Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your stash? >

How do you store your stash?

How do you store your stash?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Originally Posted by elkridgequilter
I found out that you CAN have too much fabric in your stash! I store my stash in sweater organizers that hang from the bar in my closet. The bar is part of a wire shelf. We returned from vacation to find that the entire shelf had ripped out of the wall! Fortunately the shelf above had mostly empty boxes on it! The only machine that fell was my embellisher and it seems okay. (Maybe it was the tiny Maryland earthquake that happened while we were gone and not just the weight of my stash). Anyway, I need to redo my closet and am looking for suggestions.
My son re-vamped my walk-in closet to hold all of my fabrics, etc. Here are some photos. Notice the small space where my clothes hang. I know what's more important -- fabric!
OMGosh I love your closet, my husband told me I was the only one in the world that got rid of clothers to have room for fabric
Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM

I use old woven baskets so I can see everything. I find them at auctions etc and put them in by color. I store them under and around my cutting table. I love it. Really big pieces fat backs are in a closet.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Folks, there is NO sUCH THING as TOO MUCH FABRIC!!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM

At the moment I have all my stash in plastic bins. But I have been washing and folding on those plastic boards from Polar Notions and now they are back in the bins but I plan on getting the glass door bookcases from IKEA and organizing them on shelves like books.
The only problem is I have to empty out the back bedroom then pull out old carpet,redue floor,paint then I can get it back together all nice and organized. Wish me luck I think I'm going to need it. Somehow I don't think my DH is going to be much help, so I guess it's going to be all my job. kjym Kathy
Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM

I try not to have a very big stash. I don't have much room for storage so I try to use up extra fabric and scraps making children's quilts for a local women's resource center.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Joanie, I love your organized stash. Do you ever come to Oregon lol.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM

I have the large plastic drawers stacked. 3 of them, about 10 roll carts for supplies, and shoe boxes for pre-cut shapes. Then in the closet I have shelves half way up the way on one side for fabrics, and a bookcase (tall) at the end of the closet full of fabrics that are NOT for quilting. My goal is to have it in clear boxes on the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73456.jpe   attachment-73460.jpe   attachment-73461.jpe   attachment-73465.jpe   attachment-73466.jpe  

Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM

My DH bought four 4"wide by 6" high and 18" deep cabinets. I promised him I would get rid of all the fabric that didn't fit in the cabinets. I put my fabric in clear plastic bins according to color and put them on the shelves. And fabric on bolts fit in too.. It worked fine at first but I have outgrown it and gotten a wee bit unorganized. I also have a set of those wire drawers, and 3 small plastic drawer units, plus one wall with shelves almost the full length of the room. A table that is covered with my latest purchases, and several of those plastic boxes for projects on the floor. I also have a clothes rack on wheels, I hang projects that I'm working on over the rod so they don't get wrinkled. One year I am going to stop and organize.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM

I've got may fabric all over the place. I have a room dedicted to sewing. I have a sewing table I built. Plenty of storage under it. I have 3 metal shelves full of fabric, many totes in several sizes (all clear) full of fabric. I have 4 sets of drawers on rollers (clear also) full of fabric. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I have a bunch of fabric in cardboard boxes just because I haven't had the time to put it all away. Basically I really need to reorganize because I have fabric all over the place. Who would have guessed, lol.. I have my fabric organized ( if that's what you want to call it, lol) by color and theme. Christmas, patriotic, halloween, fall, etc.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

WOW !!! That's some stash....I have never seen so much material outside of the stores....good luck with that!