Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How come?

it is not you!! i have posted several topics, and some have made and some did not.....usually, if it is a personal question, like which scissors to use for a particular project, it will not get posted, but if it is something that everyone has an opinion, like quilt stores throughtout the usa, then it will get posted......gina

I have posted several times also and was surprised to see it was not listed under new topics for the day. When I respond to an existing post it shows up almost right away. Still confused about what gets posted and when you have to send it in. I have posted late hoping to see it the next day, was not there. Also posted early (not at 4 am!!) but about 9 am, wasn't there either. I'll keep trying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by christinetindell
    How come when I post a topic, I only get one or two responses and it never ends up on the message board when we get our daily or every other day updates? Other people's topic end up on the main board and mine gets buried in the other topics. I have posted several topics and haven't ever seen them on the main page. Is it a timing issue or does someone decide what is deemed worthy of the other posting page? Just wondering?
    I had wondered the same thing about a couple of my posted topics. It was only recently I realized this Message Board is only a "digest" which does not contain ALL the postings. And here I was relying on the daily digest to get the whole scoop. Now I'll also have to make time to get to the home page and catch up on all the happenings. Another couple of hours out of my day? :D

Blog Entries
    Don't confuse the Message Board/Quilting Board/Forum with the Digests. The board is here all the time, 24/7/365. all you have to do is come here ( http://www.quiltingboard.com ), log in, and fish around. in fact, you can select an option that will log you in automatically as soon as you get here. couldn't be easier.

Digests are emails automatically sent by our server software to subscribed members. To subscribe, or to change your current subscription settings, go to this web address:

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/supportcenter.jsp

It's extremely important that everyone understand that the digests only point toward a teeeeeeeeeeny tiny smattering of the topics posted here. If a member relies only on the digests to get here, or as their only method of keeping up with the neighborhood, she will miss most of what's going on. "Reading the digest" barely scratches the surface of everything available here.

The Digests are the least efficient way of keeping current. if you routinely come straight to the board and surf around on your own to check the latest happenings, you'll never need the digests.

Here's my own routine:

1. I set the board as my browser home page so i come straight here as soon as i hit the internet. (other options include putting a shortcut on your desktop, or adding the board to your browser favorites/bookmarks.)
    2. I check my private messages by clicking on the "Private Messages" link at the top of the page. Once I've read and answered all my new mail, I
    3. Click on the "Watched Topics" link at the top of the page to see the latest developments in topics of special interest to me. Once I've looked at all of those, I
    4. Click on the "Unread Topics" link at the top of the page so I can see everything that's brand new since I last visited the board. After that, I
    5. Click on the "Recent Topics" link. That takes me straight to all of the topics that have been updated since I last visited the board.

After that, i use the links at the bottom of the page if i want to go straight to a particular section ... just in case i missed anything.

The board is open 24/7/365. Join me, brothers and sisters! Declare your independence from the digests! Come to the board whenever you want! Go wherever you want! Read and contribute at any time of the day or night!

Revel in the freedom! (Picture a smiley, standing on a mountain top, hair blowing in the breeze, flags flapping all around, blazing sunset behind, birds singing, crowds below roaring with joy and laughter, dancing in the streets.)

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Patrice. I just recently figured out how it's supposed to work. I think these guidelines should be sent to all new members! I can't imagine how much I've missed out on since I found the Board. Now that I know how it works I can spend more time on here! :D Which, by the way, I love.

Blog Entries
    The newsletter is 'the most active topics" on the board. You might try using clearer language in your title to get people to read them? You are wanted here. {HUGS}

Thanks so much Patrice. I'll try and do as your instructions direct. Great site made better by knowing what to do.

Blog Entries
    How come when I post a topic, I only get one or two responses and it never ends up on the message board when we get our daily or every other day updates? Other people's topic end up on the main board and mine gets buried in the other topics. I have posted several topics and haven't ever seen them on the main page. Is it a timing issue or does someone decide what is deemed worthy of the other posting page? Just wondering?
    Same here with me as well. I post and receive PM's from folks but seldom does it get on the Board. I think I'm missing getting some of the newsletters though since I see things on here that I never had previous knowledge of even though the person posting says they are replying to something. I did put the new addy in my address book so I'd get all the newsletters from the Board.

Blog Entries
    Yea, I've wondered the same thing. I had not thought of the timing, but maybe you're on to something. I have days when I have more time than others. Days where I only read bc of time, days where I am so nosey I have to spend more time here. All in all I love the board and love to read others comments, good or different. I don't feel like there are bad comments, just different. I am so glad that we don't all think alike.

Patrice, thanks so much for the information. I had no idea that I was missing so much. Now to figure out how to make the board web address a shortcut--way beyond my computer skills!.

Funny, we learn something new every day. I only have read the stuff that comes to us daily...you called the digest??? Anyway, looks like I'll have to go to the main board and get more info. Have enjoyed everything that I've read:)

Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever gotten a newsletter. I just check in when I can (after working, and running around with my 2 year old DD) and making dinner and getting stuff sorted out at home.

Maybe it's a title or time of day? I've posted a few threads that haven't gotten much feedback, and one that did get a lot. I've no idea!

I've experienced the same thing on occasion, but other times my posts have gotten a lot of "action." I've noticed that posts with an attention-getting subject line seem to, well, get more attention :-) (Case in point: this post, titled "How Come?")

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ one of those with only a few responses contributes [i
    oobledy goobledy buckets and boatloads more[/i] than a complaining topic that generates page after page of sympathy and anger. ;-)
    HUH???

Quote Originally Posted by BARES
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ one of those with only a few responses contributes [i
    oobledy goobledy buckets and boatloads more[/i] than a complaining topic that generates page after page of sympathy and anger. ;-)
    HUH???
    Sorry missed on the cut and paste. I don't understand what that means.

Blog Entries
    I think if you read page one of this post you will understand. Patrice posted about 11th or 12 down the page.

HUH???

Blog Entries
    Dear members I have not had the digest at all.
    Look at the date that I joined and the number of post......
    I have gone nuts! PatriceJ has hit the bulls eye.
    There is so much here on the board to see and follow.
    I have clicked on the main page and been reading a post,
    gone back to see what else and there have been like magic multiple posting with my short away time.
    On the main page I can see what subjects I have replied to,
    Going to the tutorial page is another story and Iím already using the bookmarks.
    The Help page have made this journey possible and still learning.
    The QB is a shortcut on my desktop. I do log in and out, however.
    Thanks for this fun

Quote Originally Posted by BeeNana
    I think if you read page one of this post you will understand. Patrice posted about 11th or 12 down the page.

HUH???
    Thank you. I [ DID read it. Even went back are re-read it. Still don't understand it.

I think they are picking on you....teehee

Blog Entries
    When I post questions I really only want the responses that will help me with the issues I'm having so I'm glad it doesn't make it to the main page. I'd hate to have to go through pages of responses that didn't specifically address the question. My last question had 2 responses but both answered the issue I was having w/my machine so I was grateful.

I also know I don't read each post, some just jump out at me and those are the ones I gravitate to.

Are you posting your new topics in the Main Section? I looked at your Post History and it looks like the topics that you have started have been moved to the Picture section and there are lots of replies to them. I had that happen to me, once, I posted a new Topic in the main section (I think it was pictures of my new vintage sewing machine) and it was moved (probably by a moderator) to the "Picture" section. Hope this helps :-D

I was wonder the same thing.

YOu know you all have been wonderful and supportive. Since I posted that I also discovered wonderous worlds that I didn't even know existed on this board. I will post more when I feel like I have something to say, but until then, I'll keep looking! will be working on my daughter's wedding quilt tomorrow when I get up...I work nights (12 hour shifts) and have been on a 4 night stretch, so am looking forward to three days off.

OMG!!! my topic made it to the main page!!! Now I think I understand how...because of all of the replies...I think...oh well!!

Blog Entries
    Just so you know, I'm not upset or anything...I was just wondering.
    I've wondered the same thing. Also not just a posted topic, but also pictures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast