Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps? >

How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps?

How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
You ladies have convinced me I should be saving my scrapes. I am a die hard I just didn't want all those scraps, its not like I am going to live long enough to do all my projects I have saved anyway so why do I need to save scraps...well you have convinced me for a couple different reasons. But my biggie question is how do you store them and please don't tell me you just toss them in one storage tote, I am to anal for that...lol.
Scrappies so often depend on value instead of color- just sort them into two or three containers, light and dark, medium as well if you want. But goodness, don't throw them- I'll take them if you don't want them! :D
Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM

All materials gathered for a specific project are kept neatly stacked, and with all supplies for the project, in a small dresser. All stash is kept by color in a lowboy dresser in my hallway.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Originally Posted by craftiladi
You ladies have convinced me I should be saving my scrapes. I am a die hard I just didn't want all those scraps, its not like I am going to live long enough to do all my projects I have saved anyway so why do I need to save scraps...well you have convinced me for a couple different reasons. But my biggie question is how do you store them and please don't tell me you just toss them in one storage tote, I am to anal for that...lol.
Scrappies so often depend on value instead of color- just sort them into two or three containers, light and dark, medium as well if you want. But goodness, don't throw them- I'll take them if you don't want them! :D
Thats probably what will end up happening w/ them cause I lose my patience's saving them. I am pretty frugal in my sewing I don't tend to have alot of scraps but I will give it a shot again.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM

I am looking to get shelves for my sewing room and the ones you have would be just perfect ....Would like to know where you purchased them.....Any info would be appreciated......honeybea
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM

I have a dresser full of fabric and all my projects are in a 2 gallon bag in 1 drawer. my scraps are stuffed into a smaller drawer in my desk. Most things are not organized. It's a big task and I give up half way thru the process...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Organized????? We're supposed to be ORGANIZED???? oh boy...I'm in trouble!!

;) :lol:
Charlee...I totally agree with you!! crafty_linda_b
Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

and it helps if you have a notebook with projects that are: started, wanna dos, have fabric for, patterns or just to keep track of what you did.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM

Giggles.... sounds like me (if I had that much) hehe

For now, I have some in the baskets that is in the shelf unit in the living room, some in the plastic storage cabinet thing (the ones you can get from Walmart, bit smaller than a filing cabinet), and the rest is in the boys room (their room on the weekend, mine during the week)
We have them only on the weekends, so I took over a corner of their room, and have a table there, that has my cutting mat and sewing machine, notions, and fabric plus cuttings scattered over the table, and one of the beds.

I need a sewing room... someday I will HAVE a sewing room. So far I am enjoying sewing more than I thought I would. The only downside, is it is not a very comfortable spot to work at, so do not do it as much as I would like.

Meanwhile, I read threads such as this to get better ideas for organizing my small area :)

Originally Posted by Greenheron
It's rather complicated. The trash bag full of plaid factory cut outs is on the closed-in porch. The boxes of my late mother's stash cover the guest bed. The box of my oldest cotton scraps is in the closet. Blue jeans waiting to be ripped are on the upstairs bannister. Jeans fabric ready to cut is in a boot box on the floor. The quilt I'm working on made from thrift store star squares is on the coffee table and the top for my DS &DIL is folded over the back of a dining room chair. Ripped, washed and pressed recycled woolens are in color rolls in totes. Wool clothing waiting for same are piled in the middle of the guest room floor. Various cottons are on the dresser and two boxes of rescued patches and pieces are on an end table. Quilt top WIP for a dear friend is on the bedroom sewing machine. The pile of new old fabrics just in from the thrift store is on the clothes dryer awaiting the washer. The collection for the I-Spy is in a bag on the door knob of that closed porch. Everything else is.......oh, don't ask.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM

LOL I did that tonight, went in to work on the rag quilt... and lo and behold I ended up making... um not quite sure what it is LOL
I guess it is sort of a coaster... was just trying out using the machine for quilting... I ended up with not very good results... I don't expect it to be good quite yet, but this was just sad hehe... anywho.. yeah, I have fabric everywhere, and did not even work on the thing I went in there to work on.

*sigh*

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
Originally Posted by Charlee
Organized????? We're supposed to be ORGANIZED???? oh boy...I'm in trouble!!

;) :lol:
Me too! I start out organized, but by the time I get ready to sew, fabric is everywhere, and I'm working on another project than the one I started out with!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM

You can get clear storage boxes at Everything's a Dollar or It's a Deal for a $1.00. Love them! :P