Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you keep strip quit piecing straight - suggestions?

Try sewing the strips with a walking foot and also from variable ends. Another thing I do is to pin the strip sets from the middle out to the ends and that stops any twisting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    When I sew stripes together, I dont start every strip at the same end, I sew 2 together, then when I add the third one, I start sewing it on on the opposite end, of where I sewed the first 2. I switch back and forth till Im done. Hope this helps.

YAY...this is the answer...AND that you really need a pressing BAR to press the seams open!

Vat
    If you will sew every other strip from the opposite end and be very careful with pressing. Also, if you will sew in pairs all from the same end, press carefully, then sew the pairs together from the opposite ends. Works for me.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the other posts about reversing your strips every other strip, and also be careful when pressing, I don't use steam because it could also stretch your strips out of shape.

Blog Entries
    what is a pressing Bar? that sounds interesting

Just what everybody else said!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    The pattern I had told me to measure frequently to prevent this from happening. I did and it turned out good. It was a "QUILT AS YOU GO" pattern.
    Linda

Well I haven't done a strip quilt but I think I just found some of my problem for a few of my quilts that come out unsquared! I am ironing instead of pressing!

Good thing I read this!
    Busy hands means busy minds means there is no time left for the devil to do his work!

Carla, please tell your friend this: My LAQ told me that it is completely normal to get between 1/4 and 1/2" of inward curve (hourglass) in the middle sections of large quilts. You can be the most exacting person and get everything accurate and it will still happen. It has something to do with the build up effect of all that piecing having less of a total effect on the corners of the quilt. She told me that almost all quilts come in with some amount of variation. Once she quilted it and I put the binding on it wasn't noticeable.

Blog Entries
    I press 95% of my seams open. Using the Steady Betty board and the wooden clapper my seams are flat and as straight as I'll ever get them.

I got the Steady Betty at Joann's online with a 50% coupon. The June Tailor clapper is not made anymore. A block of wood will work if you can't find a wooden clapper.

Got fabric?

When sewing strips together, if you sew them all with the stitch starting at the same end, it can cause a crooked area in the middle. If you sew two strip starting at the first end and then add the third row sewing from the other end, it will not curve this way. It could be pressing also.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I can't believe I'm writing this -

but 1/2 inch variation in the middle is not all that dreadful!
    That's what I was thinking!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have heard that strips should be sewn in alternating directions. That is first row from the top down, second row bottom first, third row-top down. It prevents the strips from "bowing". In other words keeps them going straight. This is especially true with batiks. Hopes this helps.

If I have a "bowed" strip caused by cutting, I cut that part out and am able to use the rest of the strip. Also, if I use say a 2 1/2" strip of Kona for my first strip I will fold it in half and finger press so it lines up exactly at each corner. Then when you trim your blocks and sew them together it will come out the same width where the kona strips come together.

found that when I am prepressing fabric before cutting , make sure the selvage edges are kept straight and together. this solved my dog leg shaped strips. good luck
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Quote Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker View Post
    found that when I am prepressing fabric before cutting , make sure the selvage edges are kept straight and together. this solved my dog leg shaped strips. good luck
    Don't mean to sound dumb, but doesn't almost everyone prepress (not iron) and starch their fabric before cutting? And make sure it's on the correct grain of the fabric? I cut almost all my strips on the lengthwise grain, after pressing and starching. (so obviously that means I prewash.)

Wow! What an education this forum is, not just for strip piecing, but for good quilting in general! It's added a whole lot of "I'm going to try this out!" to my quilting plans!

I also read somewhere, and I'll swear it was on this Quilting Board, that someone solved their problem of wonky strip piecing by foundation piecing the strips. Sounds like it could be worth trying!

Cheers!
    Last edited by MacThayer; 07-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    MacThayer

To keep my seams straight when strip piecing I alternate stitching directions when adding a new strip. Also use a piece of molefoam taped to the bed of my machine, to keep the seam allowance accurate.

Blog Entries
    I was told to reverse sewing each strip - start one strip from bottom, next strip from the top. This means start sewing your next strip at the same end where you finished the previous strip.

Also cut your strip not on the bias, cut them lengthwise and you have a more stable strip...but no give either.

Maxine
    Bakersfield, Ca

Blog Entries
    Was this before or after the top was quilted? If it's after quilting, it is not at all unusual for the quilting to draw in or shrink the quilt a bit. This is why a lot of quilters will square their quilt after it's been quilted, before putting on binding. If you have a lot of dense quilting in a medallion or applique center, that could cause an hourglass shape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2