Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching??? >

How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching???

How do you cut & carry swatches for fabric matching???

Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 AM

I cut 2 inch squares and using one of my quilting safety pins, I pin through them all (sometimes I have 2 or 3 pins like this for different projects). To carry them in my purse, I will attached them with a smaller safety pin to the upper side (near the side seams) so they are out of the way but always with me if I happen to find myself near a fabric store.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 AM

The dots are actually for the printer to use in checking color and lining up the print. You can notice them on boxes from the grocery store also. My husband used to teach printing.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:51 AM

If you are carrying a lot of them, buy an inexpensive photo wallet or whatever they are called and put one in each of the pockets (or even 2 back to back).
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 AM

I just snip a little piece and stick it in my pocket!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 AM

In addition to the list I posted previously, ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87101-5.htm#2177764 ) I've added the red lens glasses for viewing tones. The problem is that I am up to 3 brag books. This dos not include the FQ's, remnants, or scraps from the old square dance clothes I plan to slice into. It has helped many times to have the swatches with me. I've seen fabric I love, and want,, check my books, only to realize I already have it. I'll lust over a lovely piece until it goes on sale, or I have a coupon, but forget that I have it, until it goes on sale again. Ah, grey matter, inside and outside of the head. Glad I started my "system".
Old 10-24-2011, 04:15 AM

I have 5x8 inch index cards. I cut small 1" swatches of each fabric & glue them to the card with a glue stick. I then carry in my purse and they are always with me.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM

I usually am working on several items at a time (some non-quilting), and nearly always need something--matching/contrasting fabric, thread, buttons, etc. As I carry a fabric purse that I have made, I pin a piece of fabric to the outside of the purse (otherwise I would loose it in the bottom, or forget to look for whatever). This also draws my attention to the fact that I need to look for a particular item rather than just add more fabric to my stash. I leave the fabric pinned to my purse until I've found what I need, no matter where I go-fabric store, Wallyworld, thrift store, yard sale,you get the picture, I go as I never know where I might find whatever I'm looking for. Of course, if there is something that I can not resist, it manages to find it's way into my shopping cart!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:49 AM

i take my pieces and staple them to a piece of paper...that way they are all visible at the same time, and the paper can be folded and carried in your purse very easily...
Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Love the idea of the CD holder/photo book. I usually cut little squares and sew them together and just throw them in my purse and hope I can find them later.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 AM

I like the brag book idea.. and I too have purchased material more than once.. funny though each time was in a different color though the same pattern.. still need to get a pair of those red lens.. guess now would be the time to look.. oh, and I too used to square dance.. for many years... I must say I do miss the excercise of it...
Originally Posted by olebat
In addition to the list I posted previously, ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-87101-5.htm#2177764 ) I've added the red lens glasses for viewing tones. The problem is that I am up to 3 brag books. This dos not include the FQ's, remnants, or scraps from the old square dance clothes I plan to slice into. It has helped many times to have the swatches with me. I've seen fabric I love, and want,, check my books, only to realize I already have it. I'll lust over a lovely piece until it goes on sale, or I have a coupon, but forget that I have it, until it goes on sale again. Ah, grey matter, inside and outside of the head. Glad I started my "system".