Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your stash?

I have a closet 10ft long all set out with top to bottom shelves , all pinks together reds etc, easy to find , some stored in tubs , and lots of other places around the house , even have it stored under mattress in the guestroom ,makes the bed a little uncomfortable but then they dont stay long , having guest cuts into my sewing time .... Happy SEWING

Quote Originally Posted by taj334
    Someone suggested (maybe here) that a DVD case was good. I just happened to have an extra one. It's the perfect size for the fat quarters. There are plenty of shelves that you can easily adjust too. When I get around to it I will probably add a simple fabric front to keep out the dust.

That is a great idea for fat quarters.....with 2 kids who have just moved out of the house....I know I have some dvd shelving around here somewhere. I have an old, beautiful chest, carved with horses that I keep my larger (3+yards) in. Others are stacked on shelves and some area stacked in clear tubs under my 8ft table. I'm already running out of room and love the idea of putting yardage on the corragated thingy's. I have some old chest of drawers which belonged to my grandmother that I'm thinking of bringing into my "quilting studio". I have visions of haphazardly letting pieces of fabric hang out of them. Wouldn't that look cool??

Oh my gosh, I have stash envy.

I want Joannie2's closet!!!!!

Love this site , I just brought my husband in here to see some of the pictures , just to show him I am not the only only one in the world, he thinks it is a disease that is taking over the world ...........thanks other stash builders you have taken the pressure off me a little .

Power Poster
    I have a couple of long retangular clear plastic bins under my quilting table. Some in 2 four shelf 2 door cabinets and some in clear plastic bins in a closet stacked from the floor up and some on my chaise lounge and some in my carry bag. Wow I have a lot of fabric even though I have seen quilting rooms on this board that have much more than I do and very, very organized.

Mine is still boxed away from move last year. Not sure what I will do with it. Cloths closet no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I am putting all of my fabrics longer than two yards on to coroplast boards and putting them in bookcases.

I got the coroplast boards on ebay. I think the seller is a board member.
    I'm so glad you brought this up. This topic came up awhile back & somebody suggested using cake boards found in the cake decorators' dept. I bought some. Cut them in half & started wrapping my fabrics on them. I layer similar colors on one board. I use sm. clips or pins to hold them on. Pins are not the best but all I had at the time. There were some pricey gadgets meant for this but a bit pricey.
    I love how organized these boards keep things. Of course they don't touch the amt of stash I have but any little bit of organization helps.

You're going to have to live another 150 yrs. to use all of that. And I thought I had a lot of stash.

I wonder if I can talk my husband into this? I love it! He already vetoed moving out of the master bedroom for my quilting machine, I doubt I'll ever get a dream closet like this :0( You are one lucky lady!

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie2
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I found out that you CAN have too much fabric in your stash! I store my stash in sweater organizers that hang from the bar in my closet. The bar is part of a wire shelf. We returned from vacation to find that the entire shelf had ripped out of the wall! Fortunately the shelf above had mostly empty boxes on it! The only machine that fell was my embellisher and it seems okay. (Maybe it was the tiny Maryland earthquake that happened while we were gone and not just the weight of my stash). Anyway, I need to redo my closet and am looking for suggestions.
    My son re-vamped my walk-in closet to hold all of my fabrics, etc. Here are some photos. Notice the small space where my clothes hang. I know what's more important -- fabric!

I store mine on bookshelves and in storage tubs. I, too, like the see through tubs because it's easier to know which one to dig through when looking for something specific. I also have the outsides labeled like holiday, etc.

P.S. You can never have too much fabric, that's why we buy more!

Quote Originally Posted by shirleysonshine
    I have the large plastic drawers stacked. 3 of them, about 10 roll carts for supplies, and shoe boxes for pre-cut shapes. Then in the closet I have shelves half way up the way on one side for fabrics, and a bookcase (tall) at the end of the closet full of fabrics that are NOT for quilting. My goal is to have it in clear boxes on the shelves.
    I thought I was the only one with a tv next to my machine?!! I use the dvd player to play books on cd while sewing too.

Quote Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    I have been fortunate. I caught a sale of unfinished "jelly" cupboards and they were the double doors and when open you have a total of 5 shelves counting the bottom. Les finished them for me in black. Using a measurement of my length, I found I could place 5 - 6" wide fabrics in there. So I use my 6" x 24 "long ruler and starting about 4" in from the edge of the fabric, leave it folded, I would then fold the fabric with the ruler as the cardboard. Once it was folded I would tuck the end in, slip out the ruler, fold the fabric in half and it fits perfectly with the fold side out in the pantry. I had a tall utilitary cubboard and that two would hold the 6" folds except only like 3.. but that's what I use with baskets for my fat quarters, misc. large scrap pieces and by laying the fabic length wise, I have my 108" backing fabric on the bottom shelve,. Prior to finding these wonderful containers, I had caught a sale at Target and I love wicker (pretend of course) and I purchased two dressers with 4 drawers in each and I also got one that was tall and narrow that had 6 smaller drawers. Again, I had a lot of miscelleious notions, etc. and now I had a place for them. I used wicker baskets on tops of things to catch templates, spare pieces that are not really something I have to have but don't want to throw away. with the two machines I also have storage under the open trap door that would normally hide the machine. I leave it open but use a cover for the machines. So I can put those 3 drawers clear plastic bins in there. Under my cutting table made from a 6' banquet table with bed risers, I have all my batting and muslin in containers that I can see in. If I have started collecting fabric for a pattern from a quilt magazine, I use plastic seal bags to place the fabrics and the magazine in. And I still have a mess half the time. Do I have way more then I need? YEP! But when there is a need, then I can pull what I want to share and make sure it gets to the correct guild, etc. for what they are collecting for. I cannot make quilts quick as fast as many others, but for what it's worth I'm pretty content with what I have and what I can accomplish when my body lets me. But if I may add, once again, you can save a fair bit of money by using the ruler method of folding and storing fabrics. Just take the inside witgh of the shelve and see what it can be divided by and then the depth and you can come up with some pretty neat ideas on putting your fabrics away. So far the only really big problem i have encounterd and I am hoping to come up with a solution and that's my embroidery threads. I use the Isacord, and when my lqs closed out, while women were grabbing the fabrics for a fantastic price, I went straight for the embroidery threads and the Aurifil. Made out like a bandit and now have the website that sells both at rock bottom pricing. I use the storage boxes which holds up 30 spills of Isacord but my grand daughter needs to come over so we can revise it. I am now redoing it and leaving blanks for the threads I do not have so if an when I decide to order more I know which ones I need. Sorry.. the dogs only listen to me when I say "treat?". hum Les is the same way.... oh well, hopefully I have you all... hopefully..
    I use the clear plastic matchbox car boxes to store my threads. Walmart carries them, sometimes only close to xmas, and I've seen them at other stores too. They only cost $5 or 6 and work just as well as the expensive thread boxes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyB
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I found out that you CAN have too much fabric in your stash! I store my stash in sweater organizers that hang from the bar in my closet. The bar is part of a wire shelf. We returned from vacation to find that the entire shelf had ripped out of the wall! Fortunately the shelf above had mostly empty boxes on it! The only machine that fell was my embellisher and it seems okay. (Maybe it was the tiny Maryland earthquake that happened while we were gone and not just the weight of my stash). Anyway, I need to redo my closet and am looking for suggestions.
    I just have to tell you about my storage space. We had an outdoor swimming pool built in 1984. Sometime in the 90's
    my husband decided to enclose it and attached it to the house. In the last few years it was used about 3 times. He decided to fill it in and make me a big quilting room. At first I said no, but the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. Here are a few pictures, as you can see you cannot keep your workspace neat if you are using it lol, at least I can't. I didnt take a picture of my cutting table because it is really cluttered, and by the way it use to be a hot tub. The hottub cover is wooden with a vinyl cover. I have a 56 inch cutting board on it.

Whats scary is Im straining my eyes to eyeball YOUR stash and admiring some of the fabrics saying " Hmm i wonder where she got that from".

Im in a one bedroom tiny place, kaka. I have a clear plastic "dresser" on wheels. That has all only yard pieces by the color wheel. I used to be an artist so i think that way. The bigger pieces are in a huge tall cabinet and other dresser drawers. I also have the sweater hanging thingy lol for the closet with fabric in it. When i have a project in mind ( remember i have YET to finish a quilt ) i buy smaller tubs with handles and put all the fabric and directions in the tub so i "remember" what the heck i bought that fabric for. So i keep the whole project together. Some cut fabric is in plastic 2 gallon zip lock bags. Ha Ha NO u dont wanna see how ive managed to hide all the fabric in this 600sq ft place. I dont have a sewing table either so i got a 6ft foldable table. My breakfast bar is my ironing station. And well the threads are from here to there and everywhere in between. Dont ask how i cut my fabric you would be shocked lol.
    :thumbup:

There are some fabric stores that trash their empty bolt boards. Ask them about it they may have a stack waiting for the dumpster and would let you have some of them. Buying the end of the bolt??? keep the bolt.

for years I have been storing my fabric in 16 qt plastic boxes, sorted by color...Well with the redo of my sewing room, I had boxes up to the ceiling. I installed 3 sheving units above my counter top and am now folding my fabric on foam board (5"x14")and storing on the shelves. So far it seems to be working better. I put all of my chirstmas fabric in one area. I just have to stop buying fabric....I am begging to think I have become a fabric hoarder! ugh

Joanie2,
    I am so jealous of your closet! It looks wonderful. I have a spare bedroom that has been made into my sewing retreat. Everyone in my family knows that that room if off limits. Now, however, it looks like a storm has gone through it and I lost! I will have to spend at least one day to straighten it up. Yours is so organized, would you like to come to KY and help me? LOL.
    Love reading everyones comments on storage, it really helps me with ideas.

I love the use of clear bins for scraps and smaller pieces and hanging 'to be finished' quilt tops. I am int he process of creating a craft area in our finished basement. right now I just ahve a folding table with boxes/bins below it with misc craft stuff and DVD racks on top of the table (against the wall) on which I have my fabric stash, neatly wrapped around corrugated plastic boards. Shoe boxes currently hold my scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    I just finished folding and wrapping all of my fabric and fat quarters on coroplast boards (see tutorial by Alaskasunshine -- she's my hero). Then I stacked them on the bed in the guest bedroom. I can't figure out what to do with them now. So, I'm in the same situation as half the quilters on this board!
    Depending on the size of your coroplast boards, dvd/vhs racks work great. I cut mine to 9" high and they fit perfect. I fold my fabric in half and then in thirds and it fits nicely on the boards.

To JOANIE2 - (1) can I borrow your son to re-do my big closet; (2) I think I've just finished the same quilt you have hanging on the right-hand side of your picture. Looks nice hanging up.

Clear plastic boxes and stored color coded, than theme, flannel vs cottons, etc. I'm not saying they stay like that all the time but for the most part that is how they are sorted. I have anything over 2 yards flat folded on a shelve.

Looks like a commercial operation !!

Shelves, plastic totes, dresser drawers, under the bed.....way too much stash!!

I store mine in my closet, a standard smallish bedroom closet built in the mid 70's, on a white metal shelving unit w/5 shelves. Smaller cuts, like FQ and jelly rolls, etc. are in clear shoe box size plastic bins. I store backing fabs on the built in shelf above the shelving unit.

The fabric is kept out of the light, is easy to see when I open the closet door and it can breathe easily.

Larger items, like fleeces, home dec, and other things less often used are out in my "annex", the attached garage in larger clear plastic bins. Ditto with my batting.

That happens to me almost every week.... cause I'm always starting another project... mind you I do get projects done. I multi task them...LOL answer to ~~~ I orgainize and then start looking cause I'm starting another project... and it all blows up....~~~~~~ as tadpol 62 says And I have a room full of stash with my sewing table and cutting area included... and lots and lots of totes and some shelves but I'm short and the shelves are high.. LOL have had the avalanch happen to me.. Boy did I sit and laugh...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast