Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: How do you store your stash?

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
    I want to have my stash out where I can see all the fabric. I have those shelves you can buy just about anywhere. I try hard to keep the sun out and have not yet had problems with fading.
    Wow! I think dust would be my problem more than sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
    I want to have my stash out where I can see all the fabric. I have those shelves you can buy just about anywhere. I try hard to keep the sun out and have not yet had problems with fading.
    Wow! I think dust would be my problem more than sunlight.
    Nope......dog hair at my house.....then dust :)

WOW....Now that's a STASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
    I found out that you CAN have too much fabric in your stash! I store my stash in sweater organizers that hang from the bar in my closet. The bar is part of a wire shelf. We returned from vacation to find that the entire shelf had ripped out of the wall! Fortunately the shelf above had mostly empty boxes on it! The only machine that fell was my embellisher and it seems okay. (Maybe it was the tiny Maryland earthquake that happened while we were gone and not just the weight of my stash). Anyway, I need to redo my closet and am looking for suggestions.

elkridequilter, go to the tutorials and look up alaskasunshine. You might be able to use her ideal. It save room and easy to find the colors you need.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
    I found out that you CAN have too much fabric in your stash! I store my stash in sweater organizers that hang from the bar in my closet. The bar is part of a wire shelf. We returned from vacation to find that the entire shelf had ripped out of the wall! Fortunately the shelf above had mostly empty boxes on it! The only machine that fell was my embellisher and it seems okay. (Maybe it was the tiny Maryland earthquake that happened while we were gone and not just the weight of my stash). Anyway, I need to redo my closet and am looking for suggestions.

elkridequilter, go to the tutorials and look up alaskasunshine. You might be able to use her ideal. It save room and easy to find the colors you need.
    That is an awesome tute. Glad I revisited it. Thanks. I'm not sure if I know what cocoplast material is. Is it like the corregated plastic board? Where can it be purchased?

Very nice! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BettyB
    I just have to tell you about my storage space. We had an outdoor swimming pool built in 1984. Sometime in the 90's
    my husband decided to enclose it and attached it to the house. In the last few years it was used about 3 times. He decided to fill it in and make me a big quilting room. At first I said no, but the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. Here are a few pictures, as you can see you cannot keep your workspace neat if you are using it lol, at least I can't. I didnt take a picture of my cutting table because it is really cluttered, and by the way it use to be a hot tub. The hottub cover is wooden with a vinyl cover. I have a 56 inch cutting board on it.
    Awesome space!!! Let me know when your swimming pool quilt store opens for customers. Hehehehe WOW!

I have several tall bookshelves where I store my stash, plus 2 more that hold books and magazines! I also keep my scraps under the ironing board in a ouple of baskets and have several plastic boxes for in-progress projects. Seems to work pretty well, but I keep adding more fabric!

I am a newby and my stash is so small, I don't even have enough to divide into color groups. I am sooo envious. Just kidding ! Just looking at fabric makes me happy, so, you have a lot to be happy with.I look foreward to building a biiiig stash of fabric.

I have a large commercial chest of drawers with six large deep and wide drawers and a cabinet with shelves I store my fabric in.Also 30 gallon plastic tubs with lock down lids.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I use those plastic three-drawer bins. I fold my fabric using my 6 x 24-inch ruler, which makes it a perfect fit for those drawers. If I have a project in mind, I put the fabric and the pattern into plastic shoe boxes. Some projects require larger bins, but most fit into the shoe box size until I'm ready to start on them.
    I too use the plastic drawers, but stack them on top of one another so they are almost to the ceiling. Had hubby screw them into the wall for safety. I also have about 10 old suitcases which I keep under my work table. They are fun to collect and I just tie a tag on the handle to remind me what is inside...mostly batting and finished quilts.

I have about a dozen see through plastic totes. I also have fabric in a couple of chests of drawers. I try to organize by (1)project or (2) color.

I used to have my stash on old bolts from the fabric store but I read that the acid in the cardboard will turn your fabric white at the edges. So to say the least I panicked . Now I'm using Polor notions plastic boards like alaskasunshine uses. She made her own but I couldn't find the plastic boards.
    I found so far one bright pink that at each thin side of the bolt now has a white line. now I have alot of quarter sizes between the stripes.
    So don't use your cardboard bolts very long or you will have stripes. kjym kathy

Dee
    A closet full and 3 dishpacks full to the brim. My sewing room hold hundreds of yards of stash. Love fabric-who would of guessed?? LOL

Dee I know what you mean. My husband says I have more fabric than most of the quilt shops that he sometimes go into with me. At the moment I have 6 lg tubs full and 3 bookcases full. I know I'm abit over stashed but I love it.
    and I keep looking at all the new wonderful fabric out there.
    Scary isn't it??
    kjym Kathy

I have a room that I call "Crapalot". It has been the catchall for anything that doesn't have a home, the place to hide stuff when company comes and my sewing room. Well, my dd just got married and so I'm turning her room into my sewing room. I have no idea how I'm going to decorate and arrange my fabric. That room will be "Camelot". Then Crapalot will get gutted and prepared for my Mom to move in when she needs to. So, ideas and photos would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    I have a room that I call "Crapalot". It has been the catchall for anything that doesn't have a home, the place to hide stuff when company comes and my sewing room. Well, my dd just got married and so I'm turning her room into my sewing room. I have no idea how I'm going to decorate and arrange my fabric. That room will be "Camelot". Then Crapalot will get gutted and prepared for my Mom to move in when she needs to. So, ideas and photos would be appreciated.
    Oh my, your CRAPALOT is hilarious. If you don't mind, I'd love to make a sign for my little craft/sewing shop in my little south home using your name. It just fits so well.

I have a whole 10x12 shop all of myown but it's gotten so full of craft & sewing stuff your name really fits it. I taught crafts in our park a few yrs. ago so I have tons of craft stuff I need to find a new home for. I need more fabric space. I'm hoping to clean out my husb's shed (same size as mind) & use it to store extra stuff. How do we get so much "extra stuff"?

Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz

ROFLMAO
    :lol: Now I can rename my "sewing room.: I've been in the "CRAPALOT" all morning moving things around to make place for the overhead repurposed kitchen cabinet. I swear -- the stuff is growing! As I move stuff, I find more. Now it's overflowed into the hall and a nearby bedroom (the one that we need to sleep in tonight. Yikes!) I have cake decorating supplies in the other vacated bedroom so no chance of moving some of the stuff in there. And I have already purged as much as I want to. I've heard it said that you've go to create a mess in order to clean one up. Hmm, we'll see............

It's like my daughter is always telling me. I need to go to money spending rehab.

I just tell people that it's cheaper than therapy!

Blog Entries
    I just set up my Grace Frame & made a design wall in my guest rm and now one of GD is coming to live with me...she is so sweet she said " Nana don't rearrange for me" told her if I don't move the frame you won't be able to get in the bed...lol

Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    I just set up my Grace Frame & made a design wall in my guest rm and now one of GD is coming to live with me...she is so sweet she said " Nana don't rearrange for me" told her if I don't move the frame you won't be able to get in the bed...lol

That was sweet of her to be so considerate. Enjoy her while she's there. They grow up and get on their own so soon. Then you can have your space back.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I store my stash in plastic totes,the flatter ones and I have adresser in the closet. I also have milk crates zip tied together and smaller clear boxes on them according to color and basket in closet for the next quilting project. Rolling carts with drawers and some hanging on hangers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi

That was sweet of her to be so considerate. Enjoy her while she's there. They grow up and get on their own so soon. Then you can have your space back.
    Gail, thanks...this GD is planning on getting her nurses degree, whether she will stick it out here the whole time has yet to be seen, as moving here from Calif. will be a real switch but I am thankful for anytime I have with her.She is a good girl and will be a pleasure to have around.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5