Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off? >
  • How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off?

• How Long Do You Leave Your Sewing Machine "Idle" Before Turning Off?

Old 10-14-2013, 08:31 PM
    Power Poster

The only machines I know of that "idle" are industrial machines with seperate motors. The motor has to be turned on before the machine will sew and when you stop sewing that motor keeps going until you switch it off. If you were talking about that kind of machine, I'd turn it off until I actually need to sew, because they are so noisy while the motor runs.
    Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 PM

I leave my on for hours at a time.
    Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 PM

If you have a more modern machine and have been using a specific stitch and not saved every time it is switched off you loose the information. Darn what was it length... Width ... Of the zigzag.
    It stays on for the days sewing.
    Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
    I want to preserve the life of the bulbs that provide lighting on my sewing machine so I try to turn it off if I am not going to use it for more than 5 to 7 minutes or so (if I'm pinning and it will only take a few minutes, I leave it on, but if I have pressing or more tasks I turn it off). I was really annoyed at myself one time when I left it on for over 4 hours while I was downstairs.

I have a Babylock Espire (computerize) and wonder if it is more harmful to the machine to be turned on and off several times in a 2 to 3 hour period?
    This kind of reminds me of hearing out the Ukrainians who drive around without their headlights on in order to save their car headlights. I had never heard of the problem before I met this situation. (obviously I'm not talking about the issue of safety, but about the idea of leaving off a bulb in order to help it last longer.). I'm like the poster who likes LIGHT!

I leave mine on unless I'm leaving for a few hours. Like the others who have said they've heard that turning things on/off is harder on the machine than leaving it on. I do the same for my computer. On it goes in the morning, off at night.

Is the cost of the lightbulb an issue? The on/off switch would surely be a more expensive repair than a very small sewing machine bulb.
    Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    I'm not sure about this but I know that turning household lights off and on every few minutes is not good for them. I would think sewing machines would be more sensitive to the electricity than house lights. I leave my embroidery machine on when I have a design on the screen but not actively sewing.
    The longest continuously working light bulb has been turn on for about 112 years. Well it has been turned off a few times to move the fixture and other various reasons. It was first turned on for a night light in a Livermore Ca fire house and I believe it's still there. It's said one of the reasons it hasn't burned out is because it isn't turned off and on. Not saying this would be the same in your sewing machine but who knows.
    Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM

Had my machine since 1973 and have never replaced the bulb. I leave mine on until I have finished using it.
    Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 AM

Had my machine since 1973 and have never replaced the bulb. I leave mine on until I have finished using it. It is not expensive to replace the globe so why worry?
    Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 AM

I leave mine on till I'm done for the day also. I too have had many brands of sewing machines over 50 years of sewing and I have never replaced a bulb.
    Old 10-15-2013, 04:02 AM

My machine automattily goes to sleep after 30 minutes. So I don't worry about it and it is an emb. machine
    Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 AM

I leave mine on all day as long as I am in and out sewing. If I turn it off I have to remember to reset the needle position and I have been known to forget until after i have sewn a long seam that is NOT 1/4 inch the bulbs are cheap and pretty easy to replace. I keep a couple spare on hand.