Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps? >

How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps?

How do you organize your projects, stash and scraps?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM

I have a space that is approximately 10'x12'. It is one end of our bedroom. I have two large cabinets that are stuffed full of fabric, a smaller cabinet, two plastic drawer organizers, several plastic bins and assorted boxes all with fabric and sewing materials in them. I usually keep my "PIGS", projects in grocery sacks, layered on my cutting table, which I have to clear off if I need to use it or just shove them to one side and use part of the table. Oh I forgot the three totes in the basement with fabric in them. I guess that I need to take quite a few days to get everything so that it is better organized. LOL It may take me weeks. I think this will be my New Years resolution. wish me luck.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM

I just read earlier this week on our quilting board topic on organizing a sewing room and have decided to try organizing once again. At this point, I am in three rooms as a result of an "organize" PROJECT last year and was EXHAUSTED and GAVE UP. Now I can't find anything.

I wanted to do the red embroidery Christmas sew along; I have traced the patterns and spent two days looking for my small hoop. Finally found it this afternoon. Where? attached to an embroidery baby quilt I had started and must have LEFT in one of the three rooms. I HATE not being in CONTROL of where things are. It DRIVES me INSANE! LOL also.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Scraps I don't have organized. I don't really have any room for scraps and fqs. For projects I got some plastic storage boxes with lids and everything for that project goes inside. I have some smaller ones and some larger ones for different size projects. Then they go in my closet til I can get to them.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Under my work table, I have three paper grocery bags. With a wide sharpie, I wrote dark, medium, and light on one of the bags. When I'm cutting fabric, the scraps go into one of the bags.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by She In PA
I love your reply!!!

Originally Posted by Greenheron
It's rather complicated. The trash bag full of plaid factory cut outs is on the closed-in porch. The boxes of my late mother's stash cover the guest bed. The box of my oldest cotton scraps is in the closet. Blue jeans waiting to be ripped are on the upstairs bannister. Jeans fabric ready to cut is in a boot box on the floor. The quilt I'm working on made from thrift store star squares is on the coffee table and the top for my DS &DIL is folded over the back of a dining room chair. Ripped, washed and pressed recycled woolens are in color rolls in totes. Wool clothing waiting for same are piled in the middle of the guest room floor. Various cottons are on the dresser and two boxes of rescued patches and pieces are on an end table. Quilt top WIP for a dear friend is on the bedroom sewing machine. The pile of new old fabrics just in from the thrift store is on the clothes dryer awaiting the washer. The collection for the I-Spy is in a bag on the door knob of that closed porch. Everything else is.......oh, don't ask.
Love it! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Clear storage boxes work best for me.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
It's rather complicated. The trash bag full of plaid factory cut outs is on the closed-in porch. The boxes of my late mother's stash cover the guest bed. The box of my oldest cotton scraps is in the closet. Blue jeans waiting to be ripped are on the upstairs bannister. Jeans fabric ready to cut is in a boot box on the floor. The quilt I'm working on made from thrift store star squares is on the coffee table and the top for my DS &DIL is folded over the back of a dining room chair. Ripped, washed and pressed recycled woolens are in color rolls in totes. Wool clothing waiting for same are piled in the middle of the guest room floor. Various cottons are on the dresser and two boxes of rescued patches and pieces are on an end table. Quilt top WIP for a dear friend is on the bedroom sewing machine. The pile of new old fabrics just in from the thrift store is on the clothes dryer awaiting the washer. The collection for the I-Spy is in a bag on the door knob of that closed porch. Everything else is.......oh, don't ask.
This is so funny - just sitting here imagining all of it! Thanks for a great reply!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Please send your brother and cousin my way!!! I need HELP :)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Hi!
I have heard of 2 products. One is a 2 and 1/2 gallon baggie. It is supposed to hold one quilt project. I picked up some large totes at Dollar General to hold material in. Don't get them too large that you can't lift them like I did. Then you could store them on top of each other in that little closet. Good luck!
Shayvian
Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 PM

GreenHeron -
(((hugs))) Love your wit and your bird and would love to move a pile of stash off one of your kitchen chairs for a cup of tea and some birdwatching - plastic boxes from Walmart are fine, but your system...PRICELESS!