Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you respond to ...... >

How do you respond to ......

How do you respond to ......

Old 08-13-2009, 12:55 PM

I use Facebook and started a group for my quilted items. When people ask about me making something for them I direct them to take a look there at the photos and pick out something "You like in your price range". The pictures all have prices under them!

I have had few orders but mostly people just smile and say "Your work is gorgeous."
Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM

How about, "I'd love to, if you would want to pay what I would want to do it." If they say yes, what would you charge? you can always quote the price you would do it for (if you want to do it), or a price so high, they are bound to say no thanks.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Ive never really had anyone interested in me making a quilt for them. Could be a few reasons for that one being that not alot of people know that i do this in my life. However i do plan to make one for my grandma soon as i can and obviously cost is not a factor in that one its for her afterall. The rest of the time i have so many idea's of my own for making art quilts and such that i wouldnt even consider the idea of making one for someone else at this time. Chris
Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

I say: "You have to get in line, and I must warn you - the line is about two lifetimes long at the moment."

Interestingly enough, I gauge my relationships by "quiltability." If I remove someone off the quilt list, I know I'm DONE with them.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM

My friends and relatives would never point blank ask me to make something for them. I've received lots of hints over the years, which I choose to act on or ignore. The people who do not fall into either category ... friends or relatives ... would definitely be "whistling in the wind" and generally do not even bother hinting, much less asking. I have had a lot of people ask for specific sewing advice, which I DO share willingly.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM

Quilting is my hobby, period. I love to sew beautiful quilts for myself and the family and friends that I love. Everyone who knows me knows that this is my passion and is close enough to me to appreciate the expense and work that goes into one of my quilts. I don't think I could ever "sew one for out". My quilts have to have a comfy home with people who are close to me or have value in my life. I guess I am an emotional quilter. The "Unknown Soldier" quilt (my name) that I am working on now is a charity quilt and that is an exception. But I wonder about this boy as I work on it. Where he is from and how severe his injuries. If he has family and friends who care about him. I will attach a label expressing my appreciation of his sacrifice. It just seems so insufficient. I like to think of him valuing and appreciating his gift, but even if he doesn't understand the money, the time, the effort, the most important thing to me is that I did my very good work for this unknown boy.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM

The "Unknown Soldier" quilt (my name) that I am working on now is a charity quilt

CindyBee, I would like to know more about this. Is there a website? Are there specific parameters? I think this is something I would be interested in doing. My father was a WWII and Vietnam vet, and servicemen and their families have a special place in my heart.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
The "Unknown Soldier" quilt (my name) that I am working on now is a charity quilt .
Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Zoe

I have also had this problem with a close friend who wanted me to make her a quilt. Not being a quilter herself, she was making all the classic mistakes, i.e., choosing intricate blocks of a huge size. She wanted twenty-four of these huge blocks, and on and on. Also wanted me to hand quilt it for her. I finally said that I did not have the time to do such a huge project and that I could recommend some quilters who charge to do such work. My friend commented that "she would never pay for this." That comment ended any more conversations about me doing work for free. The irony of all this is that I have given so many quilts and quilted wall hangings away that it was discouraging to think that there are some who have so little regard for the quilting art itself. It opened my eyes and I realized that there are those who put no value on your time and your creativity.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sew_lulu
a question from friends or rather acquaintance who are asking for a quilt?

I've been making for my friends and family since I started quilting but at the rate I'm going, I don't hink I'll be able to make one for everyone I know.

I'm just feeling obligated to make one just b/c I'm asked. What would you do?
I would tell the person asking the truth, "I'd love to make you a quilt, but I just don't have the time."