Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Rate Your Color Sense? >

How Do You Rate Your Color Sense?

How Do You Rate Your Color Sense?

Old 12-18-2014, 05:00 AM

I take my friend with me if it is important to have good color sense. She has a good eye.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:46 AM

I'm so-so when it comes to color. I want my quilts to be different from everyone else's so I seldom use the fabrics given in a pattern. I choose fabrics I like (or recipient's favorites) and then ask DD's opinion. She has a great sense of what works. I sometimes have a problem with values.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am pretty confident in my sense of color and selecting fabrics. But much LESS confident in my ability to piece and quilt it!!!
I am the opposite.......
Old 12-18-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I am pretty confident in my sense of color and selecting fabrics. But much LESS confident in my ability to piece and quilt it!!!
same here. lol
Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM

I am blessed in that I have a wonderful color sense. Sometimes I think it's too much because I see other people's color choices in clothes and I cringe. I just know that not everyone has the same blessings.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 AM
pal

Putting fabrics together is my very favorite part of quilting. Many times I just collect the fabrics and don't do anything with them! The other day I made the mistake of commenting on a crocheted item - the person who made the item stated that they use whatever yarn they have. I said that I wouldn't do that - and was told that I did it all the time with my quilting, mixing whatever I had.

Some people don't have a clue........
Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM

I'm somewhat color challenged and it takes me along time to get the colors to play nice with each other. My DH, on the other hand, can look at the fabrics and make selections that go together perfectly. So when I start a new project I grab every fabric I think will work and then start laying them out. I also rely on the choices made by the designer of the pattern, while I may change the shades; but if a professional did it I'm pretty confident in using their choices. The one thing I wish I could do is break away from my conservative nature and go for brighter colors. Ah well, as long as my friends and family are happy with their gifts then I must be doing something right.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 AM

I love color and have always loved working with it. As a artist and interior designer and decorator I first started studying colors matching and blending at a young age and it just comes natural now to know what will and will not work for me. When I make a quilt for someone I try to go with colors that will go well in the room they will be using it in. Most of my quilts I just make and enjoy the process and only care if I am pleased with it.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I'm kind of "into" the matchy thing, so I think my quilts are pretty successful color-wise. I get into trouble when I start mixing scrappy, odd colors together.
I am confident in my color choices, but scrappy is not ever going to work for me. The best I can manage in "scrappy" is to use all one color family randomly used. I just can't sew a fabric to another piece that doesn't 'work'. I love the look of all of your "scrappies". Doggramma- you are not alone in this....lol!
Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 AM

I'm known in the guild as the two color quilter. I thought I knew what colors would look good together until the instructor started talking about color value. Maybe if she had said light, medium, and dark I would have gotten the hang of colors. We were making blocks with sashing and corner stones. Well, needless to say my corner stones are material with stones in it. I've progressed to more colors in my quilts, but only if I take my artist friend to shop with me. LOL