Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How did they make buttonholes with a featherweight? >

How did they make buttonholes with a featherweight?

How did they make buttonholes with a featherweight?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
The Singer buttonhole attachment usually comes in a deep green plastic case and contains the black coloured attachment and all of the different sized drop in discs and a cover plate for your feed dogs. The standard one came with 5 discs and others could be purchased. It makes straight and keyhole buttonholes and is wonderful because every buttonhole you make is the same size and perfect! You can adjust the width and the length varies from 3/8" to 1 1/16". The buttonholer in the green box was made for any straight stitch machine and even fits my Janome. The one in the rosy/pink box was for slant stitch Singers (301, Touch and Sew). The older buttonholes have metal discs while the newer ones(after 1960 or so) were made of plastic. These old buttonholers can often be picked up for less than $10. My local thrift store sells them at $3! I use my ancient old buttonholer all the time because the built in one on my Janome will not handle large or thick buttons which I need for the bags I make.
Thank you so much for posting this information! I have a buttonholer in a pink case and didn't know there was a difference between the pink and green. I am so tickled because I have a Rocketeer, 301 and two touch and sews.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

i remember making [can't recall the name of them] very nice finished buttonholes by sewing a rectangle, cutting an X in it, and sewing two strips to the right side. this was then pushed through to the wrong side. then the end v-cuts were stitched down. if it was a lined garment, then the X holes were cut in the lining and whip stitched to the back of the button hole.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 AM

with alot of patience!!! lol I hate making button holes!! good thing I don't have to do them with quilting! :)