Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to make next? >

How do you decide what to make next?

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM

I Have 13 adult kids, 13 grand kids and 5 great. They keep me busy. Graduations, holidays ect. It's a full time job. I love it.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 AM

my grown girls complain of blankets being "scratchy" so now I am going to make several quilts for the beds upstair[make them happy] they only get home now maybe 2x a year.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 AM

I have an agenda .... Some of my friends are amazed at how I can remember wht I have in my "stash".... whenever I pick out a few fat quarters one usually will ask wht are you going to do with that??? and My reply is always, you will see"
What I do and it works for me... I first pick out a pattrn I would like to do... if I have a few fats that I can see in the pattern.. then when I am out and about with the "girls" I will see something that I can feel like it ought to belong in that "kit" I have started... I don't know how I can remember what I have but I do!!... I have the projects sorted in the plastic shoebox size with the pattern in it...
So this is how I can go from one project to the next, and don't feel like I have spent lots of $$$ if I were to purchase the fabrics all at once.... plus, This gives me opportunities to look in the "sale areas!!!I do find lots of fabric there to add to the stash....
I hope this doesn't sound like I am rambling but that's how I do it...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 AM

I've been inbetween requests for quilts so decided to do one that is a someday gift for a friend. Just got another order so that will be a priority. My list is neverending too.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 AM

I am new so still working on the grown kids quilts, one down, one cut and last in planning. After that unsure, thinking I would like to do the donation quilts maybe.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Somehow I always seem to have a long list.I make baby quilts for all my great nieces and nephews, some years have done 4 , then I am trying to make a full size quilt for all for nieces, nephews and their spouses, (17), my daughter-in-law wants a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired wall-hanging, I have a mystery quilt for me to put together, block of the month from local quilt shop and a Air Force inspired quilt for a friend from church for his birthday in September! I want to make a couple of Christmas wall hangings for friends and I make my Christmas cards from fabric,(last year over 70) have to start Nov. 1 to be finished by Dec. 1 to mail. Thats my list @ this time. OH, also with my quilt group @ the senior center we are making Christmas stockings for the new babies to go home in for the month of December.
Originally Posted by craftybear

Do you have a long list of things that you want to make, list for gifts for birthday, Christmas, etc.

This should be a fun thread so we can all discuss

Let's have fun!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:08 AM

I have a white board in my sewing room and write my projects on it in the order they need to be finished. Sometimes when I check the board I see that one of my grandkids has written in a sewing or quilt project that they want me to make with them. But they are so busy with school, sports and trips that I'm having a hard time scheduling them to come sew with me.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM

I, usually, have several ideas going on. First, I do the "have to" commitment quilt(s). Then, I try to have spare quilts around for the baby or wedding. Wedding is usually a wallhanging of hearts. After all that, I would like to quilt items for the seasons. However, it doesn't seem to get done. I NEED more than 24 hours in a day!!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 AM

You are all so good to work on items that have a deadline first.Good for you!

Maybe you can inspire me to "finish" before I start something else.

I finished a couple of UFO's last year, but there always seems to be another one I want to start.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear

Do you have a long list of things that you want to make, list for gifts for birthday, Christmas, etc.

This should be a fun thread so we can all discuss

Let's have fun!
My sister has made it known several times that, now that all the neices and nephews have their quilts, she feels sad that she doesn't have one. She claims that she should have one since she is my only sister -- hint, hint. So my next one will be a small coffee themed lap quilt for her.