Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you decide what to make next? >

How do you decide what to make next?

How do you decide what to make next?

Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM

I have my family list first off - still have 7 to go there - then maybe more as time goes on - then there is the wedding gifts as they come up - and then is the friends lists if I get to them at all - at the rate I'm going - I'm lucky to get family done - but time will tell; if I can live to be 100 I might just make it!!! :)
Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Right now I'm making a strippy(?) quilt for my hubby. I have 9 kids that I have different designs in mind for. I'm trying to go oldest to youngest but I think I am already deviating from the path.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM

I have a dry-erase board (along with a cork board) on my sewing studio wall, and write projects down in priority order...just keep working on them. Funny thing, the list never seems to get any shorter :-) The good news is, I will have to live a long, long time to finish them HAHA! And, of course, once in a while something comes up that I cannot resist, and I'll do that in between "just for me"!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:44 PM

Answers
#1 - Yes I do have a list of what I would like to make next, do I always follow it? No

#2 - Yes again, just need to find the time to do it all

#3 - How do I decide? Well it depends really on what I have been working on for instance I am making a quilt at the moment and the backing is black. Very hard to see thread on black so sometimes I pick up a started project for a few days and other times I might start something new.

Maybe1day
Old 07-02-2011, 03:04 PM

I have material for several projects but always think of something else to make and end up using half the material so then I can't make the project. Right now I am working on quilts for Christmas. I am working on quilts for the grandkids first. I have one done for oldest granddaughter, just need to bind. I have one half finished, for youngest graddaughter. I am beginning to buy material for my grandson. He likes to fish with his dad so I am looking for material with a fishing theme. I have found a couple differnt fabrics but I need more. I will keep looking and then add some solids. I need a total of 12 fat quarters for the front. Then I guess I will begin somethings on my list of projects.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM

I work on projects that I am asked to do then, something that interest me. I like trying new designs.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 PM

I usually quilt in "periods". Right now I'm in a "Juvenile Panel" period. A couple of beautiful quilt angels from this site sent me several panels and my church group and I are making baby quilts from Children's Mercy Hospital, here in Kansas City.
I have been in "Star" periods; "9-Patch" periods; and "Log Cabin" periods in the recent past.
Am I the only one who has a file on my computer titled "QB Pictures for Inspiration"? Daily, I go thru all of your beautiful quilts and the ones that speak to me are copied to this file. When I'm looking for ideas for patterns, blocks, or color combinations - this is the first place I look - Thanks ladies, you're the greatest for sharing your wonderful works.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM

I usually have several going on at one time. One of these usually becomes top priority, because of a gift deadline, etc. When that one drops off my list, another (maybe just one that I have been "wanting" to do) suddenly gets on my "going list." Always, Christmas gifts and QoV seem to get in there, too.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Sometimes it's a new pattern or template that hollers at me, or the need to make a gift. I am in the planning process of a quilt for a young lady for her high school graduation in 2013. Other times it is a piece of fabric that yells at me to get it out of the closet and DO something with it.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:36 PM

For me it's when I finish one quilt I find another one to start.
There are times I get in a slump and just do hand work,but I do tend to do the handwork at night and sewing machine work during the evening's,so it all depends on my mood. :D