Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to make next? >

How do you decide what to make next?

How do you decide what to make next?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Just whatever suits my fancy for that day...have been known to stop in the middle of one quilt to do another, just because I liked the pattern Especially if a trip to the store means the "ideal" fabric jumped off the shelf and into my arms! Right now have 4 "in the works" in various stages of completion...today?? New purse pattern that I just have to try...so the quilts are on the back burner... Besides...I work better when the deadline is looming! LOL
Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 AM

I try not to do obligation quilting. My quilts don't have homes or places to be and I usually find when I'm done that they are perfect for something or someone.

I just love creating something and if I had to make something for a specific reason, for me it's no longer fun, it's a chore.

So to answer your question, I don't "decide", I just play and it's whatever strikes my fancy.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by laughingquilter
I've usually got a due date for projects I'm doing for gifts. In between the "have to's" I squeeze in the "want to's" and it's kind of a "whatever I'm in the mood for" process to choose those....
That's my answer.

This past week I had a list -

4 pairs of PJ shorts for DS #1
1 pair of PJ shorts for DS #2
Wheelchair caddy for great, great Aunt (going there tomorrow)
Cat block lap quilt for great, great Aunt (cat blocks made by 8 year old DS #2) I'm assembling and quilting.

Red, White and Blue block for my ConnectingThreads Calander Holder (need for Tuesday 7/5).

Charity quilt - need to finish by tomorrow morning so when I go to church I can turn it in and get the next preassembled "kit" (try to do one a week - they are crib sized)

When that list is done I'm going to look around and see what I have that strikes my fancy!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM

I usually work on patterns that will challenge me, like mariner's compass or paper pieced pattern.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 AM

I just read this board and there is always something I have to do next.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 AM

I always have a stack of patterns I want to make and bags of Fabric sets to use. I buy fabric go togethers then add from my stash to make up a set. My next project is one of these bags.

I give from the finished quilts that have exhibited.

Like most of you I have more ideas and more fabric than I will ever make during the of my life. I'am 65.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 AM

I work on all kinds of things at once. I really think it's the fabrics that are calling me... I was making a block, it was supposed to be 9", but I used the 2 1/2" square I used most of the time. So it ended up being 6" (I realized it before I ever finished cutting out the fabric) So I made that one, then had all these little scraps, and I just love this fabric, so before I make the 9", I think I'll make a 3". Then I'm also working on a swap, christmas presents, and have a lot of small things to quilt. So if I don't feel like doing one thing, I just move to the next, and have something in my head to do before I get past the second cut of a pattern. Obcessive Compulsive is what they call it..... :) :):) :) :P
Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Every day brings new ideas. My son just purchased a full size KitchenAid Mixer and he would like to have a cover for it and I'd like to have one for mine also. Then there is the USMC quilt for my BIL, the tutorial for the walker caddy, the candlequiter star, a gazillion purses/wallets, more wall quilts than I can count, a quilt for our king size bed and then a magazine comes with a pattern that cries out to be made. Trying to get better at FMQ so do small projects inbetween so I can practice. Not enough hours in the day.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm very much a "mood" quilter, and when I get in the mood, I just sew and sew and sew. Have lots of UFO's :-D
Old 07-02-2011, 12:30 PM

I tend to make quilts for presents. I am finishing the binding on one for my mom's birthday, July 10th. Then I'm going to start shopping for my MIL's b-day quilt in December. I made myself a top, but it has yet to be finished. Other people come first.