Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart >

How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart

How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart

Old 11-22-2009, 05:11 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed that they have stopped selling certain brands and are adding their own label to replace that product. Seems before long it will only be their brand. I have 6 super wal-marts in a 50 mile radius of my home and they took the fabric out of every single one of them. I know the fabric store nearest to my house did a great fabric business, we complained but did not do any good. I am buying less & less there and trying to support local stores instead. Don't know about everyone elses area but the employees there could care less about customer service, I am lucky if I get them to say 1 word to me while being checked out. They act like I am inconveniencing them by checking out. :?: :?: :?: Go figure.......
Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 AM

I have heard from the ladies at the 'quilt' store, that cheaper fabric fades quicker. And it is true. my grandson's quilts that are 6 years old, and washed often are fading. and it was cotton from Walmart. close, quick, easy shopping when i was in the boonies of N.C. with a sick older mom.

Yet material from a nice quilt store, washed the same amount still looks brand new. and the poly/cotton scraps from a nurses uniform supply plant looks brand new also. i believe, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

I was told to email them to save ours. Nothings works just like I've complained about the heat being on during the summer. Its crazy. I can't breathe in there so barely go anymore. IF I do go, I go in the back door by the fabric area. I do love there fabs. :D
Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 AM

tarbender I am in NE Michigan by Lake Huron...we have 2 wm about 35 minutes away and 1 hour away. The one in town has no sewing department except the little zipper display I mentioned and their sewing machines. We do have a Ben Franklins that has great fabric for not so expensive projects...Love the quilt...really pretty
Old 11-22-2009, 06:03 AM

Your LQS and walmart all buy from the same place... try reading the end of the bolts.. China and India ect..lqs has more usa cause a lot of it sits a while because of the price...I buy as much as possible local cause postage is high..and no 50 or a hundred is to much for me. The 4 an 5 dollar walmart fabric is excellent faBRIC
Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 AM

For those of us who are concerned about buying American made fabrics, check out Connecting Threads. They only sell fabric made from cotton grown in the U.S. and manufactured in the U.S.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Fab...fabricInfo.htm

Old 11-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Banned

I work in the fabric dept at Walmart here in TN. We are one of only a few in our area to (hopefully) be keeping our dept. Our dept has been #1 in our district for 2 months running! We have customers from 3 states in there all the time, plus many others as far away as IL visiting us. We have a good selection, though I wish it was larger. Each W M has different selection of fabrics, some have more than others, most have none any more. I have found that our local Michael's store has more selection of Quilting notions than we do, plus they have fat quarters and we don't. Go figure.
HAPPY SHOPPING where ever you shop.
Speaking of work --- I have to get going!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Banned

I know they do not sell fabric but my favorite "Discount store" is Target. You get better quality merchandise, the sales are better, and the store is clean and organized. Plus they have 2 Super Targets here and they are huge!!! And even the grocery items(what few that I buy there) are cheaper than Walmart.

Billy
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM

I just went to my local Walmart and was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful selection of Christmas fabric they have...nice quality too...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I hate to say this but it would be a cold day in hell before I would step foot in a Walmart.

I used to go all the time back when they only carried made in USA stuff so you can guess how many years that has been. Since Sam Walton passed away it has been downhill ever since.

I would rather support my LQS or a my local Hancock Fabrics.

I know that some of you folks only have a Wally world to buy fabric locally and I might be in the same boat when I move to my farm in middle TN later this year, but I will be going to internet sites instead.

Billy
Billy, whatever will you do without your back yard shed...or are you planning a new modern one after the move???

mj