Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store/display your stash >

How do you store/display your stash

How do you store/display your stash

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 AM

We are not really supposed to display our stash are we??? Mine is in plastic bins, boxes, piles, plastic bags, heaps etc.......
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 AM

My few pieces are on open shelves. After dusting the rest of th room a few minutes ago, I'm thinking the glass doors would be great. In fact I was at a thrift store last week that had a Chain cabinet with glass doors for $35. Think I'll buy it if it is still there. then move this shelf into another room.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:35 AM

I have an old chest dresser and each drawer is full. I do not stack them like i would clothes but I stand them on end like files so I can see the colors. Keeps the dust and light out and I can just pull out a drawer to see what is there.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 AM

I have 2 big cabinets that I bought at Ames 14 years ago. The store has been out of business for about 10 years. The cabinet is sized bigger than the cabinets you buy at Walmart or Target. I leave the doors on to keep the sun off, (I have a big window), & to keep the dust off. We have our AC on all the time, & you would not believe the amount of dust that generates. I was able to dedicate 2 cabinets for my fabric stash. Good luck with your sewing room.

debra
Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 AM

open shelves and shelves w/ doors stacked by color and type (Asian, African, batik,etc.) I'm in a lower level so light isn't a real issue. but on that subject, I have started moving quilts I have on the walls since I discovered one piece that I didn't even think was getting much light had fade patterns starting to show :shock:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM

I have mine in clear plastic tubs like rubber maid. There are some squares that I have left over, I put in plastic bags and put them into the containers too. These containers are then stored in my spare room closet
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM

I have my stash in glass-doored bookshelves from IKEA. Beware of glass doors. I don't have any windows (it's in the basement) but I do have florescent lights and have recently found fade marks along the folds of some of the fabric. I plan to make curtain inserts or add some opaque contact paper to the glass to keep the fabric from fading.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks for asking this question. Everyone has such good tips on how they keep there fabric. I'm going to use a few of them myself.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM

I store mine on book shelves. I tried putting the fabric in a closet but the shelves were really deep so the fabric was one stack in front of the other. I hated that as I could not see my colors. So I am back to my book shelves and every happy with them. I have 4 high book shelves and than a cupboard with doors on it where I have my Christmas fabric and my flannels.

I always wanted a set of cabinets with drawers but I am not sure that would work now. Cabinets with glass doors would be really nice. But not necessary for the expenses.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM

I have my stash on an open faced shelv ing unit. To keep the fabric away from sun damage, I've hung a dark, heavy bed sheet in the front of the unit.