Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you like your Janome? >

How do you like your Janome?

How do you like your Janome?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM

I have 2 Janome machines and LOVE them. I also love the price. I think for your money, they are the best deal. They come with lots of extras so you're not buying feet etc. before you can get sewing. AND, if you do want to buy an add on, they don't cost a fortune like some other brands do.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 AM

I'm a Janome fan all the way.
Have a memory craft 10001, Janome Jem, Janome Serger.

Great machines
Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 AM

My Janome is 13 years old and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have 7 sewing machines and the Janome is the one I always go to when I start sewing.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jpechlin
Hi everyone. I just wanted to see how the Janome machine owners like their machines. I have been repairing home and commercial machines since 1999 and I love the Japanese machines. Out of the home machines I have serviced, the old Viking and singer machines are built very well. But out of all the newer machines, Janome seems to have a better built machine. It also seems like many of the Bernina models are made in the same factory.
If you own a Janome... I would like to know what your opinion is of the operation and dependability. The reason I'm asking...is that we are looking at selling the 4-needle Janome as our low end commercial machine. I know they manufacture for the commercial company Melco, so it should be a good machine. But I just wanted to get a response from the members here.

Thanks.
I have had several Janome sewing machines and they have all been good machines.I have had no problems at all. My 8000 embroidery machine was the only one that died but it was second hand when I bought it from a friend, it lasted 5 years before the mother board died. I now have a brand new 6600P for 2 yeas and no problems have come up YET.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I too like my new Janome 7700 Horizon I got for Christmas. But it does not like to sew over thickness of 6 or more layers as with flying geese. I even have the new foot the company sent me. I going to contact Janome and/or send it back for adjustment.
I would use the Acufeed foot, that's why it's there for when you need to go over stuff that's real thick, evenly. Kind of like an ATV plowing through the woods. I have had luck with the newer F2 foot when going over thick stuff, but many people haven't, judging from the discussion boards I follow.
I have a 6600 and love it. I use the Acufeed a lot for piecing- I have the 1/4" one. It's great for joining strips for eg as they don't do that bendy thing. Plus I use the acufeed open applique foot for Paper Piecing. In fact I rarely sew without the acufeed! :-D Except for FMQ obviously, which this machine is fabulous for too! :-D
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 AM

I bought my Janome Quilter slightly used, but it has been great. The only frustration I have had ended up being with the thread and not the machine. I don't know anything about the electronic or commercial Janomes.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
Originally Posted by Fabricnut
I too like my new Janome 7700 Horizon I got for Christmas. But it does not like to sew over thickness of 6 or more layers as with flying geese. I even have the new foot the company sent me. I going to contact Janome and/or send it back for adjustment.
I would use the Acufeed foot, that's why it's there for when you need to go over stuff that's real thick, evenly. Kind of like an ATV plowing through the woods. I have had luck with the newer F2 foot when going over thick stuff, but many people haven't, judging from the discussion boards I follow.
I've been reading this topic with interest because I don't think I'm in love with my Janome 6600P, which is just over 1 year old. One of the problems I have is that it doesn't like sewing over a lot of thicknesses (I make Vera Bradley-style quilted handbags, and there really are a lot of layers). In face, I find the regular foot does a better job than the Acufeed foot for thick stuff. Even so, I have not resolved the skipping stitches issue.

It even skips stitches on certain other normal-thickness quilts (straight line quilting using the Acufeed)...but not consistently enough to get a solution. It has been back to the shop, but still gives me problems. "The shop" is really only interested in selling me another machine (additional, not replacement).

I also have problems with thread shredding.

I maintain it meticulously and am pretty sure some of you might have suggestions, which might help but not likely. I search for solutions on the Yahoo Janome 6600 group. I've used both the "red" and "blue" bobbin holders, lots and lots of needles, both straight and standard switch plate. The tension is okay, even when FMQing. Many different brands of quality thread. The strange thing is that I can get about 3/4 of the way through a project and then it starts acting up, for no apparent reason.

Sorry this is long, but I'm pretty frustrated because for the money I had expected to love love love the machine.

On another note, what is a 4-needle machine?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by chrisqlt
I do have trouble with the thread slipping out of the take up lever and I really hate that as sometimes it will happen often then it doesn't do it for awhile.
This is a known problem but you can resolve it by passing the thread up to the left, around the top, and then down on the right (so the thread criss-crosses below the take-up lever). Sounds strange, but worth trying.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:09 PM

I have two, one is 15 plus yrs old and never been in the shop. The other one is about 10 years old and ,likewise, never been in the shop. Love Janome!