Konstantin, and is now from a new ISP, you will never post anything that gets talked about as the new server sends your newsletter after the day is well in progress. I used to get mine and start reading and posting at 4:30a.m. Now by the time it arrives in my e-mail, I am long gone from the computer and on with my daily whatevers. So, now I have to come directly to the board in order to read the newest things posted.

Quote Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
    I think it depends on the "title" or your post. Be specific about what you need help with. Or specific on what picture you are showing. Just like a magazine ad, the headline determines whether or not you would read the info below. I posted a topic "what notions are a waste of money?" that got 40 pages of responses and made the digest. If I had just said "notions," who would have bothered to click on it?
    I agree with you wholeheartedly CompulsiveQuilter....vague topic titles drive me nuts....sorry....but I have opened some of them to see what they were trying to talk about and quickly left because it made no sense to their topic title which in itself was non specific. I just have never figured out why members use such vague titles...maybe hoping it draws interest or curiosity but for me it does the exact opposite and many times is a total waste of my limited time here on the board. This is not meant to be critical but it also makes our search feature that much more frustrating because the program created for this feature has no idea where it should go....so even if it's a really good topic of information one would be hardpressed to ever find that topic again. It truly takes our more advanced and computer master members to help others out with finding them again.

That said there are thousands of replies to topics here each and every day so people look for the topics that interest them and don't always have time to wade through each and every title.
    Many people don't reply to topics when they feel what they have to offer has already been said. Plus, there are topics that have been repeated so often and could be found in the search feature that maybe many members just don't post to those anymore. Whatever the reason for people not posting a lot on a particular topic please know that each and every person is valued and appreciated on this board. So don't give up or get discouraged....just keep on keeping on and ask, help and learn from this fabulous board.

I guess I wasn't commenting on the amount of comments I get, what I was asking was, why do my posts not appear when we get our daily message board digest? I get a whole list of quilting related topics, then pictures from members, then non-quilted related things, etc, etc...you know how it goes, but my messages are never posted there, they have to be searched in the "recent topics" section. I just wondered what the criteria was for having your topic on that first main page.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    Just keep on posting...Some topics are read more than others...some comments and some just looked at and totally passed by...

Mine always seem to get posted and get responses but not on the main page, or pictures. So I really thought I was posting incorrectly. Glad to hear that is not the case. Thanks for the topic.

Please don't stop posting! I try to read everything, doesn't always work out. We want to hear your thoughts so please keep them coming. Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    Not sure, was wondering the same thing...

but I looked at my topics and look at views and posting, getting a lot of views and not posting, so I'm sure it has to do with who all comments! But that's just my opinon..I'm fairly new to this board too!
    But if the topic isn't posted, how can anyone comment??

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    yes! absolutely please keep posting! we're tickled pink to have you here! :thumbup:

i'll tell you a secret. feel free to pass it along the grapevine.

the number of responses a topic gets doesn't necessarily indicate how good that topic is, or how much value it adds to our community.

the best topics are those that are posted to share our projects; to share useful information; to ask positive, constructive questions so we can learn from each other; or that otherwise contribute to the fun, sharing, learning, and happiness here.

one of those with only a few responses contributes oobledy goobledy buckets and boatloads more than a complaining topic that generates page after page of sympathy and anger. ;-)

keep up the good work. we all love you. cross my heart. even if we don't say it often enough. ;-)
    Thanks Patrice, that sums it up nicely. :thumbup:

I'm sure a lot of us have had this problem a time or two. I once ask a question and got a few answers. Then I checked 'my posts' a couple of days later and there were pages of comments that had been added on. I was surprized but glad to read all that was said.

So, just keep posting. I've never had a question not answered ..... and I've learned so many things that have helped me improve something about my quilting. I only hope I can help someone out there that needs an answer to something they are doing.

Doesn't it have something to do with the most active posts for that particular day?

Quote Originally Posted by BettyGee
    Please don't stop posting! I try to read everything, doesn't always work out. We want to hear your thoughts so please keep them coming. Okay?
    What I don't understand is when a post isn't on Main or Pictures etc., how do the folks that respond to my post find it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast