Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off? >
  • How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off?

• How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
    I also leave mine on as long as i'm in my sewing room. I do turn everything off when I leave the room, even if I think it may be for a short time, because I have a bad habit of getting busy doing something else and forgetting I have left the sewing machine, iron. lights etc on.
    Ditto for me!
    Old 05-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    If you can't get a replacement bulb get this: http://www.ecoluxlighting.com/index.html It works great. I use it for my FW because the light cover is metal and it gets too hot to turn the light on.
    Thanks for this info...good to know also for some of the machines that the bulbs just aren't bright enough!

Kif
    Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625
    I have a basic $99 brother machine. Sometimes it has at time been left on for Days!! The bulb finally blew after 3 years, so I will just get a new bulb~!!
    Same here...lol....have used the light on it for a night light.....teehee, almost 8 years now, haven't had to change the bulb yet.
    Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 PM
    Power Poster

I have to uncomputerized machines and turn them off when I leave the room. I'm afraid one of the cats may step on the foot control. I usually leave for more than half an hour.
    Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 PM

I'm a weird-o. I turn mine off every time I stand up (& since I'm a weird-o who also subscribes to the "sew a seam, press a seam" school of thought, that's often). I try to pamper my little Featherweight. Plus, I find replacement bulbs are hard to find.
    Old 05-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by PS Stitcher
    I would not be turning your machine off and on so frequently if it is a computerized machine. That is hard on the motherboard of the computer. JMHO
    That's basically what our computer guy told us. He works at a large hospital medical center and they never turn off their computers even in offices that are closed for the weekends.

He also told us that switching almost any lights on and off frequently would wear out the bulbs.

When I had to replace the light bulb in my Janome MD 6500 (I bought it used on Craigslist so have no idea how it was handles or the age of the machine) the cost was only $1.89
    Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM

I don't worry about the lights so much, they're cheap enough to replace. My new one has LED lights, so they're even easier - they just don't wear out.......
    The main reason I don't turn my computerized machine off in between tasks is that I don't want to have to remember the stitch/length/width/number to reprogram it when I turn it on again.
    When I do turn it off for the night, I write the settings on a post it note and stick it on the needle plate so I remember to reset the settings before I start sewing.
    Old 05-27-2012, 07:58 AM

I would not turn it off every few minutes like that. That can put wear and tear on the motor of the machine.

When I turn my machine on it gets turned off when I'm through sewing and don't worry about it even if I am pinning, ironing, whatever in between.

I've never had problems with having to replace light bulbs because of leaving it on. I've been sewing more than two years with some machines and have yet to replace light bulbs.

Electric company will tell you turning on and off switches of any kind will not save you electricity but rather use more because of the on and off switch and harder on your electrical circuits so seems to me it will be the same for any electronic machine such as this.
    Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM

I have a Bernina 180E...I leave it on for the duration of my sewing day...it has an ECO button that puts in into an energy saving mode and turns the light off. If I'm using a particular stitch and have it set a certain way I just push the ECO button and it comes back on without clearing any of the special settings I may have put in . I, too, have left it on overnight without any problems.
    Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

the machine is on from the time I go in until I turn the lights off for the night! I do turn off the iron if I know I am not going to use it for a while. I also unplug the iron as welll.