Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off? >

How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off?

How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 AM

This is my opinion: Ordinary machine light bulbs are not expensive to replace; however, if the machine is not computerized, I don't think it's a big deal to turn the machine on/off frequently. LED replacement lights are very expensive and mine have to be ordered and installed by the dealer (costing time and money). Because the machine with the LEDs is computerized, I leave it on during the entire time I'm going to be sewing each day; when I think I've done all I'm going to do for the day, I turn it off and unplug it. While it's on, I have it set to where the lights go out and the screen goes black after 5 minutes of not using it.

Last edited by weezie; 05-26-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 AM

I am lucky my Bernina 820 has a screen idle button so I hit that & the screen & the light turns almost off & when I hit it again it comes fully back on. I don't know if that is much different than just turning it right off but I have the choice.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 AM

I would not be turning your machine off and on so frequently if it is a computerized machine. That is hard on the motherboard of the computer. JMHO
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by humbird View Post
I also leave mine on as long as i'm in my sewing room. I do turn everything off when I leave the room, even if I think it may be for a short time, because I have a bad habit of getting busy doing something else and forgetting I have left the sewing machine, iron. lights etc on.
This is me too!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:37 AM

I turn mine off if I'm going to be gone more than 30 minutes. The calabration in my embroidery machine will eventually become off set and have to be taken to recalabrate it at 80 dollars a pop.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 AM

When I leave the room or stop sewing, although I sometimes forget and return only to see the light shining on!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 AM

A while back I had a similar conversation in reference to computers. I was told the bigger concern was wearing out the power supply by turning the machine on and off because of the power surge each time it was turned on.

I leave mine on until I am done for the day. Both my computerized Viking and my straight stitch only Juki.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:02 AM

I've had a number of Berninas from the 160 to the 820. My favorite button on two of them was the energy swaving button. Touch it and the whole thing goes into sleep mode. My travel machine has one. Great on retreats when your going to a meal!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:30 AM

I leave my Babylock Esante on the whole time I'm sewing and only turn it off when I'm taking a break or done for the day. I have my Babylock for almost 4 years now and light is still burning. I believe these newer machines have those bulbs that burn thousands of hours.

I would think turning the machine off and on throughout your sewing time would cause more maintenance issues over time than the light burning out. I'm not an expert by any means .... just a guess.

Babylock makes great machines - well made and long-lasting. If you have any concerns, just ask your dealer for their expertise.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:40 AM

Posing a question: On-off switches wear out, too. Which is the lesser of two evils? Machine left on all day or switches being flicked all day.