Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you store your stash?

Quote Originally Posted by RevPam
    In my parsonage (my family still lives at home, so this is my domain for a good portion of the week)the dining room has floor to ceiling built-in china cupboards. Alas, these are full of fabric sorted by color group. Two of the drawers are full of fat quarters. I have seven totes of folded fabric (remember, I am the 'Remnant Queen') I have a large round folding table set up on gallon paint cans for cutting surface. In the closet there is 6 large shopping bags full of scraps (for our baby/child quilt ministry). Who needs a dining room anyway??
    Look at it this way, at least you are using good space, a dining room..what could be better...very few people I know actually use their formal dining rooms, except maybe at Christmas. The rest of the time they sit there looking formal and untouchable.

Blog Entries
    The good thing about using a walk-in closet is that the sun does not get in and neither do my cats. I can see at a glance most of my yardage and all of my boxes are labeled.
    I used to have 2 dressers in there to hold the fabrics.
    And I did have to downsize a bit when we put it together.
    It was difficult at first but in the end I passed on stuff that I was either no longer interested in or was not going to finish anyway.

I have a bureau--one drawer is all yellows, another for blues, one is all batiks, the other is hand-dyed fabrics and the bottom is for all the stabilizers. Then I have a bookcase with all shelves full of fabric sorted by color. I also have big tubs where I have my collection of fabrics with gold threads, then on my cutting table, on shelves made with glass bricks, I have see thru shoe boxes with the smaller (1/2yds.) pieces. I won't say what all is in the garage, but there are two plastic Iris carts. . .

Blog Entries
    i am the same way ,i can have it all organized and then i start a project and it blow up , :?

I store mine in plastic totes on shelves. Also some on bolts that I stand up on shelves

I have mine in many large Rubbermaid totes. I wish I went with clear, since I always need to dump to find a fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I am putting all of my fabrics longer than two yards on to coroplast boards and putting them in bookcases.

I got the coroplast boards on ebay. I think the seller is a board member.
    When I shop for fabric, one of the first things I do is look for fabric that is down to the last bit of yardage and if it is a color/design I know I can use, I buy it and ask to keep the cardboard the fabric is wrapped around and 90% of the time they give it to me. I also mention I'd be happy to take any of the fabric cardboard they have waiting to be recycled, and if they have some they let me take them as well. I figure, it can't hurt to ask...

Someone suggested (maybe here) that a DVD case was good. I just happened to have an extra one. It's the perfect size for the fat quarters. There are plenty of shelves that you can easily adjust too. When I get around to it I will probably add a simple fabric front to keep out the dust.

My husband installed wire baskets in the closet of my sewing room. They are stacked and on runners, you just pull them out as needed. Or they can be removed. I like them because the fabric can breath, you can see the fabric at a glance. I have my fabric sorted according to color. They were purchased from Lowe's, inexpensive and easy to install. And it helps me keep my stash under control. When my baskets get full I get quilting. Until I use up fabric I don't have room to store more. :thumbup:

I keep mine in the inexpensive bookshelves so I can see what I have. Also, we shop at Sam's club and buy those big salads that come in a plastic shoe box type containers. I store my FQ in those. I have a big bin of strips and little scraps for those that I will use some day to make a strip quilt. I also store my NICKELS in those plastic shoe box containers... good luck organizing.. would love to hear what you do...

I store mine in rubber maid tubs, and some in a drawer.

...and you have some cloths in there too. :-) I keep mine in tubs, and two 6ft tall book shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinabodina
    ...and you have some cloths in there too. :-) I keep mine in tubs, and two 6ft tall book shelves.
    No, no clothes, just fabric

My sewing room looked like this for about 10 minutes a few years ago. As soon as my first new project began after getting it organized, it started turning into the complete
    disaster that it still is today! I can have a neat space or a working space--not both :)) rusty

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...59435252IQWtbH

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Mine are in totes that are not too deep and it's been working ok.

I am in the 'thinking' part of rearranging my sewing area and I'm gathering ideas.
    Same here. I do have a closet that I have other smaller clear storage for tools and what not, some fabric on bolts and some cut pieces.

Blog Entries
    Same here. Mine is in 18 tubs in the basement, one tub in the living room, a plastyic drawer organizer, and on a guest room bed and under my cutting table. It's easier to run to the quilt store to buy something then go through all that. But with a small house and no real sewing room, I don't have much choice.

I started out (about 20 years ago) with my stash in a four-drawer plastic thingy. Now I'm up to five loooong shelves and you can NEVER have too much fabric. However, I have just been reorganizing to these new shelves my DH put up for me and I did see some fabric that I have no idea why I bought it...

getting tired of digging through totes to find fabric-ususally just go out and buy new. sooo i am folding and rolling and ironing and resorting all of my stash. will post pictures if i ever get it finished. LOL

Blog Entries
    All over the place and completely disorganized.

I think shop owners have the best idea: their stash is always visible, helpers keep it tidy, buyers keep it always changing and they have a good excuse for having too much. Who could ask for a better deal!

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    I just finished folding and wrapping all of my fabric and fat quarters on coroplast boards (see tutorial by Alaskasunshine -- she's my hero). Then I stacked them on the bed in the guest bedroom. I can't figure out what to do with them now. So, I'm in the same situation as half the quilters on this board!

My smallish stash was outgrowing the 3-drawer plastic cabinet on wheels. I decided to roll each piece, secure each with a rubber band, and store them by color. This gave me lots more room and a way to find easily what I'm looking for.

I keep the bulk of my fabric in clear totes and finely got them organized by color and fabric type and a general list of the fabric of what is in it, I have 25 big totes. I have this white cabnet that is 6 ft high, by 24 inch wide and side depth is 12 inches. In stead of digging thru the big bins all the time I take out the fabric from the big bins and use smaller plastic containers and make a kit of all the fabric and things I will need for my quilting projects. I keep my quilting books and patterns on the bottom shelf and got 2 of those crates with the drawers from Michaels to put my sewing notions, scissors, thread, rulers...etc. I am finely organized and it feels good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rustqlts
    My sewing room looked like this for about 10 minutes a few years ago. As soon as my first new project began after getting it organized, it started turning into the complete
    disaster that it still is today! I can have a neat space or a working space--not both :)) rusty

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...59435252IQWtbH
    Thanks for sharing the pics but living in that enviroment would drive me insane...yes a anal organized nut who not only has to have it organized it also has to look nice/pretty. Besides what you see in the pics I also have 4 lg red totes stored behind the front dr w/ stuffing/batting/yarn stored.

Assorted fabrics in the cabinet [mostly non cottons]
    Name:  Attachment-73526.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  46.9 KB

the totes are for fabrics for future projects
    Name:  Attachment-73528.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  73.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am ROTFLMAO - I live in a motor home and you would not believe where I have found to store my stash. I would tell you, but my husband may accidently read this!

I wish I could organize my stash, right now I use big bins for whites and off white and one for floral's etc.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast