Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you respond to ...... >

How do you respond to ......

How do you respond to ......

Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

I usually get too tickled to answer....as in " :lol: :lol: :lol: You want what????..You've got to be kidding me!" They usually don't know what to say to that! Although I do make lots and give them away because I don't have a large family. I give to Project Linus kids and then I give them to people that I know who don't ask for them, yet I think they will appreciate them. :wink:
Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Maribeth
I don't feel obligated at all. In fact, I find it kind of annoying when people see the bags or quilt tops I have made and ask if/when I could make one for then, expecting that it will be free, and when I mention that materials and my time cost, some have actually said they wouldn't expect me to charge them. Now I am always speechless, even though it has happened several times. So, when I recover I just repeat that this is an expensive and time consuming hobby of mine and I can't support them as well, but I could let them know my prices and they can decide for themselves. IMHO, they don't seem to understand the work involved, as well as the money, and they probably wouldn't even appreciate it so don't let it bother you. :D
Very well said!! thx
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 AM

I like to surprise people with quilts, not make them out of obligation. I let them know that maybe one day I will surprise them!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 AM

I usually tell people that I have about five projects that are going on PLUS a family to raise and a full-time job; and feel that I have little time to make quilts for myself as it is, let alone quilts for other folks.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 AM

I always say, "I would probably be willing to sell this one to you for $5000, but not less. It is worth that."

That normally shuts them up.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

The other response that seems to work - I won't make one for you, but i can give you info about classes so you can make your own.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:52 PM
pal

I just say "thanks for asking, but no way! It's not enjoyable to make one for someone else because then I'd have to be really careful."

That's how I truly feel, so that's what I say.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

If it were me I would ask the person if they are willing to pay for your time, expertise, and material. That may quell many of the requests.

My mother used to get very angry at people who thought she should sell her crocheted things for a song.

I have sold a couple to friends. I would send pictures to a friend in Virginia, and once she said " I will have to buy one from you someday". I made her a nice lap quilt and told her my price. $340.00. I cut it down a bit for her. She thought it was a bargain, and could not send the money fast enough. This is not something I would want to do all the time though. As someone earlier said. Once you are getting paid for it, then it becomes work.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM

I make quilts for friends and family. But I don't like to be expected to do it------it takes all the enjoyment out of it. Sometimes a family member will ask me to make a quilt for a baby/newlyweds etc. This makes me feel pressured. So I say something like this-----"I just make quilts for my own pleasure. It might be 2 or 3 or even 4 years before I'd get it done." This usually takes the pressure off. To be honest, I usually end up doing the quilt but in my own good time. Most times the baby is at least a year old or the wedded couple are celebrating a 1st. or 2nd.(cotton is the traditional 2nd ann. gift) anniversary.

ranger
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 AM

My favorite response is "I'd love to help you make one. I know you can do it and it would be so much fun." No one has accepted the offer.