Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you convert a garage into a quilt room/studio? >

How do you convert a garage into a quilt room/studio?

How do you convert a garage into a quilt room/studio?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by omak
:lol: I'm baaaack!
The boy! I remembered your boy! and had to stroll back through.
What an inspiring picture that is. And, he really looks like he was into it, too!

I keep telling our boy .... men are good at this. It is an angle thing. Men love angles. It is a number game. Men are good at numbers. Real men LOVE numbers. It is a man thing - - men are GREAT quilters.
Hi Omak,

I definitely think you're on to something there! My grandson is very smart and creative, and was really into helping this Grandma. Lucky me! :)
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
:lol: I'm baaaack!
The boy! I remembered your boy! and had to stroll back through.
What an inspiring picture that is. And, he really looks like he was into it, too!

I keep telling our boy .... men are good at this. It is an angle thing. Men love angles. It is a number game. Men are good at numbers. Real men LOVE numbers. It is a man thing - - men are GREAT quilters.
Hi Omak,

I definitely think you're on to something there! My grandson is very smart and creative, and was really into helping this Grandma. Lucky me! :)
Well, if you think about it ... quilts are constructive ... men LOVE constructive ... I know why daughter hates my "sexist" remarks, but doggone it! It gives the boy something to do, although ... I am beginning to see that he is getting really interested in the cattle ... our new calf needed a selenium shot, and boy told me he had never done it before, (which is how he tells us that he would like to try something, I guess) so Omakdaddy took him out this evening and let him give the shot.
Last question of the evening: So! When is the next cow going to calve?
I thought it was going to be July ... but, I am thinking ... that cow is probably a sneaker -- I am sure your hubby is saying: What do you mean it might be any day or in July??? What was she watching when the cow and bull got together ...????
It's a long story ... and, he should just go listen to some shamrock <g> or his brain might explode believing ANYONE could pull such a stupid stunt ... quilting and ranching .. what a combination, eh?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 AM

karla try www.hgtv.com or diynetwork.com they have shows on home projects hope this helps
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Last question of the evening: So! When is the next cow going to calve?
I thought it was going to be July ... but, I am thinking ... that cow is probably a sneaker -- I am sure your hubby is saying: What do you mean it might be any day or in July??? What was she watching when the cow and bull got together ...????
Hi Omak,

So, I just went and asked DH if he knew what a "sneaker" was, showing my citygirlness... Of course he did, and well, I already had it figured out any way! LOL

So, whatcha gonna name this one?

Karla
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by nellie
karla try www.hgtv.com or diynetwork.com they have shows on home projects hope this helps
Hi nellie,

Thanks for those resources! I'll definitely check 'em out!!

Karla
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Omak,

So, I just went and asked DH if he knew what a "sneaker" was, showing my citygirlness... Of course he did, and well, I already had it figured out any way! LOL

So, whatcha gonna name this one?

Karla
Well ... she is a Hereford/Simmental/Limousine cross. A beautiful white face with red spots over her eyes. She has a white spot on each of her hind feet above the hoof, a tip of white on the end of her tail, and a lot of white on the inside of her ears. I am thinking of naming her "Tippy", but I am thinking someone here might not think naming a cow with her name - - appropriate.
Hubby suggested Bandit, because of the spots around her eyes, but they really don't form a mask.
After that, I was thinking: Target, since from the first time she got up, she headed for the food bar and didn't fall over until after she had eaten ... first time I ever saw a calf get up and not fall over at least three times before she got the hang of walking. But, this calf just never went down until she was ready to lay down.
Boy says he is getting tired of keeping track of all the names, and he wants to name her "Hey You!" He is not the most creative tagger on the place, as you can see.
My sneaker cow is still incubating.
For a city girl, you do pretty well! LOL
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 PM

I have been thinking about your garage transformation.
I was remembering a huge table my folks had while we were growing up. Mom and Dad had been married in 1950, so this was their first kitchen table ... metal pedestal in the middle ... when the family started growing larger than the four sides could accomodate, we had a friend replace the top with a four by eight sheet of whatever, covered with counter topping. It isn't as high a platform as you want to work at capably, but it is a cost saving way of making the work stations for your new quilting room.
Take a pedestal of whatever counter height that is comfortable and top it with whatever ... if what is under it is cabinets or drawers ... it may or may not be a problem solver ... just something to think about, I guess.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 PM

Well ... she is a Hereford/Simmental/Limousine cross. A beautiful white face with red spots over her eyes. She has a white spot on each of her hind feet above the hoof, a tip of white on the end of her tail, and a lot of white on the inside of her ears. I am thinking of naming her "Tippy", but I am thinking someone here might not think naming a cow with her name - - appropriate.
Hubby suggested Bandit, because of the spots around her eyes, but they really don't form a mask.
After that, I was thinking: Target, since from the first time she got up, she headed for the food bar and didn't fall over until after she had eaten ... first time I ever saw a calf get up and not fall over at least three times before she got the hang of walking. But, this calf just never went down until she was ready to lay down.
Boy says he is getting tired of keeping track of all the names, and he wants to name her "Hey You!" He is not the most creative tagger on the place, as you can see.
My sneaker cow is still incubating.
For a city girl, you do pretty well! LOL
Hey Omak,

Well, my hubby is being a real comedian tonight, as he suggests you name it T-bone and call us when it's ready. :P :oops: Did I say he loves beef? Well, so do I, but to me, it's an animal before it's anything else. Let's see, how about "Spot"?? No? Well, I guess that does conjure up the likes of another animal, now doesn't it? Guess we're not so helpful, sorry. :D Pinto? Pox? Polka Spot? Oh heavens,... best quit while I'm ahead.

Goodnight,

Karla

ETA: After being married to farmer brown for nearly 25 years, guess I'm losing my city-slicker-ness. We's mountain folk now. LOL

Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM

We name the bull calves names like: EdiBull, DelectiBull, ChewaBull, CarvaBull, (you get the gist).
The different cuts would be a pretty good teaching aid for grandson. I will keep that in mind.
As a matter of fact, we are going to have an appreciation dinner at the Post in October ... it will be our roast beast ... LOTS of roast beast, but after y'all have enjoyed that meal, we could put some steaks on the next night ... come on over!
Of course ... your garage project will go on hold... but, heck! A good steak and fantastic company could very well be worth it all, eh?
If I knew anyone who knew how to make a pit, I would consider building a pit barbecue and invite everyone! Alas .. the only time I ever saw a real "cook out", I was a young-un and had a few head trauma accidents since then, so what I remember is pretty basic ... it started with a hole in the ground! LOL